Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby SnookerEd25

A surprise first (and, so far, only) Ranking Event Final for this gentleman, and it was on his native soil to boot. There was no fairytale ending though, as one of the top players in the world handing out a merciless drubbing.

Postby Juddernaut88

I was thinking Ian Mcculoch vs Ronnie in 2004 Grand Prix. Then I realised Mcculoch also reached the British Open final in 2002.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:I was thinking Ian Mcculoch vs Ronnie in 2004 Grand Prix. Then I realised Mcculoch also reached the British Open final in 2002.

Not Ian McCulloch, who managed all his snooker achievements while continuing to be the lead singer of Echo & the Bunnymen; a fine juggling act. :ok:

Postby Juddernaut88

Zhou Yeulong lost 9-0 to Neil Robertson in the European Masters final in 2020 but that wasn't Zhou Yeulong native soil so that won't be applicable either :/

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Zhou Yeulong lost 9-0 to Neil Robertson in the European Masters final in 2020 but that wasn't Zhou Yeulong native soil so that won't be applicable either :/

You said it yourself : not the answer :sad:

Postby chengdufan

Was it Ding beating Mehta in the Indian Open? 2016ish

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:Was it Ding beating Mehta in the Indian Open? 2016ish

Congratulations :clap:

It was 2013, but you have correctly IDENTIFIED THAT MATCH <ok>

Ding bt. Mehta 5-0 to lift the inaugural Indian Open title.

Postby chengdufan

Can't believe it was that long ago. Time flies.

A player who divides opinion comes from behind in a major semi-final to beat another player who divides opinion. The forum continues to talk about it until 2074.

Postby Juddernaut88

Ronnie O Sullivan vs Mark Selby 2020 World championship semi final?

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Ronnie O Sullivan vs Mark Selby 2020 World championship semi final?

That's the one :-)

Postby Juddernaut88

Best of 7 final but this was a ranking event.

2 top players involved. The winner of the match trailed the final 3-0 but turned the match around to win 4-3. The winner also made a maximum earlier in the tournament.

Postby Juddernaut88

Clue the tournament was the players tour championship grand finals.

Postby Andre147

2013 was it? Ding cameback from 3-0 down to beat Robertson. I remember he played brilliant that week, many century breaks.

Postby Juddernaut88

Andre147 wrote:2013 was it? Ding cameback from 3-0 down to beat Robertson. I remember he played brilliant that week, many century breaks.

Yes that's the one :hatoff:

Postby Andre147

Match goes to a deciding frame, this player finally beats the other in a ranking event after so many failed attempts.

This match was notable also because that very same evening all of the other matches went to a deciding frame, and for me remains one of the best evening's of Snooker I've witnessed.

Postby Juddernaut88

Mark Williams VS Ronnie O'Sullivan International championship quarter final 2014? Mark Williams won 6-5, his first win over Ronnie in like 12 years.

Postby Andre147

No. This player had never beaten the other in a ranking event. MJW obviosuly had before 2014.

Postby Andre147

Raphael98 wrote:I am not completely sure, but is it the German Masters 2015? With Shaun Murphy defeating Ronnie O'Sullivan by 5-4?

Correct! Murphy beat him after many failed attempts.

I never forget this evening, all 4 quarter-finals ended 5-4. Murphy and Ryan Day won, Selby too against Trump with Trump making a 147 for good measure, plus Maguire winning against Robertson by needing a snooker in the deciding frame! An evening to remember. :hatoff:

Postby Raphael98

Ok, another apology for the long delay, but school issues took place. But here is the match: a former multiple time World Champion winner won for the first time against a former multiple time World Championship finalist and the tournament was in its final editions before coming back this season. If needed, I will give clues. Good Luck :)

Postby Iranu

Hmm. Mark Williams vs Jimmy White, British Open 2003?
Pure guess

Postby SnookerEd25

Raphael98 wrote:Ok, another apology for the long delay, but school issues took place.

Did you get detention - AGAIN? :hmmm:

Postby Raphael98

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Raphael98 wrote:Ok, another apology for the long delay, but school issues took place.

Actually I have not had a detention, because I only just started school (first day of a new semester). But I have been slow in setting up questions, that is a fact.

Postby Raphael98

Raphael98 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Actually I have not had a detention, because I only just started school (first day of a new semester). But I have been slow in setting up questions, that is a fact.

And I do seriously apologise for the slow setting up of them.

Postby Andre147

Peter Ebdon v Jimmy White British Open 2000?

Postby Iranu

Raphael98 wrote:
Raphael98 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

And I do seriously apologise for the slow setting up of them.

I mean, it sounds like you deserve detention...