Post a reply

Re: Liang Sentenced For Assaulting a Woman

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:What reason can there be?

I dunno. Perhaps she assaulted him with a knife and he got mad. Perhaps she was an ex girldfriend and he found her cheating with a friend of his. Perhaps he was drunk and mistook her for someone else.
But there must be a reason. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense for him to hit a random woman of the street. :?

Mistaking her for someone else is no justification. He still assaulted somebody. I don't even understand why you think that would explain anything.

It seems unlikely that she came at him with a knife. His attack was sustained and he dragged through the streets. We're not talking about using just the force needed to escape here. And let's face it, I'm explaining it more than it needs to be explained. She obviously didn't attack him with a knife.

I am sure there was a "reason", in that he probably didn't attack a stranger out of nowhere. But that's not the same thing as a justification.

Men that defend other men assaulting women make themselves look suspicious, at the very least.

Postby SnookerArcher

He pleaded guilty so it should be as simple as its reported, even if she wronged him he still beat her up and publicly too so isn't defensible legally no matter how sharp a legal defence team is.

I saw last year an incident on the bus with a man holding a woman against the window of a closed shop at night around Gray's Inn road, I got off near Mount Pleasant and walked back to confront the situation, the man said something about me being chinese then told me to buck off, I asked what was going on and it looks bad him holding a woman by her neck, he said was just a domestic & was less hostile then and the partner said it's fine just ignore him (He was obviously drunk, maybe she had some too), not 100% convinced but I went on my way, on the bus I saw again they were at it but the woman at least did push him away. So it's not always obvious who's in the wrong or right, is easy to assume it's always the man at fault but if he's being physical that is a usually right assumption, I hope whatever it was was resolved but I did the right thing not just turning a blind eye to it which is what a lot of people do. I couldn't watch over the couple all night to make sure nothing untoward happens and didn't think it was right to report it to the police, yes it could be the woman was too afraid to speak up as a victim which often happens but realistically could I have done much more? I feel better I tried to do something at least & that nothing bad happened.

Re Liang's incident the victim's reported to have screamed for help so he's clearly the aggressor regardless of motive he's in the wrong.

Postby Cloud Strife

Like Johnny, I am interested in the context surrounding this incident too. Surely, Liang didn't just randomly attack someone for no reason?

And no, I am not justifying his actions.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:Johnny is an idiot and a hammer. We already knew this, nothing new here.

Go buck yourself, you're the idiot, you always have been, that's why you even insulted YanFan who has never said anything bad about anyone on this forum.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:Stop trying to find a justification for a vicious assault. And buck off.

Nobody's defending his actions you moron, I'm trying to understand why.
Unless he's a complete nutjob, he has to have had a reason for his actions.

Postby Minimum Break

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Johnny is an idiot and a hammer. We already knew this, nothing new here.

Go buck yourself, you're the idiot, you always have been, that's why you even insulted YanFan who has never said anything bad about anyone on this forum.

I agree, YanFan was very harshly treated here. He should come back.

Postby SnookerFan

His reasons seem irrelevant to me. We all seem to agree that whatever the reason, it's not justified. He isn't accused of attacking somebody without provocation. He's accused of assault.

Let's just say they had an argument, or whatever. How does that change anything?

Postby SnookerEd25

Minimum Break wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I agree, YanFan was very harshly treated here. He should come back.

Nobody’s stopping him :shrug: in any guise.

Postby SnookerArcher

SnookerFan wrote:His reasons seem irrelevant to me. We all seem to agree that whatever the reason, it's not justified. He isn't accused of attacking somebody without provocation. He's accused of assault.

Let's just say they had an argument, or whatever. How does that change anything?

At most even if there was considerable provocation e.g she conned him out of all his hard earned snooker money it's still a vicious assault and public too, it would have to be something extenuating to make it seem less atrocious in any way, it wasn't just the one slap or hit.

Re Yanfan I'm new to this but from what I saw they acted the victim & wounded party but if they simply did what they said they would, be a man of their word cos what are they worth if they don't do as they say? Ronnie O'Sullivan is condemned to this day after walking out of a match, similarly YanFan just leaving is a sign of weakness to me.

