Post a reply

THE PADSTERS SNOOKER QUIZ

Postby PLtheRef

I've not done one for ages so I think its time for a new quiz.

1. Who is the reigning world champion?
2. Who did he beat in the final?
3. And by what score?
4. Which year was the last World final to have two players who hadnt been in the final before?
5. What is so different between Mark Williams and all of the other World Champions?
6. True or false the best of nine frame Final for the 2010 World Open is the shortest length in frames for a World ranking final?
7. When did the World Championship seed 16 players for the first time?
8. What was the first event outside the WC to have ranking points?
9. Who once said after going out at the Crucible 'I played s*** in my first match, s*** in my second match and besides four frames last night I played s*** in this match?
10. Janie Watkins, David Hendon and Clive Everton are all famous what?
11. Which Welshman came from winning £275 in prize money the season before to reach the quarter-finals of a world championship the year after. He fell in the first round the year after?
12. Who was the first Scottish player to play at the Crucible?
13. Who was the first Scottish player to win at the Crucible?
14. Who won the Masters without making a 50 break?
15. Who was banned for 5 years after being found guilty of match-fixing a game at the Crucible?
16. Who was the opponent in the match in question?
17. What do the 1986, 2001 and 2004 UK Finals have in common?
18. In which event might you win £72,000 in reaching the Semi-Finals?
19. Who's Crucible record from 1996 to 2000 was the following - 1996: Quarter-Finals. 1997 Second Round - 1998 Second Round - 1999 First Round - 2000 Second Round?
20. True or false Stephen Hendry at 32 was the oldest player at the 2001 Embassy World Finals?
21. Who on the Snooker circuit has the nickname James Bond?
22. Which professional's real name is Christopher. He having changed his name to make it sound more professional?
23. Has any player won their Quarter-Final, Semi-Final and Final in the same year at the Crucible by a session to spare?
24. Who once said 'I'm the World No.8 and No-one's ever heard of me?'
25. Who once described a tournament as a Mickey Mouse tournament only to make a personal apology to Mickey Mouse for any offence caused?

See whether anyone can get 25?

Re: THE PADSTERS SNOOKER QUIZ

Postby randam05

1. Who is the reigning world champion? Neil Robertson
2. Who did he beat in the final? Graeme Dott
3. And by what score? 18-14
4. Which year was the last World final to have two players who hadnt been in the final before? 1998?
5. What is so different between Mark Williams and all of the other World Champions? Only left hander.
6. True or false the best of nine frame Final for the 2010 World Open is the shortest length in frames for a World ranking final? False
7. When did the World Championship seed 16 players for the first time? 1977
8. What was the first event outside the WC to have ranking points? Thailand masters (dont have a clue)
9. Who once said after going out at the Crucible 'I played s*** in my first match, s*** in my second match and besides four frames last night I played s*** in this match? Ronnie I guess
10. Janie Watkins, David Hendon and Clive Everton are all famous what? Snooker media workers.
11. Which Welshman came from winning £275 in prize money the season before to reach the quarter-finals of a world championship the year after. He fell in the first round the year after?
12. Who was the first Scottish player to play at the Crucible?
13. Who was the first Scottish player to win at the Crucible? Hendry
14. Who won the Masters without making a 50 break? Perrie mans?
15. Who was banned for 5 years after being found guilty of match-fixing a game at the Crucible? Peter fransisco
16. Who was the opponent in the match in question? Jimmy white
17. What do the 1986, 2001 and 2004 UK Finals have in common? Deciding frames
18. In which event might you win £72,000 in reaching the Semi-Finals? World championships.
19. Who's Crucible record from 1996 to 2000 was the following - 1996: Quarter-Finals. 1997 Second Round - 1998 Second Round - 1999 First Round - 2000 Second Round?
20. True or false Stephen Hendry at 32 was the oldest player at the 2001 Embassy World Finals? True
21. Who on the Snooker circuit has the nickname James Bond? Nigel bond..
22. Which professional's real name is Christopher. He having changed his name to make it sound more professional? Dont have a clue..chris small?
23. Has any player won their Quarter-Final, Semi-Final and Final in the same year at the Crucible by a session to spare? Yes, Davis?
24. Who once said 'I'm the World No.8 and No-one's ever heard of me?'
25. Who once described a tournament as a Mickey Mouse tournament only to make a personal apology to Mickey Mouse for any offence caused? Ronnie

Postby Bourne

PLtheRef wrote:I've not done one for ages so I think its time for a new quiz.

