Post a reply

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby HappyCamper

rekoons wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
rekoons wrote:less

*fewer

Is it plain wrong to say 'less' in this circumstance, and would people in the street give me a strange look if I say that, or is it just more correct to say 'fewer'?

Always happy to improve my english, these kind of nuances are too subtle for me.

i'm just being pedantic tbh. and many native speakers would probably make the same error.

strictly speaking, 'fewer' should be used for discrete or countable quantities - ie one can only have a whole number of centuries.

whereas less is for continuous or measurable amounts, eg less distance to the pocket.

Postby rekoons

Juddernaut88 wrote:29?

Not so much less, just a little less.

Postby rekoons

Juddernaut88 wrote:34

Winner winner!

Practically half of Williams' century tally for that season came during his run to the semi final in the worlds!

Postby Juddernaut88

Higgins won the event when it was called British Gold Cup but when the name was changed to British Open he didn't clinch it I'm afraid.

Postby Juddernaut88

The player wasn't very high profile that won the event and it was his 1 and only ranking title.

Postby Juddernaut88

Not Chaperon, although he did win the British Open but in 1990, the first event was in 1985.

Postby chengdufan

Steve James

I know he only won one title but can't remember which one, so something of a guess.

Postby Juddernaut88

Not Steve James. His only ranking title was The Classic in 1990.

Postby SnookerEd25

It was Silvino Francisco.

Postby SnookerEd25

Silvino Francisco got to the QF of the World Championship in his debut season as a pro’, but never got that far again.

Who beat him in the last eight?