Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Juddernaut88

Ranking final between a player that had won a few ranking titles in his career against a player that had still yet to clinch one. The favourite would race into a 3-0 lead and lead the first session 5-3, the slight underdog would turn it around and win 9-6 for a famous win to clinch his 1 and only ranking title to date.

Postby SnookerEd25

I’ll try Anthony Hamilton v Allister Carter, German Masters a few years back, 2018 I think? :chin:

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:I’ll try Anthony Hamilton v Allister Carter, German Masters a few years back, 2018 I think? :chin:

Correct players and correct match, just the year that needs amending.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:I’ll try Anthony Hamilton v Allister Carter, German Masters a few years back, 2018 I think? :chin:

2017?

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

2017?

Correct :hatoff:

Postby SnookerEd25

:happy:

Went the right way. 2019 seemed too recent…

Question to follow tomorrow.

Postby SnookerEd25

A question will be forthcoming. You cannot rush these things…

Postby SnookerEd25

Two overseas players deliver an epic SF, in one of the newer majors; the victor can’t quite go on to convert his triumph into a fourth Ranking Event triumph…

IDENTIFY THAT MATCH :chin:

Postby Juddernaut88

Could it be Marco Fu vs Ding Junhui Players Championship semi final 2017?
Marco Fu won 6-5.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Could it be Marco Fu vs Ding Junhui Players Championship semi final 2017?
Marco Fu won 6-5.

Nailed! :clap:

A contender for my favourite match of the last five years, certainly of those played outside the confines of the Crucible <ok>

Postby Juddernaut88

This should be a nice and easy one. World championship semi final. Both players met in the World final the previous year. The defending champion would beat this opponent yet again at the Crucible. This time it was even more closer but it didn't go to a decider.

Postby Iranu

A world champion won his final ranking title in this close encounter with a multiple (non-world champion) ranking event winner, in a close match. The winning player made four century breaks.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:Ebdon v Maguire, 2012 China Open Final?

Correct!

Postby Andre147

This player in this particular match came just one frame short of becoming the youngest ever ranking event winner.

Postby Iranu

In this match, the winning player ended a run of three ranking final defeats in a row, beating a player who would go on to be among the very best of all time.

Postby Juddernaut88

Grand Prix final between John Higgins and Ronnie O'Sullivan 2005? Higgins winning 9-2

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:In this match, the winning player ended a run of three ranking final defeats in a row, beating a player who would go on to be among the very best of all time.

John Higgins vs Anthony McGill, Scottish open final 2021?

Postby Iranu

McManusFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:In this match, the winning player ended a run of three ranking final defeats in a row, beating a player who would go on to be among the very best of all time.

I hope not!

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

I hope not!

Oh it can't be that, the CoC wasn't ranking. Silly me.