Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Juddernaut88

Un Nooh vs Antony McGill 2016 world championship qualifier? Don't think he qualified for the crucible that year so safe bet saying qualifier.

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Un Nooh vs Antony McGill 2016 world championship qualifier? Don't think he qualified for the crucible that year so safe bet saying qualifier.

<ok>

Postby Juddernaut88

Ranking final between 2 big players, The slight slight favourite would win the final but his opponent did have the small consolation of making a maximum break in the final

Postby Andre147

Higgins v MJW, 03 LG Cup Final, Higgins making the 147

Postby Juddernaut88

Andre147 wrote:Higgins v MJW, 03 LG Cup Final, Higgins making the 147

That's the one :hatoff:
Over to you sir.

Postby Andre147

After having major personal problems with drinking, this player did not return the following year to defend this big title he'd won the previous year.

What tournament and what player was this?

Postby Juddernaut88

Can I confirm Alex Higgins is the player though? just a question of which tournament and year.

Postby Andre147

One of the Triple Crown events. This surely narrows it down, should be easy now.

Postby Prop

Pretty sure he didn’t compete in the 98 UK.

Postby Andre147

Correct Prop!

Ronnie won the 97 UK Champs, but withdrew from the 98 edition and didn't defend the title, citing anxiety and was at a time when he had major drinking problems, one of the main reasons he went to rehab in 2000.

Over to you Prop

Postby Prop

A tournament played in London, Nottingham, Liverpool and eventually Birmingham for the epic final.

The tournament high break was a 60.

The winner of the final would become a household name for years to come.

Name the tournament and the year :-)

Postby Juddernaut88

I'm guessing Joe Davis must be the player that is the household name and the world snooker championship is the tournament. It is just a question of the year and the opponent.

Postby Juddernaut88

I will guess the first world championship in 1927 with Joe Davis being the winner.
I'm just not sure about the opponent but that hasn't been asked for fortunately.

Postby Prop

Juddernaut88 wrote:I will guess the first world championship in 1927 with Joe Davis being the winner.
I'm just not sure about the opponent but that hasn't been asked for fortunately.

That’s the one.

Postby Prop

For the record, Joe’s opponent was Tom Dennis.

Postby Juddernaut88

Ranking final between 2 players of the same nationality.
The player that was strong favourite would win the final and defeat the future world champion.
It would prove to be the strong favourites last ranking title.

Postby Juddernaut88

chengdufan wrote:Hendry v Dott

Correct players but also need the tournament and year please.

Postby Andre147

2005 Malta Cup, Hendry v Dott, Hendry's last ranking event title.