Topic locked

Re: Bank Of Beijing China Open Final Discussion!!!!!

Postby Roland

Was that the one at 8-6 when the black was over the hold from a Trump miss (which incidentally wasn't a blob, it was a difficult cut)?

That break was incredible and to convert it to a century was :bowdown:

And even at 8-8 when Selby again played on for snookers - that one he laid by criss-crossing the path of the pink and landing the white behind the black was 2nd best shot of the tournament after Lee's blue. And Judd escaped from it.

I have to say in the earlier half of the match Judd had the run of the ball, but to hold off Selby like he did was awesome.

Postby Wildey

in comentary this week Mike Smith said Reason Trump himself thinks hes not made the grade sooner he thought he would just Bulldoze through the Ranks when he first Turned Pro, at the time Mike said that i thought great hes pinpointed or accepted his failings at last.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Was that the one at 8-6 when the black was over the hold from a Trump miss (which incidentally wasn't a blob, it was a difficult cut)?

That break was incredible and to convert it to a century was :bowdown:

And even at 8-8 when Selby again played on for snookers - that one he laid by criss-crossing the path of the pink and landing the white behind the black was 2nd best shot of the tournament after Lee's blue. And Judd escaped from it.

I have to say in the earlier half of the match Judd had the run of the ball, but to hold off Selby like he did was awesome.

yes thats the one cannoning balls off the cushings like they were easy shots.but every one had to be perfect position to do it.

Postby Roland

Wild wrote:in comentary this week Mike Smith said Reason Trump himself thinks hes not made the grade sooner he thought he would just Bulldoze through the Ranks when he first Turned Pro, at the time Mike said that i thought great hes pinpointed or accepted his failings at last.

I think we can see why he thought that :redneck:

Postby Tubberlad

To bring up ranking final conversion rates tonight would be unfair on Selby. He did nothing wrong, he played immaculately, had a real go at it, but was very unlucky to take on a player in inspired form.

Postby Roland

It's amazing to think that you can put a few careless safety shots down as losing the final for Selby. It's not a case of missing crucial shots, but catching a red too thick and the white not getting back to baulk. Selby is a master of safety play so for him they are probably as bad as missing a ball over the hole.

What a standard though. It's hard to put into words just how good both players were. Potting balls is easy. If you have a pot then it's frame over unless you lose position and leave no possible pot on. You just didn't think either player would miss and they didn't.

Postby Tubberlad

I'd be quite hopeful of Selby for the Crucible. He looked a bit demoralised after thie final today, and you can hardly blame him as he did very little wrong, if anything at all. Trump was just brilliant from start to finish.

Postby jojo

make no mistake about it pal trump is now in the big time he possessing the all round game add to that the experience of winning a first ranking tournament against a very tough player beating him almost at his own game trump has put himself on the map

he will be dangerous at the crucible all the pressure lifted off him also playing the defending champion nothing to lose

as for selby he didnt do a lot wrong but two defeats in ranking finals in the space of a couple of months along with a few semis for good measure i think it going to have an adverse effect on him mentally a bit like tubby little fat bastard it beginning to build up for him he really whould have added to his one ranking event win from three years ago by now that will be playing on his mind

Postby Iranu

Bourne wrote:Selby was scoring heavily off almost every visit which put extra pressure on Judd, so to keep his nose in front all through the match the way he did was quite incredible taking into account it was his first ranking final and Mark has had a tonne more experience at this level, at 8-8 you'd make him heavy favourite but Judd's expression didn't change at all. He said before the match that he just wanted to enjoy it and play without a life and death scenario win or lose and that helped him :spot on:

This pretty much sums up why I think Judd is nailed on to become a multiple ranking event winner throughout his career. Not once did I think the occasion got to him, nor did I think he played any reckless shots, even towards the end. There was one missed pot which the commentators said was the first sign in the match of Judd feeling the pressure but I didn't think even that was an unfounded attempt. If I remember correctly (dubious) if the ball he attempted hadn't landed where it did it would have been pretty much a shot to nothing. if anyone remembers the pot I'm talking about, please feel free to correct me if I'm remembering wrongly.

But yes, Judd's demeanour throughout what I saw of the final, i.e. pretty much the second session, convinced me while I was watching that even if he lost he'd win a few rankers in his time. Now I'm convinced it will be more than a few.

Postby Roland

I can think of many players who would've been beat when Selby finally levelled at 8-8 but the 50 break Judd made at the start of the next frame was ridiculously effortless in the circumstances. He would've been feeling the pressure, make no mistake but it looked like he was on the practice table.

Postby gallantrabbit

It`s terrific for snooker having this fellow winning. He hits the ball beautifully and now he`s shown he`s prepared to mix it too he`s shown he has a real future. I personally thought Selby would knock him for six but although I like Mark, I`m happy as it`s great for snooker.
Haven`t been so hopeful for snooker`s future for moons. terrific stuff.

