Post a reply

Re: 2020 Snooker Island World Championship

Postby Juddernaut88

Lovely break Aces :D I enjoyed that tricky red to middle you floated in around the 4 minute mark, I thought you were going to play it to the corner pocket.

Postby acesinc

Thanks all for the kind words. I haven't made a half-century in quite some time, but I am hitting in the 40's like this about every two months or so getting 6 or 8 hours a week. This one definitely more well controlled than most. My opening shot choice confused my opponent...he expected me to take the obvious ball and thought maybe I was playing safe! (He didn't think the White could pass that nearly obstructing ball.) Of course, I made the choice to attempt the high break as the other opening option probably would have netted me a break of 8.

Yes, that fifth Red was a recovery; I was playing screw on the Black to draw back a few more inches and came up short. It should have been the Red above Pink in the opposite middle which could have kept me on Black. With the recovery, I managed to hold the Blue nicely.

Personally, my favourite stroke of the break was the second Red. It was straighter than it looks on the video so I had to strike quite firm to bounce off cush. I could have rolled with top and played it to the opposite corner but it had no margin for error past the other Red so I didn't like that. Too much screw and I could have drawn straight into Black. Not enough spin and I could come off cush and end up too close to Black. And Reds everywhere meant it could have been very easy to place White where I couldn't get my hand on the table. It was one of those strokes that BadSnookerPlayer enjoys; you just have to feel it. One of those things that looks like it should be easy, but something usually goes wrong when you attempt it. This time it came off perfectly.

My old table plays to a tight, templated standard. Compiling a good break like this feels good. Thanks again, guys.

Postby chengdufan

I'm going to watch the end of the football first, sorry!

Here's a recap of the tournament so far:

Quarter Finals:
SnookerEd25 5-3 Rekoons
PLtheRef 6-3 ChengduFan
AcesInc 5-4 Deewee
Johnny Bravo 5-4 Pink Ball

Semi Finals:
Johnny Bravo 8-1 PLtheRef
AcesInc w/o SnookerEd25

Postby chengdufan

From Aces:

acesinc wrote:I have managed to get my 9 frames in. Scores in order of appearance:

16, 25, 30, 17, 46(! best in a few months!), 22, 29, 16, 23

I am quite happy with that though I don't expect that to be anywhere near winning numbers. Absolutely loved playing this inaugural tournament! Thanks so much for your efforts!

Postby chengdufan

From Johnny:

Johnny Bravo wrote:14, 84, 36, 18, 40, 64, 33, 54, 16

No ton, I'm a bit rusty. Missed a few blacks of the spot too :-(

Postby chengdufan

The frame winning breaks in the final were:

JB: 84, 64, 54, 40, 36, 33
AI: 46, 30, 29

A superb snooker match. Well played both players!

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Looking forward to Johnny's vid.

It doesn’t exist. It will never exist.

But Aces made it look so easy??

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Looking forward to Johnny's vid.

It doesn’t exist. It will never exist.

But Aces made it look so easy??

I guess… it is? :shrug:

Postby acesinc

chengdufan wrote:The frame winning breaks in the final were:

JB: 84, 64, 54, 40, 36, 33
AI: 46, 30, 29

A superb snooker match. Well played both players!

Thanks, Cheng. Well played, Johnny, congratulations! [elbow bump] I must admit that I was worried that I didn't belong in the same room so I am very pleased to have pinched a few frames. I feel that at least I have earned a place at the table.

A big thank you for your dedication to this project, Chengdufan. And I want to invite any other player on the Island to participate in future events. I thoroughly enjoyed the camaraderie of this event and trying to push my own limits has helped improve my game. So as this damn virus finally begins to subside, please consider getting some regular table time and joining us in the Snooker Island league events.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Thanks Acesinc.
I must admit I did not expect fo win. I was a bit lucky in 2 of the 3 frames I made a break over 50, I got in on tables where the balls were already spread, not due to my long potting.