1. Who is the reigning world champion? Robbo
2. Who did he beat in the final? Dott
3. And by what score? 18-13
4. Which year was the last World final to have two players who hadnt been in the final before? 1989
5. What is so different between Mark Williams and all of the other World Champions? 12 chins
6. True or false the best of nine frame Final for the 2010 World Open is the shortest length in frames for a World ranking final? False
7. When did the World Championship seed 16 players for the first time? 2000
8. What was the first event outside the WC to have ranking points? UK Champs
9. Who once said after going out at the Crucible 'I played s*** in my first match, s*** in my second match and besides four frames last night I played s*** in this match? Hendry
10. Janie Watkins, David Hendon and Clive Everton are all famous what? Snooker bloggers
11. Which Welshman came from winning £275 in prize money the season before to reach the quarter-finals of a world championship the year after. He fell in the first round the year after? Rearson
12. Who was the first Scottish player to play at the Crucible? McVities
14. Who won the Masters without making a 50 break? McManus
15. Who was banned for 5 years after being found guilty of match-fixing a game at the Crucible? Francisco
16. Who was the opponent in the match in question? Robidoux
17. What do the 1986, 2001 and 2004 UK Finals have in common? Davis lost
18. In which event might you win £72,000 in reaching the Semi-Finals? Premier League
19. Who's Crucible record from 1996 to 2000 was the following - 1996: Quarter-Finals. 1997 Second Round - 1998 Second Round - 1999 First Round - 2000 Second Round? Bond
20. True or false Stephen Hendry at 32 was the oldest player at the 2001 Embassy World Finals? True
21. Who on the Snooker circuit has the nickname James Bond? Bond
22. Which professional's real name is Christopher. He having changed his name to make it sound more professional? Ebdon
23. Has any player won their Quarter-Final, Semi-Final and Final in the same year at the Crucible by a session to spare? Yes
24. Who once said 'I'm the World No.8 and No-one's ever heard of me?' Carter
25. Who once described a tournament as a Mickey Mouse tournament only to make a personal apology to Mickey Mouse for any offence caused? A Higgins

Postby randam05

PLtheRef wrote:Nope Williams appeared in the 1999 final.

So was I correct in saying 1998? Or was doherty in that final against higgins meaning itd be wrong cause doherty won the year before

Postby Alex0paul

1. Neil Robertson
2. Graeme Dott
3. 18-13
4. 1981
5. Left handed (but Robertson is too)
6. True
7. 1982
8. International Open
9. Stephen Hendry
10. Journalists
11. Lee Walker
12. Ian Black
13. Murdo Mcleod
14. Perrie Mans
15. Peter Fransisco
16. Jimmy White
17. All won by a 9 frame margin
18. Premier League
19. Steve Davis
20. False
21. No Idea
22. No Idea
23. No
24. Dean Reynolds
25. Mark J Williams

