Topic locked

Re: China Open Wild Card and 1st Round Discussion!!

Postby NedB-H

wildJONESEYE wrote:but we need players to trully push Ronnie and Higgins like Davis did to Reardon. like Hendry did to Davis and how Ronnie did to Hendry.....

im as convinced as i can be without The emergence of Ronnie,Higgins and Williams in the 90s Hendry might have retired by now.

it has to evolve at the moment its slightly stuck. a few years back i thought Higgins was on his way out and only a matter of time before Ronnie follows since then John won 2 World Championships and good on him however instead of moving on Selby and Ding slipped back which has been disappointing.....now we need them to step it up at the crucible.

im a hendry fan and if he plays Selby at the crucible i cant lose i really cant if Hendry gets through yeyy another Q/F if Selby goes through yey bring on Ronnie and Higgins.

yeah but my point is you need a mix of the old and the new, the Davis and the Reardon, and Higgins & Ronnie are the old. I think there has been evolution, a few years back you could pretty much guarantee that the top four would be a combo of Higgins, Hendry, Williams and Ronnie, and the next five would be Doherty, Ebdon, Hunter, Stevens, Lee, in some order. Only two of those nine are still at the same level, and now we have guys at the top like Selby and Murphy who were nowhere until pretty recently.

Postby Wildey

yes but you need the feeling the old is under threat from the new at the moment its Higgins and Ronnie vs the rest.

ok sometime they get beat and thats always happened but they are the best 2 players at the moment and i think the sport needs someone other than thoes 2 as WC this year.

Postby Smart

I know what you are alluding to wild - that a new guard at the top of the sport might revitalise snooker. I also think that players in snooker gain things with old age (canniness, shot choice at crucial times), just as they lose other things (eyes not so good, staying power...).

ROS and Higgo do not look done whatsover to me. Yes they look older and have battlescars, but they also have so much experience and fear factor that goes with being legends of the game.

When ROS was good enough he won (the UK), like any good player you are old enough when you are good enough. Robbo has showed signs of breaking right thru, so has Ding and most frustrating of all Selby.

Those 3 should be the top 3 but thru lack of tournies (partly to blame) and lack of taking their opportunities, they are where they are.

Bottom line is that snooker and sport in general is a results business. Rankings (despite criticism) do not lie. <ok>

:wave:

Postby The Cueist

I would tend to agree with you on ROS and Higgins StalinESQ. <cool>

Snooker hasnt seen a dominance by two players over such a long period since Joe Davis and Walter Lindum.

A new guard is inevitable in time,Though i dont see it beginning to happen for at least another 3 or 4 seasons.

Selby wont be one of the new guard in my humble opinion.

Liang Wenbo will definiteley be there and so will Judd Trump.

We will see in the fullness of time.

Postby Wildey

thats a good point despite all the criticism of the Rankings 1 and 2 best players is Higgins and Ronnie by a mile all im saying is a new World Champion that is close to the top of the sport a Selby,Ding or Robbo not a player from nowhere like Murphy in 05 is what snooker needs so that Ronnie and John has a definite challenger to their crown. with respect to murphy in 05 he was not at that time a challenger.

Postby littlebylittle

I have to be honest and say that i think Higgins will win it again this year.As said in previous posts nobody seems to want to step up to the plate.Ronnie is obviously up there and i wonder if having his dad there will help him or could it hinder him.I can't see past those two for the time being(sorry im talking about the worlds in the wrong thread :ashamed: )

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

littlebylittle wrote:I have to be honest and say that i think Higgins will win it again this year.As said in previous posts nobody seems to want to step up to the plate.Ronnie is obviously up there and i wonder if having his dad there will help him or could it hinder him.I can't see past those two for the time being(sorry im talking about the worlds in the wrong thread :ashamed: )

:)

Postby Wildey

littlebylittle wrote:I have to be honest and say that i think Higgins will win it again this year.As said in previous posts nobody seems to want to step up to the plate.Ronnie is obviously up there and i wonder if having his dad there will help him or could it hinder him.I can't see past those two for the time being(sorry im talking about the worlds in the wrong thread :ashamed: )

dont worry

this is the thread of the next tournament but the next tournament is long away therefore im changing hedding to pre tournament discussion <ok>

Re: Pre China Open Discussion!!

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:24 days to go :mood:

23 and a half bro, look on the bright side.

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:24 days to go :mood:

wild, be happy with tourney thats on

i cant bucking see rubbish lol

Postby Bourne

Just to say, i'm happy to run the China Open. I'm yet to run one this season and feel obliged to. <ok>

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:Just to say, i'm happy to run the China Open. I'm yet to run one this season and feel obliged to. <ok>

<ok>

Postby Wildey

case_master wc wrote:
Bourne wrote:Just to say, i'm happy to run the China Open. I'm yet to run one this season and feel obliged to. <ok>

<ok>

im just happy for the china open to kick off lol

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:JUDD TRUMP TO WIN <ok> :clap: :cracker: TRUST ME <cool>

not a prayer witz more chance of your bumbag wining

well, im going to be sticking a few quid on him to win, ive that much confidence <ok>

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:JUDD TRUMP TO WIN <ok> :clap: :cracker: TRUST ME <cool>

<cool>

People on 606 are giving him an awful ribbing. Very uncalled for :sad: