Post a reply

Identify That Match!

Postby Iranu

Okay so I thought this could be a fun game.

Basically, you describe a match without naming the two players involved or the tournament it took place in. Others need to identify the match, i.e. the two players and the tournament. Clues can be given if the correct match isn’t identified after a while.

To start:

Ageing player is beaten by global snooker star in his prime, having gotten further in the tournament than anyone would have expected. The victory was comfortable but the ageing player displayed some of the form that got him to that point.

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Juddernaut88

What a great idea for a quiz this is Iranu :hatoff:

I think it could possibly be The Masters final this year between Yan Bingtao and John Higgins

Postby HappyCamper

Yan Bingtao nowhere near his prime yet! One to watch.

Might be Nugget in his crucible quarter final run in 2010.

Postby Iranu

Neither of those, although both good guesses.

This match took place between those two.

Postby Juddernaut88

Possibly the 2004 welsh open final between Ronnie and Steve Davis.
I think Steve would have been around 46 then and Ronnie was 28 and was in his prime.
Last edited by Juddernaut88 on 14 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:I think you're referring to the 2016 world semi-final between Ding Junhui and Alan McManus.

Pink Ball swoops in with a rare Quiz guess and takes it!

Angles had “rolled back the years” to get to the 2016 World semi final.

Ding won 17-11, fairly comprehensive but he made seven centuries (and two 90s) to do so, with McManus making three centuries of his own in a performance that fully justified his inclusion in the one table setup.

Postby Juddernaut88

Hendry vs Bingham 2012 world championship first round?
Hendry was the qualifier and it was a match that maybe some people thought 50/50 but Hendry hammered him.

Postby Prop

Pink Ball wrote:An interesting first-round Crucible match on paper, one that's hard to call. But the result is never in doubt for some, and that even goes for one of the men playing.

Stephen Lee vs Ryan Day 2009 World Champs first round. Day wins 10-4. Turns out the big lad was up to no good.

Postby Pink Ball

Prop wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:An interesting first-round Crucible match on paper, one that's hard to call. But the result is never in doubt for some, and that even goes for one of the men playing.

Stephen Lee vs Ryan Day 2009 World Champs first round. Day wins 10-4. Turns out the big lad was up to no good.

Correct

Postby Prop

Crowd favourite branded ‘disrespectful’ by opponent after playing unorthodox shots and winning the match.

Postby SnookerEd25

Prop wrote:Crowd favourite branded ‘disrespectful’ by opponent after playing unorthodox shots and winning the match.

Matt Selt loses to Rod Lawler in EPTC4, Sofia, 2012

Postby Prop

Juddernaut88 wrote:Ronnie vs Robidoux first round of world championship in 1996

Judders in like a bullet :clap:

And there was me thinking you’d all fall for the trap and go for Selby vs Ronnie 2020 rofl

Over to you...

Postby Juddernaut88

This player who probably had 70% of the crowd on his side had this to say about his defeat to this player in a semi final match at the Masters "It was scrappy at the start and I got dragged down. He was boring and I lost interest for a bit"
Last edited by Juddernaut88 on 15 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:This player who probably had 70% of the crowd on his side had this to say about his defeat to this player in a quarter final match at the Masters "It was scrappy at the start and I got dragged down. He was boring and I lost interest for a bit"

Ronnie Selby Masters final 2009?

Postby Juddernaut88

Judd Trump is the player that made the comments but Graeme Dott wasn't the opponent. 2013 is also very very close.

Postby Iranu

Judd-McLeod World Champs first round?

Postby Juddernaut88

Nope not Rory, this match was a semi final match at the Masters (edited this due to my initial error)
Last edited by Juddernaut88 on 15 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Quarter-Final match at the Masters?

Surely it's 2013 Dott v Trump? Trump losing 6-1

Postby Juddernaut88

Opps sorry if was a semi final match at the Masters my bad. For some reason I always thought it was quarter finals but I doubled checked and it was a semi final.

Postby Andre147

Trump v Kyren, 2018?

I know they had some needle back then.