Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby Iranu

Not cosmic or dark.

The Large Hadron Collider is an example of a ______ accelerator, which is the same word you’re looking for.

Postby Iranu

rekoons wrote:Particle horizon

Correct! :D

I don’t think I’d ever heard of it until I looked it up for this question.

Postby rekoons

Yay!

I heard about the horizon part but not the particle part.

Next question: what is the hottest temp recorded on Mars?

(+/- 5 °C)

Postby McManusFan

You'd think it'd be pretty nippy on Mars, but I wonder if this is a trick question and there has been a really hot temperature measured on a probe entering the atmosphere, so I'll stab at 400C.

Postby rekoons

It's really a 'normal' max temp. Not a trick question from some freak event or anything.

And I should specify ambient surface temp.

Postby rekoons

Correct!

Here are the low - average - high temps °C for both:

Earth: -90 14 60
Mars: -140 -63 30

Also worth mentioning that because of the much thinner and drier atmosphere 30 degrees on Mars would feel warmer than 30 on earth.

Postby HappyCamper

scientist and mathematician anders celcius was born in which european city; it is home to the university at which he was professor of astronomy, one of the oldest higher education establishments in scandinavia?

Postby HappyCamper

not københavn. the university of copenhagen was established in 1492 making it the second oldest in scandinavia. notable professors from the institution's history include physicist niels bohr.

Postby HappyCamper

not helsinki. the older of her two universities, the university of helsniki, was established in 1640. and opens every pedants favourite argument about whether finland is part of scandinavia.

not stockholm. stockholm university is the fourth oldest in sweden, having been granted university status in 1960.

Postby HappyCamper

not göteborg. whose main university is the third oldest in sweden, and gained university status in 1891.

i assume you mean helsingborg? in which case no. otherwise, also no.

Postby HappyCamper

not trondheim, home to the norwegian university of science and technology, formed from a merger of several older universities.

Postby HappyCamper

LDS wrote:Mecklenburg? No, I've no idea how to spell it & it's probably a German town. Are Schleswig and Holstein towns?

you're thinking of german länder, i think.

chengdufan wrote:I'll try Malmo

not malmö. malmö university was only granted university status in 2018.