Topic locked

Re: The Russelsheim Cup (EPTC 3)

Postby GJ

well done moyles

samuel <laugh>

Postby Witz78

Dissapointment for Wenbo but the 1600 ranking points have taken him to the brink of the top 16 again in the provisionals.

And Campbell is now safely inside the top 32 thanks to his PTC efforts in the last 3 event since the split.

And both finalists places in the PTC finals are now confirmed.

One more point, i now notice that Joe Perry is sitting outside the top 32 now in the provisional rankings. To be honest given his poor results for a while this aint a surprise but it just shows how the rolling rankings take effect quicker so he faces a race to keep his top 32 place ahead of the next cut-off after the UK. Continued poor form for Ryan Day and he could potentially end up having to play 2 qualifiers to get to the Crucible despite starting the season in the top16.

Postby vodkadiet

How has Campbell won this? Players like Dale and Campbell shouldn't be winning. Why can't some of these young guns shine? I don't know what to make of these results.

Postby Bourne

vodkadiet wrote:How has Campbell won this? Players like Dale and Campbell shouldn't be winning. Why can't some of these young guns shine? I don't know what to make of these results.

I guess he won because he took more frames than everyone else ...

Postby Witz78

vodkadiet wrote:How has Campbell won this? Players like Dale and Campbell shouldn't be winning. Why can't some of these young guns shine? I don't know what to make of these results.

i agree, the fact these 2 plus Pinches are among the players winning id dissapointing to me. I expected the PTC events to help level things out in the middle and lower end of the rankings and that the new blood, the young players would revel in the PTC and show their talents and slowly squeeze the old guard of journeymen down the rankings but it just isnt happening.

Postby vodkadiet

It seem like young players haven't got any match game these days,and the players who grew up in the 90s are too match tough for them.

Postby Bourne

I duno, Cope/Trump/Lisowski/Highfield all having good PTC campaigns, but you can't exactly blame the 'oldies' for playing well, experience counts for a lot ...

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:Marcus Campbell takes the first frame .

a win today for Wenbo will push him back in to the top 16 provisional

where will Marcus be if he wins tonight :redneck: :zzz: :redneck: :zzz:

30th

thank you for asking <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

i agree, the fact these 2 plus Pinches are among the players winning id dissapointing to me. I expected the PTC events to help level things out in the middle and lower end of the rankings and that the new blood, the young players would revel in the PTC and show their talents and slowly squeeze the old guard of journeymen down the rankings but it just isnt happening.

ive been telling you that for as long as i can remember.

snooker is a game where youth counts for very little against journeymen because you can tie them up make things complicated for them and their heads goes.

these are no surprise at all for me.

yes you get Talented youngsters breaking through and winning a PTC but then you counter that with the likes of Pinches and Campbell if you win Frames and pot balls no matter how you do it or how long you been doing it you will be sticking around.

Postby Casey

The truth is the likes of Pinches can put it up to the best away from the TV cameras.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:The truth is the likes of Pinches can put it up to the best away from the TV cameras.

which includes qualifying to the TV Stages

Postby NedB-H

People were moaning about the journeymen last year, we kept saying they're there for a reason, just cos they've never reached the highest levels doesn't mean they're mugs and any newbies will always have to play well to beat them. Trump etc aren't just entitled to a top-16 place, they have to earn it by showing they're better than the rest. Well done Marcus <ok> Hopefully some more success for the 35+ players still to come this year

Postby Roland

My read on it is that in Pinches case he was on a run of good form - he was sitting 4th in the PTC standings before his victory and he beat Ronnie O'Sullivan in the final so he deserves every credit.

The fact Campbell won 4-0 last night suggests that Liang Wenbo hit the wall. When tiredness comes into play, the more attacking player is in danger of losing to the more steady player. I think Liang punched himself out before the final. How many centuries did he make this weekend and did he play his first batch of matches on Friday or Saturday? If Liang played his on Saturday and Campbell played his on Friday then that proves my point.

As for Liang - the guy is a star. I don't know how anyone can't enjoy watching him play, and his heavy scoring is a feature of his game. Remember the Bahrain qualifiers where he made 4 centuries in a best of 9 and another frame winning break, which included 3 total clearances - 2 x 139 and 1 x 147 maximum.

I have to keep mentioning it because wildJONESEYE thinks it's nothing special and the balls landed kindly for him and it was easy - despite him not seeing a single shot of the match.

Postby Wildey

Wenbo made 3 centuries this weekend

Bingham lead the way with 4 and Marcus Campbell did not score a century.

Postby Wildey

PTC 1 Winner Friday=Mark Williams
PTC2 Winner Saturday= Mark Selby
PTC3 Winner Saturday= Tom Ford
PTC4 Winner Saturday= Barry Pinches
EPTC1 Winner Friday= Judd Trump
EPTC2 Winner Saturday= Shaun Murphy
PTC 5 Winner Saturday = Ding Junhui
PTC 6 Winner Saturday= Dominic Dale
EPTC 3 Winner Friday= Marcus Campbell

Saturday leads 6-3

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:As for Liang - the guy is a star. I don't know how anyone can't enjoy watching him play, and his heavy scoring is a feature of his game. Remember the Bahrain qualifiers where he made 4 centuries in a best of 9 and another frame winning break, which included 3 total clearances - 2 x 139 and 1 x 147 maximum.

I have to keep mentioning it because wildJONESEYE thinks it's nothing special and the balls landed kindly for him and it was easy - despite him not seeing a single shot of the match.

Thanks, I don't think anyone's ever mentioned that match before :redneck: Seriously though, I struggle to really enjoy watching him, he's too methodical and ploddy and too often makes poor selections. When his game is on, he could probably beat anyone but that goes for a number of players, when he's struggling he's very much there for the taking and doesn't know when to reel it in.

Postby Sarah Mount

For anyone interested, Mark Davis won the plate beating Reanne Evans in the final 3-2.

Other results courtesy of Janie Watkins are as follows:

Semi Finals
Mark Davis bt Martin O'Donnell
Reanne Evans bt Kurt Maflin

Quarter Finals
Mark Davis 3-2 Ian Glover
Martin O'Donnell 3-2 Joe Swail
Kurt Maflin 3-0 Chris Henry
Reanne Evans 3-1 Oliver Brown

Earlier Rounds
Reanne beat Gerrit bij de Leij, Thomas Cesal and Rune Kampe to reach the quarter finals.
Ian Glover got two walkovers
Mark Davis beat Igor, Phil Barnes, Adam Wicheard
Chris Henry got three walkovers!

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:So did Henry make the quarters without winning a single frame :chin:

he probably beat hendry in 1 walkover :redneck:

Postby Eirebilly

I dont know about anyone else but i am quite enjoying the fact that it is a broad sprectrum of players winning these events. It shows that in a non 'tv' pressurised event that the top players have to be up to their game and its also showing the 'journeymen' and future stars that they also can win. This is win win for snooker :D

Postby Roland

wildJONESEYE wrote:PTC 1 Winner Friday=Mark Williams
PTC2 Winner Saturday= Mark Selby
PTC3 Winner Saturday= Tom Ford
PTC4 Winner Saturday= Barry Pinches
EPTC1 Winner Friday= Judd Trump
EPTC2 Winner Saturday= Shaun Murphy
PTC 5 Winner Saturday = Ding Junhui
PTC 6 Winner Saturday= Dominic Dale
EPTC 3 Winner Friday= Marcus Campbell

Saturday leads 6-3

It still proves my point. Liang was punched out which is why he didn't win. Or rather, why he lost the final 4-0.