Post a reply

Re: Answer Smash!

Postby Prop

David Ickensian.

I’m not sure it really works like you’ve done it though. The D of Dickensian isn’t part of the relevant word (Icke). You wouldn’t say/write “D Ickensian”.

Postby AlfGit

That is correct.

I don't know why Icke is the 'relevant word'. The relevant answer is David Icke, which ends with the necessary letters in the correct order to start the second answer. You wouldn't say/write "Arenaissance" either.

Never mind. I give up.

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:That is correct.

I don't know why Icke is the 'relevant word'. The relevant answer is David Icke, which ends with the necessary letters in the correct order to start the second answer. You wouldn't say/write "Arenaissance" either.

Never mind. I give up.

No need to give up. Stick around :-)

Naturally gifted potter, coached by a controversial former World Champion

Multicoloured confectionery

Postby Iranu

Never mind. I give up.

It’s because the series is called Dickensian, so he’d need to be David Dicke for it to work.

In your other example the full word “renaissance” is included in the mashup.

Postby Iranu

Jack Lisowskittles

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:

Never mind. I give up.

It’s because the series is called Dickensian, so he’d need to be David Dicke for it to work.

i don't see why david ickensian doesn't work. the smash is continuous, so why would one need an extra d.

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Never mind. I give up.

i don't see why david ickensian doesn't work. the smash is continuous, so why would one need an extra d.

That’s a good point :chin:

Postby HappyCamper

it's also fun to say out loud, which is the true joy of a good smash imo.

Postby Prop

Ok. I don’t want Alfgit (or anyone) throwing the towel in. Allowing the ‘smash’ to span more than two words does add a further level of complexity which isn’t seen in the House of Games format that inspired this.

I’m trying to stay as true to that format as possible.

However, if it means Alfgit continues to contribute, by all means span as many words as you like.

Iranu is correct <ok>

Postby AlfGit

I don't want to make things difficult. People are having fun with this quiz, and that's what matters. But I am not getting any enjoyment from seemingly constant criticisms of my clues for being too obscure, too cryptic, too short, and 'improperly' spanning a word-space.

As I said in an earlier comment, Richard Osman's clues are designed to be answered within a few seconds. The contestants are also under some pressure, and undoubtedly the producers want the questions to be simple enough that people can play along at home too. If this quiz is limited to clues of a similar difficulty, they become absolutely trivial when at least one half is related to a subject that we all know extremely well compared to the general population, and we have as long as we want to relax and think about them, or use Google. So far, I have probably put at least ten times more effort into trying to think of suitable clues (and apparently failing) than solving other people's. Perhaps some people enjoy that mix more, but not me.

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:I don't want to make things difficult. People are having fun with this quiz, and that's what matters. But I am not getting any enjoyment from seemingly constant criticisms of my clues for being too obscure, too cryptic, too short, and 'improperly' spanning a word-space.

As I said in an earlier comment, Richard Osman's clues are designed to be answered within a few seconds. The contestants are also under some pressure, and undoubtedly the producers want the questions to be simple enough that people can play along at home too. If this quiz is limited to clues of a similar difficulty, they become absolutely trivial when at least one half is related to a subject that we all know extremely well compared to the general population, and we have as long as we want to relax and think about them, or use Google. So far, I have probably put at least ten times more effort into trying to think of suitable clues (and apparently failing) than solving other people's. Perhaps some people enjoy that mix more, but not me.

If you’re going to stop playing the quiz on the basis that the quiz isn’t what you want it to be, that’s fine <ok>

I’d really like to get things back on track.

Over to Iranu.

Postby Iranu

Former snooker professional who is a great shot

Asian language

Postby Prop

The Whirlwindonesian? :chin:

Postby Prop

Michael Holt - The Hitmandarin?

Postby Iranu

Prop takes it

Postby Prop

English former professional

Large dog of German origin

Postby Prop

Bump. Woof.

Postby AlfGit

John Parrottweiler.

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:John Parrottweiler.

Correct! :hatoff:

Postby AlfGit

A snooker player that has nothing to do with gay dating.
A time to eat haggis.

Postby Iranu

Cliff Thorburns Night

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:Cliff Thorburns Night

Well, that didn't last long! Absolutely correct, of course. :clap:

Postby Iranu

Asian tournament, currently not on the calendar since the outbreak of COVID

Magic duo

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Asian tournament, currently not on the calendar since the outbreak of COVID

Magic duo

China Openn And Teller?

Postby Iranu

SF takes it!

Postby SnookerFan

Former World Champion, known for his slow play.

A novel by Miguel de Cervantes.