Postby Roland

2. Who did he beat in the final? Dotty
4. Which year was the last World final to have two players who hadnt been in the final before? 1981
5. What is so different between Mark Williams and all of the other World Champions? left hander (but so is Robbo). Welsh leftie?
7. When did the World Championship seed 16 players for the first time? 1983
8. What was the first event outside the WC to have ranking points? UK
9. Who once said after going out at the Crucible 'I played s*** in my first match, s*** in my second match and besides four frames last night I played s*** in this match? Hendry
10. Janie Watkins, David Hendon and Clive Everton are all famous what? Snooker journos
11. Which Welshman came from winning £275 in prize money the season before to reach the quarter-finals of a world championship the year after. He fell in the first round the year after? Cliff Wilson
12. Who was the first Scottish player to play at the Crucible? Eddie Sinclair
14. Who won the Masters without making a 50 break? Perrie Mans
15. Who was banned for 5 years after being found guilty of match-fixing a game at the Crucible? Peter Francisco
16. Who was the opponent in the match in question? Jimmy White
17. What do the 1986, 2001 and 2004 UK Finals have in common? They were all not very memorable
18. In which event might you win £72,000 in reaching the Semi-Finals? Premier League
19. Who's Crucible record from 1996 to 2000 was the following - 1996: Quarter-Finals. 1997 Second Round - 1998 Second Round - 1999 First Round - 2000 Second Round? Steve Davis
20. True or false Stephen Hendry at 32 was the oldest player at the 2001 Embassy World Finals? False
21. Who on the Snooker circuit has the nickname James Bond? Nigel Bond
22. Which professional's real name is Christopher. He having changed his name to make it sound more professional? Liang Wenbo
23. Has any player won their Quarter-Final, Semi-Final and Final in the same year at the Crucible by a session to spare? Hendry 93?
24. Who once said 'I'm the World No.8 and No-one's ever heard of me?' Graeme Dott
25. Who once described a tournament as a Mickey Mouse tournament only to make a personal apology to Mickey Mouse for any offence caused? Hendry

Postby PLtheRef

Bourne wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:I've not done one for ages so I think its time for a new quiz.

2. Who did he beat in the final? Dott
4. Which year was the last World final to have two players who hadnt been in the final before? 1989
5. What is so different between Mark Williams and all of the other World Champions? 12 chins
7. When did the World Championship seed 16 players for the first time? 2000
8. What was the first event outside the WC to have ranking points? UK Champs
10. Janie Watkins, David Hendon and Clive Everton are all famous what? Snooker bloggers
11. Which Welshman came from winning £275 in prize money the season before to reach the quarter-finals of a world championship the year after. He fell in the first round the year after? Rearson
12. Who was the first Scottish player to play at the Crucible? McVities
14. Who won the Masters without making a 50 break? McManus
15. Who was banned for 5 years after being found guilty of match-fixing a game at the Crucible? Francisco
16. Who was the opponent in the match in question? Robidoux
17. What do the 1986, 2001 and 2004 UK Finals have in common? Davis lost
19. Who's Crucible record from 1996 to 2000 was the following - 1996: Quarter-Finals. 1997 Second Round - 1998 Second Round - 1999 First Round - 2000 Second Round? Bond
21. Who on the Snooker circuit has the nickname James Bond? Bond
22. Which professional's real name is Christopher. He having changed his name to make it sound more professional? Ebdon
23. Has any player won their Quarter-Final, Semi-Final and Final in the same year at the Crucible by a session to spare? Yes
24. Who once said 'I'm the World No.8 and No-one's ever heard of me?' Carter
25. Who once described a tournament as a Mickey Mouse tournament only to make a personal apology to Mickey Mouse for any offence caused? A Higgins

9 Points

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:1. Who is the reigning world champion? Robbo
2. Who did he beat in the final? Dotty
4. Which year was the last World final to have two players who hadnt been in the final before? 1981
5. What is so different between Mark Williams and all of the other World Champions? left hander (but so is Robbo). Welsh leftie?
7. When did the World Championship seed 16 players for the first time? 1983
8. What was the first event outside the WC to have ranking points? UK
10. Janie Watkins, David Hendon and Clive Everton are all famous what? Snooker journos
11. Which Welshman came from winning £275 in prize money the season before to reach the quarter-finals of a world championship the year after. He fell in the first round the year after? Cliff Wilson
12. Who was the first Scottish player to play at the Crucible? Eddie Sinclair
15. Who was banned for 5 years after being found guilty of match-fixing a game at the Crucible? Peter Francisco
17. What do the 1986, 2001 and 2004 UK Finals have in common? They were all not very memorable
19. Who's Crucible record from 1996 to 2000 was the following - 1996: Quarter-Finals. 1997 Second Round - 1998 Second Round - 1999 First Round - 2000 Second Round? Steve Davis
20. True or false Stephen Hendry at 32 was the oldest player at the 2001 Embassy World Finals? False
21. Who on the Snooker circuit has the nickname James Bond? Nigel Bond
22. Which professional's real name is Christopher. He having changed his name to make it sound more professional? Liang Wenbo
23. Has any player won their Quarter-Final, Semi-Final and Final in the same year at the Crucible by a session to spare? Hendry 93?
24. Who once said 'I'm the World No.8 and No-one's ever heard of me?' Graeme Dott
25. Who once described a tournament as a Mickey Mouse tournament only to make a personal apology to Mickey Mouse for any offence caused? Hendry

