Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Raphael98

Andre147 wrote:Peter Ebdon v Jimmy White British Open 2000?

Once again very close, it is this tournament, but the year and players are incorrect, unfourtanetely.

Postby chengdufan

Williams v Carter 2002 British Open

Postby Raphael98

chengdufan wrote:Williams v Carter 2002 British Open

You got it Chengdufan! Carter had won the first matchup, ironically in the same tournament, but in 2001, with Williams winning this match in 2002. Over to you :)

Postby chengdufan

A first time Crucible qualifier beats a legend in round 1 and reaches the semi finals. He would never get to that stage again despite a very long career.

Who played in that semi final? And what was the year?

Postby SnookerEd25

John Pulman v John Spencer, 1977?

Pulman having beaten Fred Davis in R1

:chin:

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25 wrote:John Pulman v John Spencer, 1977?

Pulman having beaten Fred Davis in R1

:chin:

Good shout, but not that one

Postby SnookerEd25

I suspected not, but threw it out there because it does *technically* fit the bill :chuckle:

I would guess the match you’re thinking of is Andy Hicks’ run to the last four in 1995; he beat Steve Davis in R1, and Peter Ebdon in the quarters (can’t think of his R2 opponent off the top of my head) before falling to Nigel Bond.

Of course, Hicks may yet replicate his ‘95 run :chin:

Doubt it though :hmmm:

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25 wrote:I suspected not, but threw it out there because it does *technically* fit the bill :chuckle:

I would guess the match you’re thinking of is Andy Hicks’ run to the last four in 1995; he beat Steve Davis in R1, and Peter Ebdon in the quarters (can’t think of his R2 opponent off the top of my head) before falling to Nigel Bond.

<ok> one of my favourite World Championship runs

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:I suspected not, but threw it out there because it does *technically* fit the bill :chuckle:

<ok> one of my favourite World Championship runs

The Cream of Devon was an absolute joy to watch around that time, and of course was also a semi-finalist in the Uk later that year, and the Masters the following February - despite never making the official end-of-season top 16 (as it was then)

I’m sure his Chengdu Ranking was far more favourable, and indicative of his form at that time.

Question to follow <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

A new professional qualifies for his first tournament by means of a home wildcard; he sensationally whitewashes a former World Champion in his first outing as a pro’.

Identify that match…!

Postby SnookerEd25

I am surprised this has gone under the radar, it was a big shock at the time.

The World Champion concerned is now retired, his conqueror has gone on to be one of the leading players in the World and is still competing at the highest level.

The year was 2005.

Postby Iranu

Ding beating Ebdon in the 2005 China Open or something?

Postby Juddernaut88

Opps I missed the part where Ed said the year was 2005. Deary me that is just so careless a this level :emb:

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Opps I missed the part where Ed said the year was 2005. Deary me that is just so careless a this level :emb:

<doh>

Postby SnookerEd25

It’s not Ding v Ebbo either. Think closer to home.

Postby Juddernaut88

I don't think anyone is getting this. Maybe reveal the answer and post another question instead.

Postby SnookerEd25

Come now, that’s just laziness :no:

Multiple World Champion (how many of those have their been?)

His conqueror played (and won) this morning.

The match was in 2005.

It’s literally on a plate for you. (not literally)

:hmmm:

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:Allen v Davis

ChengduFan :hatoff:

Consider yourself elevated to the status of a deity <ok>

Mark Allen 4 Steve Davis 0, Northern Ireland Trophy

:clap:

Postby chengdufan

In a 2021-22 season ranking event last 64 match, the eventual tournament winner beats his compatriot to extend his head to head record against him to 9-4.