Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby McManusFan

Arid=Dry, Fowl=Hen. Dry + Hen = Hen + Dry by the commutative property of addition, hence Hendry, Stephen Hendry.

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:Arid=Dry, Fowl=Hen. Dry + Hen = Hen + Dry by the commutative property of addition, hence Hendry, Stephen Hendry.

Of course <ok>

Over to Macca...

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:Ok, here goes:

Sunking's Shiraz

I’ve got an idea, but he’s not a player. He’s recently become involved with the game. Am I on the right track?

Postby chengdufan

I'm thinking Silvino Francisco because of the vino, but haven't figured out how the rest could fit yet

Postby McManusFan

Prop wrote:

Sunking's Shiraz

I’ve got an idea, but he’s not a player. He’s recently become involved with the game. Am I on the right track?

The answer is a player. I'm curious as to who you were thinking of though.

Postby McManusFan

chengdufan wrote:I'm thinking Silvino Francisco because of the vino, but haven't figured out how the rest could fit yet

I like it, but it's not right.

Postby McManusFan

I've edited the clue a tidy bit to clear it up a tad.

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:
Prop wrote:

Sunking's Shiraz

The answer is a player. I'm curious as to who you were thinking of though.

I was thinking Louis Theroux (he’s working on the ‘golden years’ snooker production).

The Sun King was one of Louis XIV’s nicknames.

Shiraz is a red wine, and Roux can mean red, or redhead in French.

If it’s not Theroux, is it Louis Heathcote? I’m struggling to explain the Shiraz link with Heathcote, though.

*edit Meant Shiraz, not roux
Last edited by Prop on 06 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby McManusFan

It is Louis Heathcote. You were right about the Louis XIV connection. Heathcote is a wine region in Victoria known for its shiraz.

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:It is Louis Heathcote. You were right about the Louis XIV connection. Heathcote is a wine region in Victoria known for its shiraz.

Ahh. Got it half correct then!

Here’s another...

Glasgow Nimbus.

Postby chengdufan

Prop wrote:
McManusFan wrote:It is Louis Heathcote. You were right about the Louis XIV connection. Heathcote is a wine region in Victoria known for its shiraz.

Here’s another...

Glasgow Nimbus.

Is it Stephen Maguire? He's from Glasgow and I think Maguire might mean cloud in Gaelic. Can't remember where I heard that and I probably remembered wrong!

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:
Prop wrote:

Here’s another...

Glasgow Nimbus.

Is it Stephen Maguire? He's from Glasgow and I think Maguire might mean cloud in Gaelic. Can't remember where I heard that and I probably remembered wrong!

Not correct, but I like your thinking.

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:Rory McLeod perhaps?

Correct <ok>

Bit of a sneaky one, this. Glasgow simply denoted the ‘Mc’, rather than anything specific to Glasgow.

And of course, nimbus is a type of cloud.

Postby chengdufan

Mark Selby

Postby McManusFan

chengdufan wrote:Mark Selby

Correct, Selby is a town in North Yorkshire that resides upon the river Ouse.

Postby chengdufan

Alien beast

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Mark Allen

I guess you're thinking along the lines of Mork Alien? Good effort, but not who I have in mind.

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:Alfie Burden? Alf, the famous TV alien of sit-com fame + Burden = a donkey, the beast of burden.

Well done LDS, you got it!

Postby chengdufan

Amine Amiri, whose A initials should give him the nickname, 'The A Team'

Postby McManusFan

Peter Gilchrist? MRT is the name of Singapore's equivalent of the tube, and Peter Gilchrist is the only pro snooker player I could find to have represented Singapore. He's best known as a fantastic billiards player, but did participate in the 1994 World Championship.

Postby chengdufan

My next guess is

I pity the (Marco) Fu...

Postby McManusFan

Maybe T as in Tee, as in tee off and golf. Mr Golf can only refer to Dennis Taylor.

Postby LDS

Oh wow, that's a surprise, I thought I'd get back to someone getting it real quick and then waiting hours for me to say it's correct, but no correct answers yet.

Are we supposed to give clues in this quiz?