13 Points

Postby PLtheRef

Alex0paul WC wrote:1. Neil Robertson
2. Graeme Dott
3. 18-13
4. 1981
5. Left handed (but Robertson is too)
6. True
7. 1982
8. International Open
9. Stephen Hendry
10. Journalists
11. Lee Walker
12. Ian Black
13. Murdo Mcleod
14. Perrie Mans
15. Peter Fransisco
16. Jimmy White
17. All won by a 9 frame margin
18. Premier League
19. Steve Davis
20. False
21. No Idea
22. No Idea
23. No
24. Dean Reynolds
25. Mark J Williams

16 Points

Just so you know. The answer to the James Bond question isnt Nigel. Now thats gonna have you thinking

Postby Roland

This is the way to do a quiz - tell points without saying answers. I thought I'd got more than Alex to be honest looking back. Like that was ever going to happen!

Postby randam05

Sonny wrote:This is the way to do a quiz - tell points without saying answers. I thought I'd got more than Alex to be honest looking back. Like that was ever going to happen!

Haha tough luck..now yes i am having trouble thinking whos nickname would be james bond..

Postby PLtheRef

And it means you can do it again altering some answers you've given, to see whether you raise, or lower your score.

Postby PLtheRef

C'mon lads, anyone get 25?

Also I'm planning a proper competition for this kind of thing.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

PLtheRef wrote:C'mon lads, anyone get 25?

Great idea just need to keep our friends on here's answers hidden.
I'll have a look now tho as I've already seen other people's answers, not sure I'll be able to fill any missing blanks. I'll be back. :)

Postby Eirebilly

Get that going, i love doing your quiz's

Postby randam05

eirebilly wrote:

Get that going, i love doing your quiz's

<ok> <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:

Great idea just need to keep our friends on here's answers hidden.
I'll have a look now tho as I've already seen other people's answers, not sure I'll be able to fill any missing blanks. I'll be back. :)

Well I was going to ask folk to PM msgs to me, and then after the deadline I post everyone's answers up.

Anyway, looking to find 15-20 contenders for the next quiz. more than that would be great but the limit is at 32.

Postby Alex0paul

When will you post the answers to these questions?

Postby PLtheRef

1. Who is the reigning world champion? Neil Robertson
4. Which year was the last World final to have two players who hadnt been in the final before? 1981 - Davis against Mountjoy
5. What is so different between Mark Williams and all of the other World Champions? Williams was appearing in his second ever final, immediately after losing the previous years final to Hendry in 1999.
6. True or false the best of nine frame Final for the 2010 World Open is the shortest length in frames for a World ranking final? False - the Best of 7 frames in the PTCs are officially Ranking events
7. When did the World Championship seed 16 players for the first time? 1980 championship. 8 players qualified directly for the second round, 9-16 played in the first round.
8. What was the first event outside the WC to have ranking points? 1982 Professional Players Tournament
9. Who once said after going out at the Crucible 'I played s*** in my first match, s*** in my second match and besides four frames last night I played s*** in this match? Stephen Hendry in 2005
10. Janie Watkins, David Hendon and Clive Everton are all famous what? Journalists
11. Which Welshman came from winning £275 in prize money the season before to reach the quarter-finals of a world championship the year after. He fell in the first round the year after? Lee Walker, reached the quarters in 1997 and lost 10-8 to Doherty in 1998.
12. Who was the first Scottish player to play at the Crucible? Jim Donnelly
13. Who was the first Scottish player to win at the Crucible? Murdo McLeod 10-5 against Rex Williams - Stephen Hendry beat Thorne 10-6 the following day.
15. Who was banned for 5 years after being found guilty of match-fixing a game at the Crucible? Peter Francisco who lost 10-2 against White
17. What do the 1986, 2001 and 2004 UK Finals have in common? all were won by nine frames. Davis beat Foulds 16-7, O'Sullivan beat Doherty 10-1 and Maguire beat David Gray 10-1
18. In which event might you win £72,000 in reaching the Semi-Finals? the Premier League. £1,000 per frame won - win each match 6-0 (6 games so 36 frames) plus £1,000 per century break.
20. True or false Stephen Hendry at 32 was the oldest player at the 2001 Embassy World Finals? Nope, John Parrott was born in 1964
21. Who on the Snooker circuit has the nickname James Bond? a Cruel one here given you all said Nigel, - its actually Jan Verhaas
22. Which professional's real name is Christopher. He having changed his name to make it sound more professional? Dominic Dale
23. Has any player won their Quarter-Final, Semi-Final and Final in the same year at the Crucible by a session to spare? Nope, players have come close Ronnie winning the QF 13-3 and SF 17-4 and the Final 18-8
24. Who once said 'I'm the World No.8 and No-one's ever heard of me?' Darren Morgan
25. Who once described a tournament as a Mickey Mouse tournament only to make a personal apology to Mickey Mouse for any offence caused? Alex Higgins - who else.

