Topic locked

Do you think the absence of Wildcards is a good idea?

Poll ended at 09 Jan 2011

Yes
50%
No
25%
Don't Care
25%

Total votes : 12

Re: Wildcard Absence

Postby Bourne

It is a bit of a sad irony that Jimmy actually did way more in the last 12 months to earn the wildcard than he did last year, I do think it was the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of wildcards for this tournament, was just getting silly.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Sour grapes cos you know Hendry could only dream of receiving a reception like Jimmy did at last years Masters :chin: and sour grapes cos you know Hendry would never be offered a reality tv deal as hes boring :D

We get it, you think Jimmy being popular makes him worthy of a Wildcard place. You think the fact that he was offered a reality TV series amongst such A-List celebrities as Justin Ryan and Kim Woodburn makes him worthy of a Wildcard place. (I had to google it.) Others of us disagree. But skill-wise, you can't dispute it wasn't deserved. He got torn apart by Mark King, for bucks sake. It didn't just lose. Mark King tore him a new one. A few months later, King lost in the first round of The Crucible to young up-and-coming rankings climber, Steve Davis. A tournament Jimmy couldn't even qualify for.

Says all you need to know, really.

the same up and coming rankings climber who then beat John Higgins the reigning World Champion.

World Seniors Championship - Jimmy 4-1 Davis (who'd beat Higgins 13-11)

You can twist results any way you want for the benefit of an argument mate :D

And at the end of the day its called a WILDcard for that exact reason, if they wanted it to be the top 16 + the next 2 most deserving players then theyd just pick those 17th and 18th in the rankings as SAFEcards <doh>

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:I'll be brutally honest: I don't think Wild could give a fiddler's buck about either <laugh>

Dancing on Ice maybe after falling on his head once or twice he might realise how to use a cue again rofl

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Sour grapes cos you know Hendry could only dream of receiving a reception like Jimmy did at last years Masters :chin: and sour grapes cos you know Hendry would never be offered a reality tv deal as hes boring :D

We get it, you think Jimmy being popular makes him worthy of a Wildcard place. You think the fact that he was offered a reality TV series amongst such A-List celebrities as Justin Ryan and Kim Woodburn makes him worthy of a Wildcard place. (I had to google it.) Others of us disagree. But skill-wise, you can't dispute it wasn't deserved. He got torn apart by Mark King, for bucks sake. It didn't just lose. Mark King tore him a new one. A few months later, King lost in the first round of The Crucible to young up-and-coming rankings climber, Steve Davis. A tournament Jimmy couldn't even qualify for.

Says all you need to know, really.

the same up and coming rankings climber who then beat John Higgins the reigning World Champion.

World Seniors Championship - Jimmy 4-1 Davis (who'd beat Higgins 13-11)

You can twist results any way you want for the benefit of an argument mate :D

And at the end of the day its called a WILDcard for that exact reason, if they wanted it to be the top 16 + the next 2 most deserving players then theyd just pick those 17th and 18th in the rankings as SAFEcards <doh>

and then Hendry Beats Jimmy .......says it all really.

Postby Wildey

The Definition of a Wild Card is exactly what witz says it is thats why im pleased Barry Got Rid of it from the MASTERS...

theres no Room in the MASTERS for players thats not there on merit.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:The Definition of a Wild Card is exactly what witz says it is thats why im pleased Barry Got Rid of it from the MASTERS...

theres no Room in the MASTERS for players thats not there on merit.

Yes, there is that way of looking at it. And, like it or not, Jimmy is an example of why players who aren't there on merit should not be.

I'll miss it for the extra matches, but at the same time they weren't making up numbers. They had to start early to fit them in.