Post a reply

Re: The Greatest Hits Quiz!

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Not Fleetwood Mac. Band had a singer who was already famous before they were formed.

9 would be more mainstream than Nick Cave.

Postby James Bentley

Just thought I'd have a quick look in, thought this list would have been completed by now!

3. is Wings (or Paul McCartney & Wings, not sure how they were billed that early on). The banned single that preceded it was "Give Ireland Back To The Irish".

8. is Paul Anka.

Postby SnookerArcher

LDS wrote:Bryan Adams was very big in the late 80s and early 90s, so I'll try him.

14 or 16weeks at no.1 for the Robin Hood prince of thieves soundtrack wasn't it? My favourite song of his is his collab with Mel C When you're gone.

Postby HappyCamper

It was sixteen weeks, the longest consecutive run. Though Frankie laine once had a longer total number with eighteen weeks iirc.

Postby chengdufan

SteveJJ wrote:9. Terrorvision

It took a while to click, but then I got the gist.

Cracker of a tune :-D

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Scoreboard:

1 Allison - Pixies (Reg Varney)
2 Veronica - Elvis Costello (Juddernaut88)
3 Mary Had A Little Lamb - Wings (James Bentley)
4 Polly - Nirvana (Stevejj)
5 Carrie-Ann - The Hollies (LDS)
6 Alisha Rules The World - Alisha's Attic (Snookerarcher)
7 Caroline - Status Quo (Iranu)
8 Diana - Paul Anka (James Bentley)
9 Josephine
10 Stacy's Mom - Fountains of Wayne (Juddernaut88)[/quote]

Postby SnookerArcher

HappyCamper wrote:It was sixteen weeks, the longest consecutive run. Though Frankie laine once had a longer total number with eighteen weeks iirc.

I wrongly heard it was 14, going way back to the late 90s during secondary school, my source of misinfo? Not the internet but teletext if you remember that.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Scoreboard:

1 Allison - Pixies (Reg Varney)
2 Veronica - Elvis Costello (Juddernaut88)
3 Mary Had A Little Lamb - Wings (James Bentley)
4 Polly - Nirvana (Stevejj)
5 Carrie-Ann - The Hollies (LDS)
6 Alisha Rules The World - Alisha's Attic (Snookerarcher)
7 Caroline - Status Quo (Iranu)
8 Diana - Paul Anka (James Bentley)
9 Josephine - Chris Rea (HappyCamper)
10 Stacy's Mom - Fountains of Wayne (Juddernaut88)

I think that's a 3 way draw.

Postby Iranu

Was Chris Rea really more mainstream than Nick Cave?

Not arguing but I only know him for Driving Home For Christmas, whereas Nick Cave is a name I’ve grown up knowing even without listening to him, so that’s interesting.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Iranu wrote:Was Chris Rea really more mainstream than Nick Cave?

Not arguing but I only know him for Driving Home For Christmas, whereas Nick Cave is a name I’ve grown up knowing even without listening to him, so that’s interesting.

Rea sold more albums and he has a few songs that get regular radio play. I heard Lets Dance on the radio this afternoon. Cave would be a bigger name critically and probably has more younger fans. I was at a wedding last year and all the tables were named after albums and mine was after Caves The Boatman's Call.

Postby James Bentley

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
Iranu wrote:Was Chris Rea really more mainstream than Nick Cave?

Rea sold more albums and he has a few songs that get regular radio play. I heard Lets Dance on the radio this afternoon. Cave would be a bigger name critically and probably has more younger fans. I was at a wedding last year and all the tables were named after albums and mine was after Caves The Boatman's Call.

Among music fans, Nick Cave is undoubtedly the bigger name (partly because of his longevity) . But Chris Rea (despite the major part of his career being 30+ years ago) is definitely the more mainstream and would have more name recognition within the general public. His songs are still played regularly on middle-of-the-road radio stations, "Driving Home For Christmas" is guaranteed to back in the top 40 hit every December, etc.

Postby Dan-cat

Nick Cave and Chris Rea both brilliant but yes Chris Rea far more mainstream.

Check out Josephine, the French Edit, a Balearic classic that I will drop many times over the coming summer.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Had an idea for a question but I think I've given away part of the answer already. I'll have one this afternoon.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:Nick Cave and Chris Rea both brilliant but yes Chris Rea far more mainstream.

Check out Josephine, the French Edit, a Balearic classic that I will drop many times over the coming summer.

Butterfingers :no:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Question:

What is the total age of the ten songs? The year for three of them have been already given away so I'd expect the answers to be fairly accurate. The year is when each song was first released, not the year it was a hit or released as a single. Because I'm so late with the question you have the whole weekend to provide an answer instead of the usual 24 hours.