Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby badtemperedcyril

Empire State Human wrote:I believe you've mentioned it before, and I remember Dave Hendon bringing it up in commentary, as you said ... Dale v Drago. 1999?

Yes, that’s the one

Postby Empire State Human

A World Championship semi-final clash between players who have each won the world title.

At the time, one had won the title, and the other was a future winner. The future winner managed a monster recovery from a 7 frame deficit to level the match in the final session, but then did not win another frame as his opponent made 3 one-visit frames.

Postby Empire State Human

Cyril is correct. I watched it at the time, but had forgotten all about it until I found it online recently. The score suggests it was a good match, but I'm not sure it was particularly memorable.

And Murphy then collapsed completely in the final.

Anyhow, your go! <ok>

Postby badtemperedcyril

Ok. A second round match at the Crucible between two veterans, both former world champions. The older man led by a single frame on eight occasions but eight times the younger man levelled. Then, losing an hour long frame seemed to break the older man and he never won another frame.

Postby SnookerEd25

This Steve Davis v Terry Griffiths, I believe; 1996

Postby SnookerEd25

Quarter-final at the Masters, between two of the most popular players in Snooker history. The favourite, ranked WN2, led 3-1 and 5-2 but uncharacteristic errors enabled his opponent (WN11) to forge his way back and force a decider. WN2 led the final frame 49–19 but a missed safety shot on the red allowing WN11 to achieve a clearance ending on the blue ball and win the match 6–5.

Postby SnookerEd25

badtemperedcyril wrote:2002. White beat O’Sullivan

That’s the one <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

badtemperedcyril wrote:The man from Stoke beat the man from Radcliffe 88-29

Ray Reardon bt. John Spencer in a frame of Pot Black?

Let’s say in, oooh, 1984? :chin:

Postby badtemperedcyril

SnookerEd25 wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:The man from Stoke beat the man from Radcliffe 88-29

Ray Reardon bt. John Spencer in a frame of Pot Black?

Let’s say in, oooh, 1984? :chin:

Gonna need another year…

Postby SnookerEd25

I’ll try 1986; significant because it was the last year of the original run of the series, until a brief revival in the nineties… :chin:

Postby SnookerEd25

World final between two players who contested 3 finals each, and each had a record of 1-2, ultimately, in World finals.

Easy question, as I’m on holiday and can’t be checking in every five minutes to say ‘yay’ or ‘nay’. I’ll check in tonight to see who’s bagged this obvious one first.

Postby Juddernaut88

2003 World championship final between Mark Wiliams and Ken Doherty? that was at the time a 3rd world final for both players with Mark Williams winning 18-16 to clinch his 2nd world title.

Postby SnookerEd25

Incorrect answer : whilst Doherty’s record in finals is, indeed, 1-2 (one win, two losses); Williams’ is a far more impressive 3-1.

You’re looking for two players whose *ultimate* record (to date) is 1-2; for the year in question, it was one player’s last appearance at this stage, for the other it was his second from three and his only triumph. I’ve basically given it away there.

Postby Iranu

Final in which a veteran won his first ranking title in a decider after losing a dramatic penultimate frame.

Postby Juddernaut88

2016 Northern Ireland Open final between Mark King and Barry Hawkins?