Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby chengdufan

HappyCamper wrote:What is now Ghana.

That's not the answer I'm looking for

Postby chengdufan

HappyCamper wrote:British Togoland?

Very close, but he was born further west.

Postby chengdufan

HappyCamper wrote:the british gold coast,
i think one was called.

Correct <ok>

I'm surprised no one got this sooner. I thought Ghana formerly being called Gold Coast was quite well-known

Postby HappyCamper

What is the name of the music genre which arose in colonial Ghana, a fusion of local music styles played with western instruments such as jazzy horns and guitars?

Postby HappyCamper

McManusFan wrote:Is it Afro beat?

Not afrobeat, which arose primarily in Nigeria in the mid twentieth century. It was highly influenced by the correct answer.

Postby James Bentley

Highlife?

I'm not overly-familiar with what sort of music it is to be honest, but I was reading an interview yesterday with a guy who set up a music streaming service in Nigeria, and he was talking about afrobeat and highlife as being two of the staple popular African genres. But I think it too is Nigerian rather than Ghanaian so it's probably not right anyway.

Postby HappyCamper

highlife is correct!

there is a more specific sub genre, igbo highlife, which developed later in nigeria. music does tend to cross borders somewhat.

Postby James Bentley

Well I never expected that!

"Back In The High Life Again" was a minor hit single (although it has become a bit of a playlist favourite on certain middle-aged radio stations) for which UK artist?

Postby Running side

Is it the guy who started the crazy hitting sixes over the keeper while looking at the bowler,can't remember his name, Dil something.

Postby HappyCamper

Born to Sri Lankan-Tamil parents in London in 1975, musician and activist Mathangi Arulpragasam is better known by what stage name?

Postby James Bentley

HappyCamper wrote:Born to Sri Lankan-Tamil parents in London in 1975, musician and activist Mathangi Arulpragasam is better known by what stage name?

Got to be MIA.

Postby HappyCamper

James Bentley wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Born to Sri Lankan-Tamil parents in London in 1975, musician and activist Mathangi Arulpragasam is better known by what stage name?

Got to be MIA.

It is.

Postby James Bentley

Described by Time Out as "so bad that it defies belief; xenophobic, amateurish and extraordinarily dull", the 1984 film "Missing In Action (MIA)" stars which action hero?