Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby SnookerEd25

Ali Carter is a good bet for one of the players here, I will posit Joe Perry as a likely opponent; they played a SF in 2008, and may well have played a qualifier several years earlier… :chin:

Postby Raphael98

SnookerEd25 wrote:Ali Carter is a good bet for one of the players here, I will posit Joe Perry as a likely opponent; they played a SF in 2008, and may well have played a qualifier several years earlier… :chin:

You are correct! They played in the last 96 of the World Championship of 2000, with Perry winning by 10-5. Your turn :)

Postby SnookerEd25

For the second successive year, the final of this prestigious invitation event featured the same duo, and (ultimately) the same winner; but whereas the former contest was relatively one-sided, this one went all the way to a deciding frame…

Postby Juddernaut88

The only ones I can think of at the top of my head are Masters finals in 1989 and 1990 between Hendry and Parrott but 1989 was more closer than 1990.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:The only ones I can think of at the top of my head are Masters finals in 1989 and 1990 between Hendry and Parrott but 1989 was more closer than 1990.

Not correct I’m afraid, but closer than you might think…

Postby Andre147

Maybe Steve Davis at the Irish Masters? 93 and 94 were against McManus, not sure...

Postby SnookerEd25

Andre147 wrote:Maybe Steve Davis at the Irish Masters? 93 and 94 were against McManus, not sure...

Spot on Cyril! :clap:

‘93, Davis bt. Angles 9-4
‘94, Davis won 9-8 to deny Angles a Masters double (he’d won the London version in a decider against Hendry a couple of months prior)

These were Davis’ record 7th & 8th triumphs in the event. He wasn’t to win another, though made the final 2yrs later when he lost to Darren Morgan.

Well done <ok>

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Maybe Steve Davis at the Irish Masters? 93 and 94 were against McManus, not sure...

‘94, Davis won 9-8 to deny Angles a Masters double (he’d won the London version in a decider against Hendry a couple of months prior)

These were Davis’ record 7th & 8th triumphs in the event. He wasn’t to win another, though made the final 2yrs later when he lost to Darren Morgan.

Well done <ok>

Don't you mean spot on Andre lol

Postby Andre147

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Well done <ok>

rofl <ok>

Postby Andre147

One of the frames in this match between two legends of the game was won when one of them required 6 snookers!

Postby Juddernaut88

John Spencer vs Jimmy White? Although I'm not sure about the year or tournament. I'll guess Grand Prix in 1986

Postby Andre147

Judders is correct about the players, but wrong year and tournament.

BadTemperedCyril has the tournament right.

What year then?

Postby Andre147

Juddernaut88 wrote:Jimmy White vs John Spencer
1987 Dulux British Open?

Correct! Jimmy was too casual in some of his escapes, and Spencer being very experienced took advantage of it.

Your turn

Postby Juddernaut88

New tournament and 2 surprise finalists.
One had won a ranking title in his career previously, the other player would reach his 2nd ranking final of the year.
The player that had won a ranking title previously before would win 9-6 to clinch his 2nd ranking title.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Well done <ok>

Oh b*gger yeah. :emb:

Got caught up in the moment. Apologies to all concerned :sad:

Postby Andre147

I don't think this one is too hard, but can't quite figure it out at the moment... need to think more about it.

Postby Andre147

Oh I think I got it...

2007 Shanghai Masters, Day v Dale, with Dale winning his 2nd ranking event. Is that the one?

Postby Juddernaut88

Andre147 wrote:Oh I think I got it...

2007 Shanghai Masters, Day v Dale, with Dale winning his 2nd ranking event. Is that the one?

Yes that's the one :hatoff: over to you.

Postby Andre147

Again a question when snookers were required to win...

This player needed 4 or 5 snookers (don't know the exact number) in the deciding frame of a prestigious invitional tournament, got them and made his way into the Final.

Postby Juddernaut88

I feel I should maybe know this but struggling. I will need to do some thinking.

Postby Andre147

No guesses so far? I'll wait a bit more before I give a clue.

Postby SnookerEd25

I think this was Mike Hallett in the Masters, but I can’t remember if it was ‘88, when he was whitewashed by Steve Davis in the final, or ‘91 when he collapsed against Hendry :chin:

The SF opponent was John Parrott though.

Postby SnookerEd25

Passive-aggressively waiting for confirmation :hmmm:

Postby Andre147

That's indeed correct Ed! Mike Hallet won the 1988 Masters Semi-Final against John Parrot in the deciding frame, after requiring 5 snookers.

Your turn

Postby Andre147

On a side note, Mike Hallet's case at The Masters is an interesting one... in the 1988 Final he was whitewashed 9-0, in the 1991 Final he was one ball away from winning the title. Hope he's doing ok heatlh wise, he's had some problems recently and I believe that's why he stopped commentating for ES.