Post a reply

Re: The World Number 1 Speaks Out

Postby mantorok

Running side wrote:Did nobody get my double entrondre. Acting like fannies, not to be sniffed at quote or are you just ignoring me.

Tough crowd.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Can't we all just agree that they both act like fannies?

Well, they do - that’s for sure.

I just get the feeling Ron’s tongue is firmly in his cheek, whilst Judd goes home and shouts at himself in the mirror.

Indeed.

Postby SnookerFan

Running side wrote:Did nobody get my double entrondre. Acting like fannies, not to be sniffed at quote or are you just ignoring me.

I didn't notice it.

Sorry.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:

I didn't notice it.

Sorry.

You’re mixing us up with a more intelligent forum :hmmm:

Postby Holden Chinaski

*entendre

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:

*entendre

But our spelling is immaculate :chuckle:

Postby Iranu

A woman walked into a bar and asked the bartender for a double entendre.

So he gave her one.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:A woman walked into a bar and asked the bartender for a double entendre.

So he gave her one.

:clap:

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:A woman walked into a bar and asked the bartender for a double entendre.

So he gave her one.

The old'uns are the best.

That’s what she said.

Postby chengdufan

SnookerFan wrote:

So he gave her one.

The old'uns are the best.

They're certainly the oldest

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:Go Judd !!!
Go polo shirts !!!
buck the waistcoats and the bow and tie !!!
:mosh:

Is there a double entendre in there? :chin:

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Go polo shirts !!!

Probably not even a single one, given the poster :john:

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Go polo shirts !!!

<laugh>

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Go polo shirts !!!

There might be a half entendre in there.

Postby Satch4

Speaking as an outsider of the UK, the obvious "Britishness" is part of snooker's appeal and that includes the dress code. Some of the rules like misses, being sat in the chair to test your capacity to keep a stiff upper lip for all to see, calling fouls on yourself, the referee carefully looking to see if an an article of clothing is touching a ball, tapping your knee in approval when the other guy does a good shot etc I have hard time seeing other cultures developing a sport like that has these kinds of characteristics and would prefer to see them stay. I think Brits like Judd and probably on this board don't see some of things as appealing because it's tired and old to them but to outsiders it has international flavor.

Scooper wrote:I’m in favour of relaxing the dress code. They look more like waiters than sportsmen.

More like a continuation of the culture of the game's creators ie British officers in the 1800's who expect themselves and their peers to wear attire appropriate of a gentleman :happy:
Last edited by Satch4 on 11 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Satch4 wrote:Speaking as an outsider of the UK, the obvious "Britishness" is part of snooker's appeal and that includes the dress code. Some of the rules like misses, being sat in the chair to test your capacity to keep a stiff upper lip for all to see, calling fouls on yourself, the referee carefully looking to see if an an article of clothing is touching a ball, tapping your knee in approval when the other guy does a good shot etc I have hard time seeing other cultures developing a sport like that has these kinds of characteristics and would prefer to see them stay. I think Brits like Judd and probably on this board don't see some of things as appealing because it's tired and old to them but to outsiders it has international flavor.

I'm also not from the UK and I like all those things you mentioned as well. I like the old school dress code, the fact that players call fouls on themselves, tapping the table ... This is what makes snooker different from other sports and I like that. Snooker doesn't need to change, in my opinion. It just needs more talent with charisma like the Class of 92 had.. Judd is more like a footballer.
Last edited by Holden Chinaski on 11 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Snooker ain’t broke.

Does have a lot of breaks though

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Snooker ain’t broke.

Does have a lot of breaks though

Oh very good :clap:

Postby Prop

Satch4 wrote:Speaking as an outsider of the UK, the obvious "Britishness" is part of snooker's appeal and that includes the dress code. Some of the rules like misses, being sat in the chair to test your capacity to keep a stiff upper lip for all to see, calling fouls on yourself, the referee carefully looking to see if an an article of clothing is touching a ball, tapping your knee in approval when the other guy does a good shot etc I have hard time seeing other cultures developing a sport like that has these kinds of characteristics and would prefer to see them stay. I think Brits like Judd and probably on this board don't see some of things as appealing because it's tired and old to them but to outsiders it has international flavor.

Scooper wrote:I’m in favour of relaxing the dress code. They look more like waiters than sportsmen.

More like a continuation of the culture of the game's creators ie British officers in the 1800's who expect themselves and their peers to wear attire appropriate of a gentleman :happy:

:goodpost:

Postby badtemperedcyril

As many will know, snooker was in the shadows of billiards until the 1930's (1934 to be precise) but it then became the number one billiard table sport in Britain. Most of the early snooker players were originally billiard players and so it was only natural that it would inherit most of the traditions.

Here is an artists impression of the scene from the first ever World Billiards Championship at St James' Hall in London, between John Roberts Snr and the 20-year old William Cook. As can be seen, it isn't much different from a top championship snooker match today, except the non-striker isn't often seen wearing a hat!

Postby Prop

badtemperedcyril wrote:As many will know, snooker was in the shadows of billiards until the 1930's (1934 to be precise) but it then became the number one billiard table sport in Britain. Most of the early snooker players were originally billiard players and so it was only natural that it would inherit most of the traditions.

Here is an artists impression of the scene from the first ever World Billiards Championship at St James' Hall in London, between John Roberts Snr and the 20-year old William Cook. As can be seen, it isn't much different from a top championship snooker match today, except the non-striker isn't often seen wearing a hat!

There’s footage somewhere of a very young Alex Higgins playing in a place where the crowd are standing tightly packed, almost in touching distance of the table. I bet the atmosphere was intense. That picture reminds me of it, albeit in different eras.

It’s interesting how the audience have changed over the years. Lots of footage on YouTube (which I’m hesitant to call ‘old’ because it’d make me feel old) of the Crucible crowd on finals weekend all in tuxedos and best dresses. That seems to have been a bit lost, as well.

Postby SnookerEd25

Love that pic. Nice one Cyril <ok>

Also think I know the piece of footage you’re referring to, Prop; isn’t there also a portable gas fire within striking distance of the table and crowd too?

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:Love that pic. Nice one Cyril <ok>

Also think I know the piece of footage you’re referring to, Prop; isn’t there also a portable gas fire within striking distance of the table and crowd too?

Yes! I think you’re right. A very intimate affair :-D

Postby badtemperedcyril

The front few rows on finals night at the Masters when it was at Wembley Conference Centre were always filled with dignitaries wearing their best evening dress.

I'd love to have been at the 1972 World Championship final at Selly Park British Legion in Birmingham when Alex beat Spencer. A smoke filled hall, tiered seating constructed by planks of wood over beer crates, a mobile generator to power the table lighting. Men constantly walking back and forth to the bar to refresh their glasses. The atmosphere must have been electric. PROPER SNOOKER!

Postby Prop

badtemperedcyril wrote:The front few rows on finals night at the Masters when it was at Wembley Conference Centre were always filled with dignitaries wearing their best evening dress.

I'd love to have been at the 1972 World Championship final at Selly Park British Legion in Birmingham when Alex beat Spencer. A smoke filled hall, tiered seating constructed by planks of wood over beer crates, a mobile generator to power the table lighting. Men constantly walking back and forth to the bar to refresh their glasses. The atmosphere must have been electric. PROPER SNOOKER!

These might well be the exact two pieces of footage I’m referring to. I assumed it was the Crucible but yes the Conference Centre makes sense. I agree. Like a big league match in a smoky club but on a much larger, more intense scale!