Post a reply

Re: 2020 Snooker Island World Championship

Postby chengdufan

chengdufan wrote:I'm on my way to the snooker club. Quite excited!

So, I've played 4 of my 9 frames. I don't think PLtheref has anything to worry about :facepalm:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Chengdu fan I have a question to make sure I understood the rules correctly.

One of the rules states this: "d) If you score fewer than 20 points in a frame (i.e. 1-19 points), that frame will not count as part of your SIWC match and you will need to play another frame."
So that means that I can play more than just 9 frames, right ?
Hypothetically speaking, someone can make 8 tons and only score 10 points in the last frame. So that means you can keep on playing as many frames as you want until you make a break over 20 in one, right ?

Postby chengdufan

Johnny Bravo wrote:Chengdu fan I have a question to make sure I understood the rules correctly.

One of the rules states this: "d) If you score fewer than 20 points in a frame (i.e. 1-19 points), that frame will not count as part of your SIWC match and you will need to play another frame."
Hypothetically speaking, someone can make 8 tons and only score 10 points in the last frame. So that means you can keep on playing as many frames as you want until you make a break over 20 in one, right ?

If you lose the frame 70-20, the frame counts, even if your top break was 5.
If you lose the frame 70-19, it doesn't count, even if the 19 points you scored were in one break.

Try to play the frames as you normally would with your friend.

Postby Johnny Bravo

chengdufan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Chengdu fan I have a question to make sure I understood the rules correctly.

If you lose the frame 70-19, it doesn't count, even if the 19 points you scored were in one break.

Aah, ok then.
So if I lose one frame 70-21, and my break in that frame is 15, does that count ?

Postby chengdufan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

Aah, ok then.
So if I lose one frame 70-21, and my break in that frame is 15, does that count ?

Yes, that frame counts as one of the 9.

If 15 is one of the best 9 breaks you have, that break counts.

Postby Johnny Bravo

chengdufan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Aah, ok then.

Yes, that frame counts as one of the 9.

If 15 is one of the best 9 breaks you have, that break counts.

Ok, understood.

Postby SnookerEd25

Why the 20-point rule? I don't get why a break of 19 can count in a frame where the only points you get are that, and a foul - but not in a frame when it's the only points you get. :chin:

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25 wrote:Why the 20-point rule? I don't get why a break of 19 can count in a frame where the only points you get are that, and a foul - but not in a frame when it's the only points you get. :chin:

Good question.
The rationale is that it would suck if you get slaughtered in a frame and it has to count in the SIWC. That would be your real life opponent beating you rather than your snooker island opponent.
Why 20? Well, there has to be a cut off point. I figured scoring less than 20 was a reasonable indication that you didn't get much chance in the frame.

Postby acesinc

I did manage to get a match in this weekend. I know I don't need to post this; will PM when my scores are complete. But I figured I would keep up a little banter on this thread. I had to settle for a match with one of the club's grinders. I really, really wanted to avoid that as my game is pretty awful against grinders in general. But I am not getting on table too often these days so I figured I better count these frames. I can generally squeak out the win against a grinder, but unimpressive snooker, totally forgettable. So I finished on top at 3 frames and 1...........after 3-1/2 fookin' hours! 4 lousy frames. With the boy, we do 2 to 3 frames per hour; the balls move and the sliders slide. Grinders are torturous.

As for the breaks, I was very happy to put up one good number. Ran 32 in the first frame. Not exactly textbook but a couple of very good recoveries for 4 reds/blacks, including spotting a double among the pack that probably very few people on the planet would have imagined. Plus three more breaks that were barely double digits but I have them marked if I need them. I also ran a pretty impressive 20 if I do say so myself, but it was Yellow to Pink to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat so it can't count sadly. Missed the back double on the Black that had been tied up on the side cushion the last half of the frame, rattled the jaws.

Hopefully, I will get a match with one of the quicker players over the next week so I can mark scores from my remaining five frames.

Postby chengdufan

PLtheRef wrote:Absolutely flying in practise for this! 134 total clearance with my first go at the club in months!

Also:

I believed you for a brief moment there!

I'm still hopeful that I will avoid the whitewash.

Postby acesinc

Deewee wrote:Played the worst three frames of my life, clearly the pressure of this competition is getting to me

Lol! :pal: Relax and enjoy the snooker Deewee. Look at it this way....take pride that you have made it all the way to the quarterfinals. Even more impressive that you have accomplished this feat in your debutant appearance at this prestigious event.

rofl

I am hoping to get my match finished up this weekend.

Postby PLtheRef

acesinc wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Here goes!

Well?........

Rustiness showed a bit. Won the three frames I played but didn't get the highest break, my opponent did that one point

Postby acesinc

Finished up my match this morning. Happy with the results. I am far from the best, but a solid journeyman I think. Scores are PM'd to the referee; I won't post here.

I did run a very nice 46; sadly, it occurred in the third frame AFTER I had already played out my nine match frames so not admissible to my numbers. C'est la vie.

Postby chengdufan

Results are already in from Aces and Johnny, thanks fellas!
I still have a bit to go, have played 4 of my 9 frames so far. Hopefully will get some more in tomorrow.

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:Results are already in from Aces and Johnny, thanks fellas!
I still have a bit to go, have played 4 of my 9 frames so far. Hopefully will get some more in tomorrow.

I've played 5, but was going to PM you when I've completed 9. That OK?

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25 wrote:

I've played 5, but was going to PM you when I've completed 9. That OK?

Yes, no need to message me till 9 are complete.

Postby Pink Ball

In that case, Johnny and I have completed our match.

My top nine were: 64, 51, 48, 42, 39, 36, 35, 29, 26