I don't come here much so maybe it is the case Chinaski's nasty and victimised him to breaking point but going on what I've seen it's likely more internet banter maybe a bit excessive for the more sensitive but at least I don't think he was horrible. I'm biased of course as I'm a Ronnie fan & Yan was cheering on Judd hehe! No jokes aside from an objective point of view, YanFan made some claims, not implausible ones that are simple enough to back up these days with how tech is but he tried to prove a point dubiously pushing for a large bet & asking for a 3rd party to settle it even. Trying to be the bigger man I'll say it backfired spectacularly on the teenager's part.

Postby Wildey

Cant Believe some here actually trying to find a reason why a Man Assaulted a Woman Doesn't Matter if it was provocation, it was undefendable anyway. Assault can turn out Manslaughter and has many times with Domestic Abuse.

Postby Minimum Break

Wildey wrote:Cant Believe some here actually trying to find a reason why a Man Assaulted a Woman Doesn't Matter if it was provocation, it was undefendable anyway. Assault can turn out Manslaughter and has many times with Domestic Abuse.

Don't think anyone but Johnny is or was.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wildey wrote:Cant Believe some here actually trying to find a reason why a Man Assaulted a Woman Doesn't Matter if it was provocation, it was undefendable anyway. Assault can turn out Manslaughter and has many times with Domestic Abuse.

For the millionth time, nobody is trying to defend his actions or say it was ok, I'm trying to understand WHY he did it.

Postby Minimum Break

Johnny Bravo wrote:

For the millionth time, nobody is trying to defend his actions or say it was ok, I'm trying to understand WHY he did it.

It was a domestic violence incident.

Are you happy now?

Postby SnookerArcher

Minimum Break wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Are you happy now?

That wasn't domestic in setting.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerArcher wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Are you happy now?

That wasn't domestic in setting.

So it's only domestic abuse if it happens inside?

Postby SnookerArcher

Not sure in legal terms if they differentiate, is Liang's crime deemed worse being done publicly? Certainly he has no way to deny it with a witness, domestic abuse & other crimes of abuse, rape etc are harder than they should be to punish the perpetrator for various reasons. You would think with how advanced forensics are they should be able to easily prove abuse and rape, certainly if reported in a timely manner but the legal system puts too much stock in confession & witnesses.

Postby mick745

Police and courts can pursue domestic violence/abuse crimes even if the victim does not wish to make a statement. The reason for this is that the victim may be under duress or threats to 'withdraw' any allegations by a violent partner.

Of course, in the Caroline Flack incident the case was being pursued anyway, even though her boyfriend had not wished to pursue it, for the reasons above.

Postby SnookerArcher

mick745 wrote:Police and courts can pursue domestic violence/abuse crimes even if the victim does not wish to make a statement. The reason for this is that the victim may be under duress or threats to 'withdraw' any allegations by a violent partner.

Of course, in the Caroline Flack incident the case was being pursued anyway, even though her boyfriend had not wished to pursue it, for the reasons above.

Right but it's much harder than needs to be otherwise we'd have far less domestic abuse. I heard it went up during lockdown. Sadly I do know past victims of it IRL and online & it always makes me furious. I don't agree with it naturally, if you're wronged you should report it and ASAP but a lot of rape victims don't as they don't want to be subjected to the arduous process of giving evidence, questioned repeatedly and heavily having their integrity scrutinised or no hope for the justice system as it too often fails victims. Very ODD xmas say reading but for 2020 xmas that was what I read, saw a documentary about Caligula and an american history caught my eye so looked her up and it brought me to an article she published about being raped in college & how horrible the system was in pursuing it, doubting her & being uncaring.

Yes often abusers know how to play people and appear the model partner & many are sly with how they abuse them e.g. verbally, mentally etc, which wasn't deemed legal abuse till rather recently or if they do it violently they do so without bruising or wounds.

I assume if the justice system decides to pursue possible abuse there would have to be sufficient suspicion and evidence to do so without consent as they aren't overflowing with time and resources. Or if it's high profile it will be bumped.