Postby PLtheRef

Soon, its going to be a competition. I.e. players go head to head.

Postby randam05

PLtheRef wrote:Soon, its going to be a competition. I.e. players go head to head.

brilliant <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

PLtheRef wrote:1. Who is the reigning world champion? Neil Robertson
4. Which year was the last World final to have two players who hadnt been in the final before? 1981 - Davis against Mountjoy
5. What is so different between Mark Williams and all of the other World Champions? Williams was appearing in his second ever final, immediately after losing the previous years final to Hendry in 1999.
6. True or false the best of nine frame Final for the 2010 World Open is the shortest length in frames for a World ranking final? False - the Best of 7 frames in the PTCs are officially Ranking events
7. When did the World Championship seed 16 players for the first time? 1980 championship. 8 players qualified directly for the second round, 9-16 played in the first round.
8. What was the first event outside the WC to have ranking points? 1982 Professional Players Tournament
9. Who once said after going out at the Crucible 'I played s*** in my first match, s*** in my second match and besides four frames last night I played s*** in this match? Stephen Hendry in 2005
10. Janie Watkins, David Hendon and Clive Everton are all famous what? Journalists
11. Which Welshman came from winning £275 in prize money the season before to reach the quarter-finals of a world championship the year after. He fell in the first round the year after? Lee Walker, reached the quarters in 1997 and lost 10-8 to Doherty in 1998.
12. Who was the first Scottish player to play at the Crucible? Jim Donnelly
13. Who was the first Scottish player to win at the Crucible? Murdo McLeod 10-5 against Rex Williams - Stephen Hendry beat Thorne 10-6 the following day.
15. Who was banned for 5 years after being found guilty of match-fixing a game at the Crucible? Peter Francisco who lost 10-2 against White
17. What do the 1986, 2001 and 2004 UK Finals have in common? all were won by nine frames. Davis beat Foulds 16-7, O'Sullivan beat Doherty 10-1 and Maguire beat David Gray 10-1
18. In which event might you win £72,000 in reaching the Semi-Finals? the Premier League. £1,000 per frame won - win each match 6-0 (6 games so 36 frames) plus £1,000 per century break.
20. True or false Stephen Hendry at 32 was the oldest player at the 2001 Embassy World Finals? Nope, John Parrott was born in 1964
21. Who on the Snooker circuit has the nickname James Bond? a Cruel one here given you all said Nigel, - its actually Jan Verhaas
22. Which professional's real name is Christopher. He having changed his name to make it sound more professional? Dominic Dale
23. Has any player won their Quarter-Final, Semi-Final and Final in the same year at the Crucible by a session to spare? Nope, players have come close Ronnie winning the QF 13-3 and SF 17-4 and the Final 18-8
24. Who once said 'I'm the World No.8 and No-one's ever heard of me?' Darren Morgan
25. Who once described a tournament as a Mickey Mouse tournament only to make a personal apology to Mickey Mouse for any offence caused? Alex Higgins - who else.

25 out of 25 :D

Postby Alex0paul

Stewards inquiry

The Jameson International was the second ranking event played not the Professional Players Tournament