Topic locked

Re: *Championship League Winners Group 2010*

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:In Stevens case I see it more of a sign of lack of confidence. He does take an age on some obvious shots but you can tell he's trying to talk himself into playing it rather than deliberately delaying to put off his opponent.

it always is a sighn of lack of confidence. i bet every player wants to play fast and like Ronnie realistically they cant....there are some that uses it as delaying tactics but far less so than players in the past like Ray Reardon and Fred Davis they was grand master at it.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Well I'm afraid love it or hate it those tactics are 110% legit. I've had it done to me many times by players who have spotted my flow and deliberately slowed the pace of the game down. People used to do it to Jimmy all the time in the 80's. Obviously some people will hate it but personally I love watching matches when these sorts of mind games are going on. The best one was the 2009 Masters and Ronnie was the one with the longer shot time over the whole match.

I don't do it myself because it knocks me out of my rhythm unless I'm really getting pumped and feel the need to fight my way into a game but I certainly appreciate the tactic. It's no different to boxers holding each other, it doesn't look great at times but it's effective.

If you want to get rid of that side of the game then you've got to start thinking of bringing in a minimum shot time to counter those fast players who blow their opponents away at speed.

I know they are legit to an extend. I say to an extend because obviously the rules are addressing the situation in such terms that it certainly is considered ungentlemanly conduct when pushed. The only problem is "how far can it be pushed?" and of course there is no answer to that as it all depends on the circumstances. That does not prevent me from appreciating long safety exchanges, not at all, in fact I like them. It's really being there waiting for the player to play his shot, when you know what he'll do and you know he knows what to do ...
I'm not a fast player myself but I have been annoyed more than once by opponents taking ages over their shot selection, not once, but for each and every shot, and not necessarily on purpose BTW. When a frame drags over an hour because of this I'm afraid I lose interest, especially at the end of the evening of a long working day. But someone has to explain to me how your opponent playing fast can possibly bother you. And this is a genuine question. I just don't get it. Unless you planned a nap... :chin:

Postby The Cueist

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:In Stevens case I see it more of a sign of lack of confidence. He does take an age on some obvious shots but you can tell he's trying to talk himself into playing it rather than deliberately delaying to put off his opponent.

it always is a sighn of lack of confidence. i bet every player wants to play fast and like Ronnie realistically they cant....there are some that uses it as delaying tactics but far less so than players in the past like Ray Reardon and Fred Davis they was grand master at it.

Afternoon fellas <ok> I have always taken the aattitude that when it is my shot and it is a difficult situation then it is my table and if i want to wander around it 3 or 4 times to suss out the best way to proceed then i will take all the time i need.

I feel It is up to any player,It is their choice as it is their table they are left with. :john:

Postby Wildey

couldn't agree more The Cueist and thats a very important part of snooker for me how players can cope with it.

Postby Smart

thats how I see it too, he is more than capable of most shots (obviously discounting rest shots and left hand shots under pressure) BUT he tends to need a "gee up" quite often during breaks <ok>

Postby Alex0paul

My guess at the PL lineup would probably be this

1. Murphy
2. Fu
3. O'Sullivan
4. Higgins
5. Hendry
6. Ding
7. Robertson/Selby/World Championship Winner

Postby Monique

Well my guess is

Higgins
ROS
Fu
Murphy
Robertson
Selby
World Champ - if this one is one of the previous, then Hendry.

Ding will not be there, now Fu has qualified, unless he wins the WC. I can't see 2 chinese in the mix. Their sell factor is not big enough in UK.
Robertson will be there, he's got a good season and he's Australian.
Selby will be there as Masters champion and because the rivalry with ROS will add some spice.

Postby Smart

There is horrible feeling going thru me similar to previous seasons - when we think of the names we would like to play this version of the game and yet in all likeliness we will get nothing that we wanted........

..... youth needs to be on the list, but it has all been knocked out in the best of 5 lottery that is the CL.

Trump
Allen
Cope

All gone.

But dont worry we have still got these to look forward to:

Higgo
Hendo
Fu

Sorry but I expect another terrible line-up and will pick and choose when to watch........ snookers worst spin off (even BigBreak was better). :wave:

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Well my guess is

Higgins
ROS
Fu
Murphy
Robertson
Selby

Ding will not be there, now Fu has qualified, unless he wins the WC. I can't see 2 chinese in the mix. Their sell factor is not big enough in UK.
Selby will be there as Masters champion and because the rivalry with ROS will add some spice.

thing is mon Hendry was picked above selby this season so most probably in which i don't agree at all with it Hendry would get a nod.

Postby Alex0paul

Monique wrote:Well my guess is

Higgins
ROS
Fu
Murphy
Robertson
Selby

Ding will play because he is the UK Champion. Every UK Champion has been invited and only Ebdon hasn't played because he couldn't travel from Dubai every Thursday for a best of 6.

Postby Wildey

my picks would always be

World Champ
UK Champ
Defending Champion
World No 1
CL Winner
Ronnie O'Sullivan

so on that basis as it stands obviously a new WC Will be in place before next Season but for now hes Higgins

John Higgins
Ding Junhui
Shaun Murphy
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Marco Fu

leaving 2 place vacant.
Mark Selby because i think him v Ronnie is electic and Neil Robertson deserves a place for consistently winning tournaments every year since 2006.

Postby Roland

If Selby plays then I'm interested. Ideal line up:

O'Sullivan
Higgins
Selby
Murphy
Ding
Liang
Fu (because he's there)

Expected line up

O'Sullivan
Higgins
Murphy
Hendry
Fu

2 of Ding/Selby/Robbo/world champion/runner up

Postby Roland

If push came to shove I think Williams would just edge it. If they meet at the Crucible my natural instinct will tell me who I want to win... it'll be tough for sure. Maybe I'd plump for Selby on the grounds that he's more likely to go the distance and lift the trophy where with Mark Williams sometimes he puts in a bad session these days. I don't know, Williams favourite player ever, Selby current favourite player.

:huh2: