Topic locked

Re: So, how do people feel about The World Open now?

Postby randam05

Thanks for introduction Sonny. Would like to chat to him more..would be interesting to hear from someone my age about snooker. I been on his website, quite comical along with his list of fav players

* Michael Holt (Favourite)
* Davey Morris
* Tom Ford
* Andrew Higginson
* Paul Davies

Intrieged to hear his reasons for these bunch of players. Interesting. 14 he is.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Thanks for introduction Sonny. Would like to chat to him more..would be interesting to hear from someone my age about snooker. I been on his website, quite comical along with his list of fav players

* Michael Holt (Favourite)
* Davey Morris
* Tom Ford
* Andrew Higginson
* Paul Davies

Intrieged to hear his reasons for these bunch of players. Interesting. 14 he is.

yes Hardly the bunch of players Barry Hearn would Think as crowd Pullers for 14 year olds <laugh>

Postby randam05

haha i have some strange favourites too for a young man-

Joe swail
Dominic dale
Anthony hamilton
Nigel bond

Love watching that old bunch..shame theyre slowly dissapearing.. :-(

Postby randam05

I think people can see why i like the bunch of players I listed above, but his are very strange indeed.

Oh Cheesyman is very passionate about the players he likes. He is a very big Holt fan indeed.

Well..good for him..why such a big holt fan? Is there any reason?

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:haha i have some strange favourites too for a young man-

Joe swail
Dominic dale
Anthony hamilton
Nigel bond

Love watching that old bunch..shame theyre slowly dissapearing.. :-(

I like a bit of Dominic Dale action, I must say. Dunno why. Thought he played very well to win the Shanghai Masters that time. <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Ron, good guess, thered be 496 league matches in your tourny b4 the top 4 stage.
Roll on the World Open. Goin to it 4 six days, cant wait 4 the non stop drama

2 semis and a final makes that 499 :john:

With a third place play-off making it 500 :D

Postby SnookerFan

PLtheRef wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Ron, good guess, thered be 496 league matches in your tourny b4 the top 4 stage.
Roll on the World Open. Goin to it 4 six days, cant wait 4 the non stop drama

2 semis and a final makes that 499 :john:

With a third place play-off making it 500 :D

There's no way a tournament like that would ever happen, to be honest. Really, really nice idea. But it couldn't be executed.

Postby PLtheRef

I know.

Anyway to my thoughts about the W.O. now. - I remain sceptical about the short format. Its a great idea that like the FA Cup that some minnows can qualify and that shocks can happen, but back in 2006 when the GP introduced the Best of 5 frame format for the group stage, it came under heavy criticism - even though it meant you had the opportunity of four other games to qualify. I dont know how people are going to react to the best of 5 format for five rounds under the knock-out system. Its a format no-one will be used to when playing on the tour. It seems a shame really as it's been argued that this was to enable everyone to play on One Table. Not the worst idea in the world but with 43 players it doesnt work. Having one table works better in tournaments with less players to begin with, i.e. the Masters - the PTC finals would be a great example for it to work.

Setting up the final for a one session affair is something that could be understood but it shouldnt be at the expense of going through semi-finals the day before. The analogy 'aint broke dont fix it seems appropriate here'

If they want to have a number of Last 64 ties left before the finals as it were thats no problem for me but have it like this:

Day 1 6 qualifying round matches (First Round Draw done today)
Day 2 2 qualifying round, 4 first round matches
Day 3 6 first round matches
Day 4 6 first round matches (Second Round Draw)
Day 5 4 second round matches
Day 6 4 second round matches
Day 7 Quarter-Finals
Day 8 Semi-Finals
Day 9 Final

That way you can keep the best of 7 or best of nine format for the early rounds before going to the traditional 11, 19 for the final two days. Like I said, I dont see why the format has had to be condensed, it worked fine in the traditional format for the past few years. (I even think that the R-R could work in a double-elimination style group phase)

I think the players will be interested to see how it goes come the tournament is underway, but I dont think it will work and will soon be changed back. That said, I was a sceptic when they brought in the Random-Draw, and that has won me over.

Having eight groups of four in best of seven frame matches you could utilise this format)

Match 1: Player A v Player B
Match 2: Player C v Player D
Match 3: Winner of match 1 v Winner of Match 2 (winner goes through as Group Winner)
Match 4: Loser of match 1 v Loser of Match 2 (Loser is Eliminated
Match 5: Winner of match 4 v Loser of Match 3 (winner goes through as Group Runner up)

Have best of seven matches for the Groups (8 Matches per day - so roll on roll off) then for Day 6 have the last 16 using the same format with the Best of 9 coming in the qfs with the usual end to the tournament.

Postby randam05

I like a bit of Dominic Dale action, I must say. Dunno why. Thought he played very well to win the Shanghai Masters that time. <ok>

Dominic dale action rofl

He played awesome to win that shanghai masters, if he played like he did that week all the time hed be a high ranked top 16 player. Consistency is a problem for those players like Hamilton.

Joe swail is probably one of my favourite players of all time, think he is great and when I met him he was so kind and had a lot of time for you. Dont know if anyone saw the interview on BBC Wales after getting to the final of the welsh open but it was really quite sad and he just couldnt believe it.

Postby PLtheRef

Dale was the first player I ever watched at a snooker match. April 16th 2000 against Peter Ebdon at the Crucible. Eirian Williams the referee and Mark Williams beat John Read 10-4 on the other table.

Just in case anyone's interested

Postby Witz78

PLtheRef wrote:Dale was the first player I ever watched at a snooker match. April 16th 2000 against Peter Ebdon at the Crucible. Eirian Williams the referee and Mark Williams beat John Read 10-4 on the other table.

No, he wasnt, he was the JOINT first :john:

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
randam05 wrote:May have been the first player entered to the arena?

you probably just remember his entrance better than Ebdons :john:

Yes, yes. Thanks for your useful contribution. <doh> <laugh>

theres a joke in there but it obviously went right over your head <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
randam05 wrote:May have been the first player entered to the arena?

you probably just remember his entrance better than Ebdons :john:

Yes, yes. Thanks for your useful contribution. <doh> <laugh>

theres a joke in there but it obviously went right over your head <doh>

I got it. I was winding you up.

Postby PLtheRef

Witz78 wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Dale was the first player I ever watched at a snooker match. April 16th 2000 against Peter Ebdon at the Crucible. Eirian Williams the referee and Mark Williams beat John Read 10-4 on the other table.

No, he wasnt, he was the JOINT first :john:

Ebdon didnt really turn up for it. Hence why Dale was the first player I watched ;)

Postby randam05

I never knew this site hadnt even hit its one year anniversary yet. 14 days? Well thats when it said Sonny Joined so i guess it was then it started on the 29th sept 09?

Postby GJ

randam05 wrote:I never knew this site hadnt even hit its one year anniversary yet. 14 days? Well thats when it said Sonny Joined so i guess it was then it started on the 29th sept 09?

this great site was lauched around end of september last year

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:I never knew this site hadnt even hit its one year anniversary yet. 14 days? Well thats when it said Sonny Joined so i guess it was then it started on the 29th sept 09?

I was the Buzz Aldrin of Snooker Island <ok>

This site has some an awful long way in very little time, this time last year nobody could have predicted interviews with the likes of Cliff Thorburn, but it's been deserved. I can honestly say it is by far the best snooker forum on the internet, we've got the bulk of the top class posters, a beautiful smart layout, and long may the upward curve continue.