Postby mick745

When people complain about our justice system i simply ask what other country's justice system would they rather live under? Although the UK's isnt perfect by any means (which is?) it is a damn sight better than lots of places.

Rape is difficult as usually only two people are present so it is one word against another. The burden of proof being 'beyond a reasonable doubt' so a difficult threshold to meet in those circumstances, especially if one or more parties was inebriated and have a hazy memory of events.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Minimum Break wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Are you happy now?

No. I need all the details. Was the woman his girlfriend ? Did she parakeet ? etc

Postby Iranu

mick745 wrote:When people complain about our justice system i simply ask what other country's justice system would they rather live under? Although the UK's isnt perfect by any means (which is?) it is a damn sight better than lots of places.

Well yeah but that doesn’t mean we should just be happy with the way it is or that we can’t complain or wish it was better.

“I’m not happy with what the WST have done to the UK Championship.”

“Would you rather be watching golf then?”

Postby Johnny Bravo

mick745 wrote:When people complain about our justice system i simply ask what other country's justice system would they rather live under? Although the UK's isnt perfect by any means (which is?) it is a damn sight better than lots of places.

Rape is difficult as usually only two people are present so it is one word against another. The burden of proof being 'beyond a reasonable doubt' so a difficult threshold to meet in those circumstances, especially if one or more parties was inebriated and have a hazy memory of events.

Sadly, rape is very common is South America. So is violence. :-(
If you are walking/passing through the wrong place/neighborhood, you can get mugged or killed if you carry visible valuables.
Many rich people have bullet proof cars.

Postby mick745

Iranu wrote:

Well yeah but that doesn’t mean we should just be happy with the way it is or that we can’t complain or wish it was better.

No its not perfect but hopefully anomalies in the system are constantly looked at and improved if necessary. Obviously it is important we dont have political interference and the judiciary is independent of government. But independence will sometimes mean it goes rogue. But it is in all our interests that it is as good as can be, hopefully none of us will be wrongly accussed of anything. If i am i am confident the law will be on the right side and justice will be fair. Of course 99.9% of the time it is, it is the one case in 1000 that we hear on the news where things may have gone awry.

Postby SnookerArcher

It's also pathetically slow too so definitely nothing to cheer about, just like the NHS.

Postby SnookerArcher

Iranu wrote:

GOLF! Can't think of a more boring sport to watch! A+ too, deflection is no defence, it would be like with UK's obesity issue which is getting worse with 2/3 overweight or worse & retorting, there's worse like USA! (Which IS true all fairness)

Postby SnookerArcher

mick745 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

No its not perfect but hopefully anomalies in the system are constantly looked at and improved if necessary. Obviously it is important we dont have political interference and the judiciary is independent of government. But independence will sometimes mean it goes rogue. But it is in all our interests that it is as good as can be, hopefully none of us will be wrongly accussed of anything. If i am i am confident the law will be on the right side and justice will be fair. Of course 99.9% of the time it is, it is the one case in 1000 that we hear on the news where things may have gone awry.

I got to do jury service last month as it happens, just got into 1 courtroom but I wasn't selected, oh well. Yes I can believe it's at least less crooked and biased than USA's system, with a majority of the supreme court being religious fanatics & obviously money talks in all walks of life too much there. My first job was in local government, finance admin for legal services, I can tell you the admin was a mess. Yes I know you'll say could be worse, no system is ideal. Lack of funding is often a big reason for under performance.

Funnily enough 1 of the days at Wood Green, where my crown court was, I was eating lunch at McDonalds & there was a lookalike of Shaun Murphy there! He had facial hair though, I was part tempted to ask if it's him though he moved to North Ireland didn't he? He wouldn't need to be there other than for the Masters.

Yes rape is tricky though if done forcefully I'd have thought with 21st century forensics there'd be clues someone was taken against their will, if they struggled there would be evidence. Though yes a lot of victims freeze so forensically it appears consensual so is a pickle.

JB, yes I heard in Guild Wars 2 a SA who was promoting it as the best place on earth how he's been pistol whipped before, spoke so blase about it like it's like missing a bus and it's his fault lol for going out alone at night!? I'd hate to imagine how unsafe it is for girls there then! Has more guncrime per capita than USA.