Post a reply

A new Toronto league/tournaments?

Postby bayleyWAG

Hi, guys.

First off, if you're wondering why I'm on here instead of Matt - I just finished watching him try to post what I'm about to here on the Snookerline forum, and it was pretty funny when it wasn't maddening. :huh: <doh> He's a sweetheart, but believe me...it's better this way. ;-)

Okay, so Matt's been talking to a few other players about getting some tournaments or a league going for the summer for snooker and maybe 8/9 ball pool in Toronto. There are the odd pool leagues, but barely anything for snooker while qualifying is not going on. He wants to start small, but keep growing so snooker can regain a presence it once had back in tha day in this town. He's based downtown at the Annex Club, but something at one or all of the other places would be cool.

So if you're in the GTA and this sounds interesting, let me know and I'll pass the word on to Matt. Thanks!

Peace,
Valerie

Re: A new Toronto league/tournaments?

Postby Sickpotter

I'm available but can't commit to a league ATM. If Matt would like to meet up for some games I'll pop by Shooters this weekend and we can play (time permitting) or setup a match for later.

Postby bayleyWAG

Thanks, Rob. That's why tournaments are being considered too, so we'll keep you posted. Not sure if he can make it there this weekend, but PM me your contact deets to pass on for when he's next there.

Peace,
Valerie

Postby MattB147

Hi there people.

Quick inroduction. I am said boyfriend of Valerie/bayleyWAG which makes me Matt Bayley. Hi Rob and other GTA players who hopefully stumble accross this.

Anyway, I have been doing some work on starting a new snooker tournament as hinted on above so hopefully this is now in motion...........see below:

All of you snooker players out there:

It has been decided that there will be a snooker tournament at the Annex Billiards Club on Sundays at 2pm starting next Sunday (3rd July 2011).

If you wish to play/register, either turn up at the club 30 mins prior to the event or contact me on my cell at 647-857-1470 or email at mattbayleysnooker@live.com. The tournaments will be handicapped and handicaps will be altered according to results from previous weeks.

As a further note, if the tournaments are successful, I will be looking to organise a league on weeknight basis at some point, but one step at a time, I guess...

If we don't get the numbers to beging with which is likely we shall carry on trying until we do. Persistence is the key I believe!

Cheers for now

Matt

Postby MattB147

Just an update and a couple pieces of good news about these tournaments. So far we've had 3 different winners in the 3 weeks, so the handicapping is going pretty well with no complaints. There are fewer complaints now about the tables, since the Annex Billiards Club has re-clothed all 8 snooker tables (well done Pat McCarthy and his crew, as well as the Annex owners). Also, the entry fee each week is now $15 to encourage even more players who wish to have competitive practice at an affordable price.

As far as parking is concerned for the venue, the City of Toronto has yet to issue a special permit for snooker players. :-) However, for anyone out-of-town there is free parking at Yorkdale mall with access to TTC transit from there directly to the club (Spadina Station). Otherwise, Sunday is usually the easiest day of the week for street parking.

Again, here's that Facebook event page, which has plenty of updates - invite yourself and plenty of friends!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/even ... 1814273248

The response from the players so far has been great, especially from the new faces. So guys and gals, let's keep the balls rolling so to speak and who knows, we may have a Team Canada in Snooker World Cup 2012 next year! :-)

Matt