Post a reply

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Prop

Alex0paul wrote:Aberdeen

Correct! <ok>

It started life in 1981 as the International Open, then in 1985 it was renamed the Matchroom Trophy, reverted back to International Open the following year, until 1998 when it became known as the Scottish Open, then the Players Championship in 2004 which preceded a hiatus of 8 years due to Sky losing interest and pulling sponsorship. It came back in 2012/13, again as the Scottish Open, and became part of the Home Nations series in 2016/17.

Postby SnookerEd25

Edit : hadn’t refreshed :-(

Postby SnookerEd25

Prop wrote:

Correct! <ok>

It started life in 1981 as the International Open, then in 1985 it was renamed the Matchroom Trophy, reverted back to International Open the following year, until 1998 when it became known as the Scottish Open, then the Players Championship in 2004 which preceded a hiatus of 8 years due to Sky losing interest and pulling sponsorship. It came back in 2012/13, again as the Scottish Open, and became part of the Home Nations series in 2016/17.

I’m always dubious about the supposed evolution of tournaments. Shirley the Jameson International, as it originally began, and the current Scottish Open are completely separate events.

I mean, it’s not as if the British Open of today and the British Open as instigated in 1985 bear any real resemblance to one another and are, effectively, two completely different events - the Grand Prix of today is even further apart from its 1980s predecessor. Giving a tournament the same (or similar) title as one from the past does not make it a continuation of the defunct event - even less so if a ‘new’ event has a completely different name, venue and place in the calendar, but purports to be a continuation of something long since dispensed with.

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Prop wrote:

Correct! <ok>

I’m always dubious about the supposed evolution of tournaments. Shirley the Jameson International, as it originally began, and the current Scottish Open are completely separate events.

I mean, it’s not as if the British Open of today and the British Open as instigated in 1985 bear any real resemblance to one another and are, effectively, two completely different events - the Grand Prix of today is even further apart from its 1980s predecessor. Giving a tournament the same (or similar) title as one from the past does not make it a continuation of the defunct event - even less so if a ‘new’ event has a completely different name, venue and place in the calendar, but purports to be a continuation of something long since dispensed with.

Aye, I get you. It’s a bit like Trigger’s broom.

Postby SnookerEd25

Prop wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
Prop wrote:

Correct! <ok>

Aye, I get you. It’s a bit like Trigger’s broom.

The perfect analogy :chuckle: <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

Passive-aggressively waiting for a question

Postby Juddernaut88

Alex didn't post a question on the Identify the match quiz and that was from 4 months ago so this is already worrying signs :(

Postby SnookerEd25

To be fair, it’s his quiz :shrug:

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:To be fair, it’s his quiz :shrug:

Therefore there should be no excuse for slacking.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:To be fair, it’s his quiz :shrug:

Therefore there should be no excuse for slacking.

I disagree. I think it’s the best excuse for slacking.

What do other Islanders think? :chin:

Postby Juddernaut88

Maybe someone else should post a question. It's been 10 days.

Postby SnookerEd25

Give him til Thursday, I say

Postby Juddernaut88

It's Thursday now so someone required to post a new question,

Postby HappyCamper

Juddernaut88 wrote:It's Thursday now so someone required to post a new question,

be the change you want to see in this world.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:It's Thursday now so someone required to post a new question,

be the change you want to see in this world.

Is that a question?

Postby Prop

“We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.”

Postby SnookerEd25

Prop wrote:“We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.”

Is this from Jimmy White’s autobiography? :chin:

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Prop wrote:“We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.”

Is this from Jimmy White’s autobiography? :chin:

Les Dawson’s.

Postby Juddernaut88

Right let's keep this quiz moving.
Who did Luca Brecel beat in the 1st round of the 2023 World Snooker championship?

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Right let's keep this quiz moving.
Who did Luca Brecel beat in the 1st round of the 2023 World Snooker championship?

Mark Selby

Postby Juddernaut88

Nope Luca Brecel and Mark Selby didn't play in round 1 of the World championship this year. They played each other in the final.

Postby SnookerEd25

Sorry, misread the question.

Si Jiahui

Postby Juddernaut88

Nope Luca and Si Jianhi played in the semi final this year.

Postby SnookerEd25

My bad.

Ronnie O’Sullivan?

Postby Juddernaut88

More quiz fixing here from Ed :sad:
Ronnie is incorrect as he played Luca in the quarter final this year.