Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Juddernaut88

Andre147 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Ranking event final. Player A is strong strong favourite for this, he had a bit of a poor start to the season. Player B was the huge underdog and this was his first ranking final, he had done so well to get to the final. Player B had a pretty big lead but just couldn't get over the line. Player A eventually won this in a deciding frame.

Robbo v Cao Yupeng, 2017 Scottish Open Final?

Yep correct :hatoff:

Postby Andre147

Didn't think I'd get it first try.

A certain player sets the record for most unanswered points in a match. What match was this?

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:Or MJW - Yan NI Open final?

Yan never had a big lead did he? Yupeng led 8-5 if I'm not mistaken.

Postby Juddernaut88

Was this Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Ricky Walden at the Masters? not sure about the year, possibly 2014?

Postby Andre147

Juddernaut88 wrote:Was this Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Ricky Walden at the Masters? not sure about the year, possibly 2014?

Yep, match and year are correct, a record 556 unanswered points.

Your turn

Postby Juddernaut88

Big final, both players hadn't won this title yet, Player A slight favourite, he had won a few titles in the past few years and looking like a major player.Player B started to really break through in the last few years, he won a big title earlier on in the year.
Player B started off well with a huge lead but player A eventually won the match and title.
Player A would have a successful career up to date, player B maybe would look back with some regrets as to what might have been.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Big final, both players hadn't won this title yet, Player A slight favourite, he had won a few titles in the past few years and looking like a major player.Player B started to really break through in the last few years, he won a big title earlier on in the year.
Player B started off well with a huge lead but player A eventually won the match and title.
Player A would have a successful career up to date, player B maybe would look back with some regrets as to what might have been.

Got to be the 2000 World Final : an all-Welsh affair in which Mark Williams took the role of Player A, and Matthew Stevens settled into his perennial role as player B

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Big final, both players hadn't won this title yet, Player A slight favourite, he had won a few titles in the past few years and looking like a major player.Player B started to really break through in the last few years, he won a big title earlier on in the year.

Got to be the 2000 World Final : an all-Welsh affair in which Mark Williams took the role of Player A, and Matthew Stevens settled into his perennial role as player B

Yes correct :hatoff:

Postby SnookerEd25

Falling apart veteran dumps young hotshot out of major tournament in qualifiers, stealing his potential venue match against the reigning World Champion

Postby Juddernaut88

Errrm Fergal O'Brien beating Gilbert in the final world championship qualifying round in 2017. He then met Mark Selby defending champion in 1st round.

Postby SnookerEd25

For all his faults, I wouldn’t describe Fergal as falling apart :chuckle:

So, no.

Postby SnookerEd25

Empire State Human wrote:Wilson v O'Sullivan 1992 UK Championship.

:chuckle: Of course.

Giving Cliff a winning H2H against the young pretender and firmly cementing his status as the true GOAT <ok>

18 months later, he was dead :sad:

Postby Empire State Human

I believe the University of Limerick should really tweak their algorithm to reflect that.

This might be a tricky one, as I don't think I've seen the incident ever mentioned on here:

**Pro rips the cloth at the Crucible in the 13th frame of a quarter-final and requires the cloth to be replaced. From 8-8 going into the final session, the favourite pulls away and finishes with back-to-back centuries.

Postby Juddernaut88

Ken Doherty vs Matthew Stevens 1998 quarter final of the World championship?

Postby Juddernaut88

Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Stephen Lee Quarter final 2002 world championship?

Postby Andre147

Wow I didn't know that. I don't know if the referee warned him, but nowadays he would definately receive one, because he threw the cue in the air and damaged the cloth.

Postby Juddernaut88

An epic black ball game in a deciding frame to decide this massive final.

Postby Andre147

Can't be the 1985 World Final lol...

1998 Masters Final, Hendry v MJW?

Postby Juddernaut88

Andre147 wrote:Can't be the 1985 World Final lol...

1998 Masters Final, Hendry v MJW?

Correct on the 1st one :) 1985 world final.

I always chose to never discuss the 1998 Masters final, that is my worst ever match :sad:

Postby Andre147

This tournament was only staged once, the Final contested between two good players, one of them becoming greater in the future.

Postby Juddernaut88

Liverpool Victoria Challenge in 1997 between Stephen Hendry and Ronnie O'Sullivan?

Postby Andre147

Nope, there were more editions of that event.

The one I'm refering to was only staged once.