Post a reply

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Raphael98

You do not have to wait for much longer, Juddernaut88, because I finally have a question! Apologies for taking too long. But here is the question: Who was the runner-up at the 1999 Pontins Professional non-ranking tournament?

Postby Raphael98

Neither of them, although Empire State Human correctly said the winner of the tournament. Keep guessing and good luck :)

Postby Raphael98

Neither of them, unfourtanetely. I will give a clue after a couple more attempts. And from me, good night and good luck for tomorrow! :)

Postby Raphael98

chengdufan wrote:Matthew Stevens?

We have a winner! It was indeed Matthew Stevens, who lost 9-5 to Jimmy White. Over to you Chengdufan :)

Postby chengdufan

That was a wild stab!
My thinking was that Stevens was the only one more likely than Jimmy to bottle the final.

Give me some time to think of a question.

Postby chengdufan

This player, a professional between 1991 and 2007, will appear on the all-time ranking list tomorrow. Who is he?

Postby chengdufan

chengdufan wrote:This player, a professional between 1991 and 2007, will appear on the all-time ranking list tomorrow. Who is he?

He's from Bournemouth

Postby SnookerEd25

I think it’s Paul Wykes

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25 wrote:I think it’s Paul Wykes

It is :D

Postby SnookerEd25

Well, obscure 80s & 90s players is my specialty.

However, this presents two problems.

1. Now I have to think of a question post-haste before those dreaded silent phone calls in the middle of the night

2. Each morning, first thing I do is check the Chengdu all-time rankings to see who is up next, but tomorrow I’ll already know it :sad:

It’s a tough life >-(

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25 wrote:Well, obscure 80s & 90s players is my specialty.

1. Now I have to think of a question post-haste before those dreaded silent phone calls in the middle of the night

2. Each morning, first thing I do is check the Chengdu all-time rankings to see who is up next, but tomorrow I’ll already know it :sad:

It’s a tough life >-(

Them's the breaks :chuckle:

What's your prediction for where Cliff Wilson will appear in the rankings, SnookerEd?

Postby chengdufan

By the way, does anyone know how to pronounce Wykes? I don't know and it's bugging me.
Why?kes
or
Wicks
:chin:

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Well, obscure 80s & 90s players is my specialty.

It’s a tough life >-(

Them's the breaks :chuckle:

What's your prediction for where Cliff Wilson will appear in the rankings, SnookerEd?

Postby chengdufan

Interesting, we shall see :-)

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:By the way, does anyone know how to pronounce Wykes? I don't know and it's bugging me.
Why?kes
or
Wicks
:chin:

WHY-K’S I’m pretty sure. He was on TV a few times and I’m sure that’s how the refs pronounced it.

Postby SnookerEd25

Paul Wykes last dalliance with the professional game was in 2013 Q-school; which current pro’ whitewashed him 4-0 on that occasion?

Postby SnookerEd25

Straight in with a bullet, ChengduFan :hatoff:

You’ll be on Juddernaut’s Christmas card list for sure* <ok>

(*pending how long it takes you to set the next question)

Postby chengdufan

I was at a bit of an advantage having read up on Wykes yesterday :chuckle:

Which Middle Eastern player qualified for the tour from that same Q school?

Postby SnookerEd25

I will try Ahmed Saif

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25 wrote:I will try Ahmed Saif

That's correct.

Saif had a rough start to his professional career, and though there were signs he was getting to the level needed to compete towards the end of his first couple of years, he wasn't able to immediately regain his place on tour and hasn't been seen since. It's a shame I think. I thought he had the potential to be able to give it another go.

Postby SnookerEd25

There weren’t too many contenders who could fit the description, that I could think of.

Saif stuck out in my mind as being somebody who was often disparaged about his ability on this forum, with many “how did he get on tour?” type comments.

However, the only time I saw him play, he gave a very good account of himself against an established and well-respected player, only going down to a narrow 6-4 defeat.

Who was the opponent?