Post a reply

Can you spot it?

Postby LDS

This may be a one-off quiz or it may have the possibility to go on for a bit. So no rules about winner doing the next one, just whenever someone thinks they have something that might work in a similar way.

The rules are simple:

Have 1 guess at saying what living creature you think you can see in the following picture:

After 24 hours I'll post the second picture, which will be a picture taken closer-up to the living creature, at which point everyone can have another guess or stick with their original punt.

If someone is convinced the have it, they will have to specify exactly where it is in the picture, by whatever communication means they are able to do this by, either specific description or some kind of upload of the picture with a red circle round it or whatever.

The final picture will be on the fourth day and the person with the most correct observations by the final day will win.

If everyone agrees that they've spotted it before the 4th photo the competition can and likely will end at that point also with the same method of deciding the winner.

So get those telescopic glasses out & let's hear those first stabs!

Re: Can you spot it?

Postby Prop

Oooh, I like :-)

Although staring at those grassy tufts is giving me shroom hunting flashbacks <laugh>

Postby rekoons

I see a cheetah!

do I need to say where as well?

Postby LDS

rekoons wrote:do I need to say where as well?

Only if you are totally convinced and think by doing so you will end the quiz by highlighting it to everyone else. The tactical choice is yours.

Postby Prop

I can see a couple of interesting bits, but I’m not confident what they are or if they’re even living creatures.

I’m sitting on it for a bit.

Postby rekoons

LDS wrote:
rekoons wrote:do I need to say where as well?

Only if you are totally convinced and think by doing so you will end the quiz by highlighting it to everyone else. The tactical choice is yours.

at the risk of making a complete fool of myself if i'm wrong here goes: I see a cheetah exactly at 9 o clock, sitting in the green grass, just left of the wider/bigger leafs. he/she is looking to the right and you can see it's head in profile. the colour of it's fur is exactly the colour of the dry grass...

Postby rekoons

Oh wait, LOL, I just realized the low resolution on my shitty pc screen at work is very shitty indeed <laugh>

Having just looked at the photo on my phone screen and zoomed in, there is no cheetah at all <doh>

just ignore me.

Postby James Bentley

Disturbingly, I think I can see a fish near the upper right-hand corner. But why would a fish be there? And how did it get there? It wouldn't be able to breathe! Perhaps I'm imagining things.

Postby Prop

I can see what could be a frog, or a leaf. And in another area what could be a mouse.

Postby Prop

And there’s something almost in the centre, just to the right, but it looks man-made.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:And there’s something almost in the centre, just to the right, but it looks man-made.

That’s what I’m thinking might be a tortoise. Looks a bit shellish.

Postby chengdufan

I've found the animal but am not 100% sure what it is. You can only see its head and it's very small. Could be a mouse, a snake...
I'll go with snake.

Bottom right, near the right hand edge of the picture, about quarter of the way up, in the green, just below where it changes to yellow/brown.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:And there’s something almost in the centre, just to the right, but it looks man-made.

That’s what I’m thinking might be a tortoise. Looks a bit shellish.

Yeah that’s the one. The ‘frog’ is down and left a bit from there.

Postby chengdufan

You can see its black beady eye quite clearly

Postby Iranu

chengdufan wrote:I've found the animal but am not 100% sure what it is. You can only see its head and it's very small. Could be a mouse, a snake...
I'll go with snake.

Bottom right, near the right hand edge of the picture, about quarter of the way up, in the green, just below where it changes to yellow/brown.

So I followed these instructions and can’t see anything small that could be a mouse or a snake. I’ve gone slightly further up though (around 33% as opposed to 25%) and can see what clearly looks like a snake. But it’s bigger than your description and definitely not a mouse. And I can’t discern an eye. So I think I might be fabricating it!

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
chengdufan wrote:I've found the animal but am not 100% sure what it is. You can only see its head and it's very small. Could be a mouse, a snake...
I'll go with snake.

So I followed these instructions and can’t see anything small that could be a mouse or a snake. I’ve gone slightly further up though (around 33% as opposed to 25%) and can see what clearly looks like a snake. But it’s bigger than your description and definitely not a mouse. And I can’t discern an eye. So I think I might be fabricating it!

I’m seeing a few things in that area but they’re probably just pareidolia.

Maybe that’s the trick? There’s nothing there and it’s just an object in discovering how many things the brain ‘sees’ :chin:

Postby chengdufan

If anything, it's lower down than 25%.

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:If anything, it's lower down than 25%.

We need annotation!

Postby chengdufan

Don't zoom in yet. Go to the bottom right, where the green clearly changes colour. You can see one long piece of white grass almost horizontal but sloping down slightly to the right.
Now zoom in really close.
Find the right hand end of that white piece of grass. Look just below there. You'll see the animal's head looking towards the bottom middle of the picture. Its left eye is clear to see, along with its nose and black and brown head.

Postby chengdufan

I say it's looking towards the bottom middle, now I zoom out again and see it's probably more accurate to say it's looking towards the bottom right of the picture overall, but a little left of where it is situated.

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:Don't zoom in yet. Go to the bottom right, where the green clearly changes colour. You can see one long piece of white grass almost horizontal but sloping down slightly to the right.
Now zoom in really close.
Find the right hand end of that white piece of grass. Look just below there. You'll see the animal's head looking towards the bottom middle of the picture. Its left eye is clear to see, along with its nose and black and brown head.

Just to the left of the clump grass on the edge of the picture that’s more green than the other grass?

Looks like a newt.

Postby LDS

Prop wrote:I’m seeing a few things in that area but they’re probably just pareidolia.

Maybe that’s the trick? There’s nothing there and it’s just an object in discovering how many things the brain ‘sees’ :chin:

It's there all right. The first pic is indeed extremely hard, but it's there if you know what to look for!

Postby Prop

LDS wrote:
Prop wrote:I’m seeing a few things in that area but they’re probably just pareidolia.

It's there all right. The first pic is indeed extremely hard, but it's there if you know what to look for!

Fair enough. I’ll tune in for the update :-)

Postby Prop

I’m staying with my first guess and saying frog.

Postby LDS

So far we've had:

Cheetah
Wallaby/Human in a red and white hat
Fish
Tortoise
Snake
Frog
Field Mouse

And no duplicates.

Second picture on the way in a moment, I'll get the posts to 30 first to start the new pic on a new page, otherwise it'll be annoyingly the last post on a previous page.