Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby Iranu

No, although it sounds like you’ve identified JR. Think some more about connecting that to the previous second word clues. I have a feeling you’re close.

Postby Iranu

Not Dominic. Mnemonics have nothing to do with it.

Postby AlfGit

I might be completely on the wrong track, but I have a couple of possibilities that I can justify. If I say "E3", then on the off-chance that I am correct, Iranu will know what I mean (?). If I am wrong, it probably won't help anyone else. <laugh>

Cliff Wilson
Willie Thorne

Those are my two best guesses, but I have more if they are both wrong.

Postby Iranu

I only know E3 as the video game convention. It means nothing to me as part of this quiz, sorry <laugh>

It’s not Cliff Wilson or Willie Thorne.

Postby Iranu

Two further words:

Todd Court

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:I only know E3 as the video game convention. It means nothing to me as part of this quiz, sorry <laugh>

It’s not Cliff Wilson or Willie Thorne.

Hmm. Every single one of your clues points to E3. That is quite a coincidence. :chin:

Postby AlfGit

Rod Lawler?

Postby Iranu

AlfGit wrote:Rod Lawler?

Correct! Your reasoning?

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:

Correct! Your reasoning?

When I first saw 'Field', I immediately thought of In Flanders Fields, the poem. It used to be printed on C$10 bills. The second clue was King. Ed Flanders and Larry King both appeared in The Exorcist III (E3).

You also said Ring, and Brad Dourif was in Exorcist 3 and also Lord Of The Rings trilogy, so that seemed to fit. Then you said JR and I thought of JR Ewing from Dallas. Funnily enough, there was an actor in E3 called Patrick Ewing.

Anyway, that was wrong! Flanders also reminded me of Ned Flanders from The Simpsons. When you said Todd, which is one of the Flanders boys, I guessed Rod as the answer. (Rod and Todd were named to rhyme with God). Lawler just loosely tied in with Court.
Last edited by AlfGit on 09 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby AlfGit

I had one ready to go, but I have just discovered that it is now considered an 'offensive' term! :shrug:

Sorry, I will have to think of another one. Please give me a little time.

Postby Iranu

AlfGit wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Correct! Your reasoning?

When I first saw 'Field', I immediately thought of In Flanders Field, the poem. It used to be printed on C$10 bills. The second clue was King. Ed Flanders and Larry King both appeared in The Exorcist III (E3).

You also said Ring, and Brad Dourif was in Exorcist 3 and also Lord Of The Rings trilogy, so that seemed to fit. Then you said JR and I thought of JR Ewing from Dallas. Funnily enough, there was an actor in E3 called Patrick Ewing.

Anyway, that was wrong! Flanders also reminded me of Ned Flanders from The Simpsons. When you said Todd, which is one of the Flanders boys, I guessed Rod as the answer. (Rod and Todd were named to rhyme with God). Lawler just loosely tied in with Court.

Your reasoning for the first word was kind of bang on. In Flanders Fields > Ned Flanders > Rod Flanders.

The second clue, King, referred to Jerry “The King” Lawler who would commentate on what was occurring in the Ring. His longtime co-commentator was Jim Ross, more commonly known as JR.

E3 I’m afraid was no more than a happy coincidence! Although I thought some people might think of Dallas.

When LDS mentioned two Rosses I figured he’d identified JR as Jim Ross.

Postby AlfGit

JR's full name is John-Ross Ewing, and JR could also mean Jonathan Ross. Whichever way, it's Ross!

I got lucky with Lawler. I did try to reconcile Don King, the boxing promoter (ring), but that led nowhere.
Last edited by AlfGit on 09 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby AlfGit

I think there is a good chance of this one being solved without any hints.

Second Brush

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:David Taylor, the sliver fox, for silver medal = second & Basil Brush the famous fox puppet.

Exactly right! I thought it would be relatively easy, but I expected it to last a little longer than that! I should have stuck with my offensive one. <laugh>

Kudos LDS. Your turn!

Postby McManusFan

Mark King?

Stephen King + Mark Lee (apparently a Canadian rapper)

Postby LDS

Running side is on the right track, this isn't one that involves playing with words, but it's also not a fatty.

Next clue for the same guy:

Desperate Dan

Postby AlfGit

Stephen Maguire?

He looks more like Desperate Dan than any of the other players, and they are both of Scottish origins.

Postby AlfGit

Lei Peifan?

Postby McManusFan

LDS wrote:Looking for a player in the World's qualifiers once again.

Even easier clue:

Pastry Supporter

I was hoping there was a player called Greg somebody, or somebody Greggs, but no such luck. I can't believe there hasn't been a pro Greg snooker player.

Postby AlfGit

McManusFan wrote:
LDS wrote:Looking for a player in the World's qualifiers once again.

Even easier clue:

Pastry Supporter

I was hoping there was a player called Greg somebody, or somebody Greggs, but no such luck. I can't believe there hasn't been a pro Greg snooker player.

I made a guess of Greg Forsythe to Prop’s clue of Ebdon Dozen a while back. It was wrong, but I looked for a Greg to go with (Baker’s) Dozen and he was the only one I could find.

Postby chengdufan

I have no idea. Not for want of trying.

Postby chengdufan

Greg Casey, the Irish amateur entered the Worlds qualifying in the past (last year?) but not this year. I don't think pastry relates to Gregg's

Postby Prop

Martin Gould? The ‘tin’ of Martin supporting pastry?