Postby Iranu

Sonny wrote:I can think of many players who would've been beat when Selby finally levelled at 8-8 but the 50 break Judd made at the start of the next frame was ridiculously effortless in the circumstances. He would've been feeling the pressure, make no mistake but it looked like he was on the practice table.

I thought the same, also when he was clearing up to close out the match. Could've been the opening frame of an intivational the way he played them I thought.

Postby Bourne

In a way also it's a good thing that he faces Robbo, because if he had a 'minor' seed like Cope/Walden/Fu etc, he might just have gone into the tournament a bit casually, almost believing that his performance in China was so good that he could breeze through. Now, there's absolutely no room for that complacency against the defending champ and he simply has to perform at that level again, and the pressure will again be on his opponent.

Postby John From London Town

Bourne wrote:In a way also it's a good thing that he faces Robbo, because if he had a 'minor' seed like Cope/Walden/Fu etc, he might just have gone into the tournament a bit casually, almost believing that his performance in China was so good that he could breeze through. Now, there's absolutely no room for that complacency against the defending champ and he simply has to perform at that level again, and the pressure will again be on his opponent.

:hatoff:
Crucible is a different beast tho.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:In a way also it's a good thing that he faces Robbo, because if he had a 'minor' seed like Cope/Walden/Fu etc, he might just have gone into the tournament a bit casually, almost believing that his performance in China was so good that he could breeze through. Now, there's absolutely no room for that complacency against the defending champ and he simply has to perform at that level again, and the pressure will again be on his opponent.

he would not be human if he did not feel more pressure as the china open champ but there will be more on Robbo but that what being defending WC is all about no matter who he plays.

he has to rise to the ocation playing trump now brings.

Postby Bourne

We don't really know how he'll react to playing at the Crucible this time, in 07 he embraced it and gave a very good account of himself in defeat. This time it's 4 years on and 4 years of near misses, but now with this extra confidence he has every right to go in thinking of himself as a contender.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:this has to be the match of the round though. I`m sure will think he can swat Trump away but a ranking win dds a bit of steel. I shall be on Trump, but heart over head is suicide rofl

before this week trump was one dimensional cannon fodder for Robbo he is not any more cant wait

off to the crucible countdown to see whats the score

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:this has to be the match of the round though. I`m sure will think he can swat Trump away but a ranking win dds a bit of steel. I shall be on Trump, but heart over head is suicide rofl

before this week trump was one dimensional cannon fodder for Robbo he is not any more cant wait

:sleepy:

Postby John From London Town

Bourne wrote:We don't really know how he'll react to playing at the Crucible this time, in 07 he embraced it and gave a very good account of himself in defeat. This time it's 4 years on and 4 years of near misses, but now with this extra confidence he has every right to go in thinking of himself as a contender.

I admire.....Your perserverance on the fella. Always have done. The 'boy' has done nothing but live with the pressures of expectations since he started. He certainly grew up today & this week. Grove Snooker may have grounded him?
I'm just saying he's not a shoo 'in to even beat Neil Robertson. He might, & if he does, it'll be enjoyable, but he ain't there yet....

Postby Bourne

I've honestly never said or thought once that Trump would beat Robbo I haven't even begun to analyse it in my head but this run this week certainly makes it a lot more interesting, when the draw was made I thought he could be a good challenge for Robbo but his lack of experience at the top venues could ultimately cost him when it came to the crunch. Then you see him beat the likes of Ebdon, Murphy and Selby this week in the manner he did and you have to give him the respect he deserves in the mental dept.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:I've honestly never said or thought once that Trump would beat Robbo I haven't even begun to analyse it in my head but this run this week certainly makes it a lot more interesting, when the draw was made I thought he could be a good challenge for Robbo but his lack of experience at the top venues could ultimately cost him when it came to the crunch. Then you see him beat the likes of Ebdon, Murphy and Selby this week in the manner he did and you have to give him the respect he deserves in the mental dept.

yes that match has gone from a 70/30 Robbo to a 55/45 Robbo in 7 days this week.

cant wait :excite:

Postby SnookerFan

What impressed me is that a week and a half ago, Trump was just somebody with potential, who didn't quite deserve all the bottom kissing he was given on this site. Potential, yes. But people were talking about him being a future world champion after a lot of first and second round exits. I'd have said, despite how much he was loved on this site, he was strong favourite not to win this tournament, and his first round againt Neil Robertson at The Crucible was nothing special compared to Williams vs Day, Ronnie vs Dale or Higgins vs Lee.

However, almost out of nowhere, he develloped a rock-solid safety game. He wasn't that good a player in the PTCs, it's like his game has improved 100% overnight. Robertson was saying he was glad he drew him, he might not be so glad now.

The commentators on Eurosport weere saying; "Who knows? Maybe he'll win the World Title." A bit premature, perhaps. And it's unfair to pile the pressure on the young man after winning one tournament. He played very well, and we should enjoy his win. Not discuss what else he may or not win yet.

But, he's certainly justified the 'future of snooker' tag we've had to listen to for the past four years, and I have more faith he'll progress then I did before.