Post a reply

The Missing Vowels Quiz!

Postby Prop

Inspired by SnookerFan’s love of Only Connect, I thought we could have a go at a snooker-themed version of the Missing Vowels Round.

For those not familiar with the format, the idea is to solve a puzzle by completing the word or phrase that is missing its vowels. For example, if the puzzle is WMBLYCNFRNCCNTR, the correct answer is Wembley Conference Centre.

Which brings me on to the other aspect of the game - categories. To make things go a little smoother, the puzzle-setter should state the particular category the puzzle falls into. So that particular example would be Venues. I’m not going to draw up a list of categories, because that’d only serve to reduce the scope of the game in the future. Instead, the onus is on the puzzle-setter to state the category and do so accurately, without giving too much away. Categories don’t have to follow any particular pattern. The puzzles can go from one category to any other as puzzle-setters see fit.

The quiz will follow the same format as most quizzes on here; the first to correctly answer a puzzle gets to set the next one. The puzzle-setter must identify the first correct answer for the next puzzle to be set.

The letter Y is a consonant. Any attempt to argue otherwise means you’re Dan.

September 2023 Update

Following a review of the quiz, the decision has been made to grant power of attorney to Judders, along with amendments to the rules, as follows:

A new question must be posted within 4 days of a question being correctly answered.

If a player fails to post a new question within 4 days they will automatically be excluded from participating in the next question, and their contributions will not be counted. They are free to participate after the next question has been completed.

In the event of the question setting deadline not being met, Judders has the authority to either 1) Request that the previous question setter posts a new question, or 2) Choose who (of the regular quizzers) posts a new question.

Resolution of any disputes, and general housekeeping of the quiz will be handled by Judders.

The quiz rules and power of attorney are subject to periodic review.

Thanks.

January 2024 update:

So, here goes :-)

Commentary Catchphrases

THTSJSTLTTLBTFTNSN
Last edited by Prop on 12 Jan 2024, edited 5 times in total.

Re: The Missing Vowels Quiz!

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:“That’s just a little bit of tension.”

Correct <ok>

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:IF YR PPNNT NDS TW Y FL Y HV CHNC.

If your opponent needs two you feel you have a chance

Postby Iranu

Commentary:

HSNFTHNCSTLDSYCLDVRWSHTMT
Last edited by Iranu on 06 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Prop

Remember, we need a category with your submissions please <ok>

Postby Prop

He’s one of the nicest lads you could ever wish to meet!

Postby Prop

Seems we’ve got two winners at the minute - I’ll duck out and let D4P’s puzzle continue

Postby Prop

D4P wrote:Category: Creepy

THLVLVKK

The lovely Vikki

Love the category rofl

Postby Ck147

The lovely vikki (didn't think Y was a vowel though)

Postby D4P

Ck147 wrote:The lovely vikki (didn't think Y was a vowel though)

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. But I think the "y" in "lovely" essentially acts like a vowel in that case...

Postby D4P

Why am I all of a sudden getting a "At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this." message in this thread when I try to post something...?

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:He’s one of the nicest lads you could ever wish to meet!

Bingo!

Postby Prop

Just added to the rules - the first correct answer must be identified by the puzzle-setter before the next puzzle is set. Just keeps it all in order.

Postby Iranu

D4P wrote:Why am I all of a sudden getting a "At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this." message in this thread when I try to post something...?

It's when someone posts between you opening your post page and you pressing post. I don’t think it happens in the match threads, or at least I never notice it.

Postby D4P

Iranu wrote:
D4P wrote:Why am I all of a sudden getting a "At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this." message in this thread when I try to post something...?

It's when someone posts between you opening your post page and you pressing post. I don’t think it happens in the match threads, or at least I never notice it.

Yeah, that's why I asked. I never get that message in most of the other threads...

Postby Prop

Prop wrote:Category: Thai Snooker

HNDSNKRCLB

Still waiting on this one...

Postby D4P

Prop wrote:
Prop wrote:Category: Thai Snooker

HNDSNKRCLB

Still waiting on this one...

Hi-end Snooker Club