Post a reply

Re: The Greatest Hits Quiz!

Postby James Bentley

Reg Varney wrote:Number 8 sounds like one of those songs that one of the home nations World Cup squads used to do back in the day. I'll go the 1978 Scotland World Cup squad.

This one's bugging me. I'm pretty sure it is a Scotland song but not one of the squad songs, and more recent than 1978 but I can't think who it is.

Postby HappyCamper

James Bentley wrote:3. The Farm
6. The Fall

Juddernaut88 wrote:2. Dario G
3. The Farm
4. K'naan
7. Shakira

all correct, and the low hanging fruit is picked.

Reg Varney wrote:1. The Proclaimers

Number 8 sounds like one of those songs that one of the home nations World Cup squads used to do back in the day. I'll go the 1978 Scotland World Cup squad.

the proclaimers is correct.

no the 1978 scotland world cup squad. the 78 scotland anthem was the slightly more optimistic ally's tartan army
'We're on the march wi' Ally's Army
We're going tae the Argentine
And we'll really shake them up
When we win the World Cup
Cause Scotland is the greatest football team!'

(they did not win the world cup)

Postby HappyCamper

01) the joyful kilmarnock blues - the proclaimers - reg
02) carinval de paris - dario g - judders
03) all together now - the farm - james
04) wavin' flag - k'naan - judders
05) 1967, i miss you, i'm lonely
06) kicker conspiracy - the fall - james
07) waka waka (this time for africa) - shakira - judders
08) don't come home to soon
09) la cour des grands
10) england 2 columbia 0
Last edited by HappyCamper on 22 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby HappyCamper

James Bentley wrote:
Reg Varney wrote:Number 8 sounds like one of those songs that one of the home nations World Cup squads used to do back in the day. I'll go the 1978 Scotland World Cup squad.

This one's bugging me. I'm pretty sure it is a Scotland song but not one of the squad songs, and more recent than 1978 but I can't think who it is.

aye. it was the official 'anthem' but was a proper song by a proper artist.

Postby HappyCamper

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:8 is Del Amitri for the 1998 World Cup.

It was. Defeats to Brazil and Morocco meant Scotland, alas, did come home too soon.

Postby HappyCamper

05) 1967, i miss you, i'm lonely
08) don't come home to soon - del amitri - krazeeeyezkilla
09) la cour des grands
10) england 2 columbia 0 - kirsty maccoll - stevejj

still wide open
Last edited by HappyCamper on 22 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby HappyCamper

Juddernaut88 wrote:I think I have heard number 9 but can't remember who the artist is.

well it was played to a television audience of over 1 billion at the france 98 opening ceremony. so it would not be a surprise.

Postby HappyCamper

Raphael98 wrote:Man, I will say no. 9 is Ricky Martin, but it is a crazy guess.

not crazy at all. ricky martin did do a song for france 98, but it was the spanish language la copa de la vida. and he performed it at the final to similarly gargantuan viewing figures.

as for a clue to 5:
the song references a trip to lisbon to watch newcastle play benfica in europe. the band's name is appropriately enough, given the theme of the list, one letter away from being that of a highly successful brazilian footballer.

Postby HappyCamper

Reg Varney wrote:5. Pepe ?

No. There was an Italian band called P.E.P.E, who have a song that become popular among the far right in the USA for some reason. But it's not them.

Postby HappyCamper

No, neither. The player has 159 international caps and she was the first player to score at five different world cups. The band are a punk outfit from the northeast of England.

9 is a duet by artists from two francophone countries. One that did not qualify for the 98 WC but did four years later; and one that has twice reached the semi finals. Either artist is acceptable.

Postby James Bentley

HappyCamper wrote:No, neither. The player has 159 international caps and she was the first player to score at five different world cups. The band are a punk outfit from the northeast of England.

I can't remember anything about them but I think there was a band called Martha (which would be Marta + h so kind of works with the earlier clue).

Postby HappyCamper

James Bentley wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:No, neither. The player has 159 international caps and she was the first player to score at five different world cups. The band are a punk outfit from the northeast of England.

I can't remember anything about them but I think there was a band called Martha (which would be Marta + h so kind of works with the earlier clue).

Well now you ken the name of one of their songs!

Postby HappyCamper

chengdufan wrote:9 Youssuf N'Dour?

Close enough. Youssou N'Dour et Axelle Red. From Senegal and Belgium respectively.

Postby HappyCamper

05) 1967, i miss you, i'm lonely - martha - james
08) don't come home to soon - del amitri - krazeeeyezkilla
09) la cour des grands - youssou n'dour & axelle red - chendyfan *
10) england 2 columbia 0 - kirsty maccoll - stevejj

so now we need a tie breaker.

Postby HappyCamper

tie break question:
three lions, written by the lightning seeds and comedians frank skinner and david baddiel is probably the most commercially successful football song. but between its og version, france 98 re-work, and apparently extant 2010 version (featuring russell brand(!) no less), how many aggregate weeks has been it been in the official uk top 40*?

answers on a postcard.

*as of the most recent published chart at time of setting,

Postby HappyCamper

Juddernaut88 wrote:Do you want us to pm you or just answer on here?

i have already received the other answer, so whatevs. disnae matter.

Postby HappyCamper

James Bentley wrote:I've tried to work this out with SCIENCE but it'll probably end up being little more than guesswork.

Okay, the first two runs were pretty successful and I'll guess that they were in the charts for say 12 weeks each. The track has re-entered the charts in a few World Cups and Euros since then, but usually just as a bit of a flash in the pan thing. So let's say it has had another six short runs, for an average of 4 weeks each. Then I'll add on another 4 weeks in case I've forgotten it being more successful in one of its return appearances. So that's 24 + 24 + 4 = 52 weeks, which is a nice round number and is therefore my answer!

three lions has a total of 27 weeks, across seven runs inside the top 40. including one this very week.
three lions 98 managed nine weeks in a single run.
three lions 2010 scored four weeks in a single run.
giving a grand total of 40 weeks.

(65 - 40) = 25 > 12 = (52 - 40)

so now you know.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Three Lions returned to No.1 in 2018 but by the time it got there it was two days after England were out of the World Cup. Sales plummeted after that and it dropped down the chart the week after to No.97 which had previous happened to