Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby chengdufan

Mark King

Postby Prop

Is it Judd?

Tied or tie reform could mean a couple of things. He’s recently called for bow TIES to be scrapped. So that’d be dress code reform.

And also, if two players are tied, you could say they’re currently drawn. He might have called for changes to the draws of tournaments, but I’m not 100% on that.

Postby chengdufan

That's a good shout, I think you might've got it, Prop.

I was thinking Martin Luther was the key Reformation figure, and if you tie a name to Martin Luther, it would be Martin Luther King.

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:That's a good shout, I think you might've got it, Prop.

I was thinking Martin Luther was the key Reformation figure, and if you tie a name to Martin Luther, it would be Martin Luther King.

Yeah I feel the bow tie link is perhaps less tenuous than the draw. But I’m still not convinced!

Postby Prop

Just getting Ebdon in there before James does!

Think we’ve had this before but a tide will ebb, and the river Don might have a tide of sorts.

Postby AlfGit

chengdufan wrote:I was thinking Martin Luther was the key Reformation figure, and if you tie a name to Martin Luther, it would be Martin Luther King.

Another link to Mark King could be King Canute, who is known for trying to 'reform' the tide.

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:
chengdufan wrote:I was thinking Martin Luther was the key Reformation figure, and if you tie a name to Martin Luther, it would be Martin Luther King.

Another link to Mark King could be King Canute, who is known for trying to 'reform' the tide.

I like that one <ok> Hopefully Iranu can let us know soon…

Postby James Bentley

Prop wrote:Just getting Ebdon in there before James does!

Think we’ve had this before but a tide will ebb, and the river Don might have a tide of sorts.

<laugh>

I was going to suggest Ebdon but couldn't think of a way to relate the clue to him. I don't think I have the lateral thinking skills for these.

Postby Prop

James Bentley wrote:
Prop wrote:Just getting Ebdon in there before James does!

<laugh>

I was going to suggest Ebdon but couldn't think of a way to relate the clue to him. I don't think I have the lateral thinking skills for these.

Tbh some of them are pretty evil! I used to enjoy the odd cryptic crossword as a student. Transferable skills, I guess :-)

Postby Iranu

Not King, Judd or Ebdon

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:Not King, Judd or Ebdon

Oh, for crying out loud <doh>

Postby Iranu

Not Tai Pichit

Further clue:

Carry Rose

Postby Prop

Hmmm :chin: Well, there was a reform of rule following the Wars of The Roses. The Tudors established themselves, and York and Lancaster were done with IIRC.

Doesn’t really point to anything. Probably the wrong line of enquiry.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:Hmmm :chin: Well, there was a reform of rule following the Wars of The Roses. The Tudors established themselves, and York and Lancaster were done with IIRC.

Doesn’t really point to anything. Probably the wrong line of enquiry.

Don’t be so sure...

Postby Prop

The Tudors ‘tied’ the red and white roses of York and Lancaster as part of the reform. There’s an Edward and a couple of Henrys involved. Yeah, I’m stumped <laugh>

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:The Tudors ‘tied’ the red and white roses of York and Lancaster as part of the reform. There’s an Edward and a couple of Henrys involved. Yeah, I’m stumped <laugh>

You’re so close to making a real breakthrough on this!

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:The Tudors ‘tied’ the red and white roses of York and Lancaster as part of the reform. There’s an Edward and a couple of Henrys involved. Yeah, I’m stumped <laugh>

I wish I shared your optimism!

I wonder if the red and white roses could be related to the red and white balls :chin:

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I wish I shared your optimism!

I wonder if the red and white roses could be related to the red and white balls :chin:

I can tell you right now they aren’t. But I assure you you’re close, in a much less complicated way than you seem to think!

Postby Prop

Ash Hugill? He’s from York.

Postby Prop

Or Ronnie? The last time there was a decider (tied) in the UK final at York Barbican was 2014, Ron beating Trump 10-9.

Postby Iranu

Not Ronnie. But you’ve now also identified the meaning of clue 1. Put that together with your logic for clue 2.

You’re a hair’s breadth from the answer!

Postby Prop

Hendry then? A decider in Preston (house of Lancashire) could have been 96 (10-9 against Higgins).

Or maybe it’s Alex Higgins. He was in deciders in both 82 and 83 in Preston, losing to Griff and beating Davis, respectively.

Postby Iranu

Not Hendry or Higgins.

Bear in mind that if you take part in a decider it’s not actually a “tie”. The first clue relates directly to the first name in question.

Postby Prop

Drew Henry

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:Drew Henry

Bingo!

Knotted = tied, which in a synonym of drew in terms of drawing a match

Carry is a homophone (or nearly) of Carey, as in US comedian Drew Carey

Henry VIII is well known for the English Reformation in which the Church of England devolved from Catholicism. He was also part of the House of Tudor which took part in the Wars of the Roses

Over to you!

Postby Prop

It really was right in front of me :roll: Back in 5!

Postby Prop

Tunguska adjusted

Postby chengdufan

Prop wrote:Tunguska adjusted

Rebecca Kenna

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:
Prop wrote:Tunguska adjusted

Rebecca Kenna

Not Kenna. Yellowstone could equally apply.