Post a reply

John Higgins: Federer Retirement Was Cringey

Postby TheRocket

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/j ... -handshake

Higgins said: “I did get shown bits of the TV footage of the Roger Federer retirement match at the Laver Cup, and if I’m honest I thought it was all a bit…cringey! Put it this way, if Ronnie retires I don’t think I’ll be there holding his hand and crying – I am never doing that. I reckon if it was me retiring it might just be a handshake, that’s it and walk off out of the arena! I don’t know what I would do if Ronnie asked me to play doubles with him for his last match".

Discuss

Re: John Higgins: Federer Retirement Was Cringey

Postby SnookerEd25

Pink Ball wrote:When I retire, the head of DHL in Galway will cry so hard he poops himself. He hates me, but my God he respects me.

A surprisingly moving post.

I’m in bits :sad:

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:When I retire, the head of DHL in Galway will cry so hard he poops himself. He hates me, but my God he respects me.

So are most of his customers’ deliveries.

Postby chengdufan

SnookerEd25 wrote:

Not that surprising. How else is it going to get delivered?

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

rofl

Postby Acé

It was cringe cuz it was never supposed to happen that way, he tried to look for a fairytale ending but it never happened

had he converted 2 match points and not choked Wimbledon 19 away he would've retired there and then, or at least Basel 2019

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

:lol:

Postby SnookerFan

Dannyboy wrote:Am I allowed to say that the scene in the hotel room with the undercover camera was a bit cringey?

The what?

Why were they filming him in his hotel room? Sounds like something from Debbie does Dallas.

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Lol

Postby SnookerEd25

CaldoTheKid wrote:I think John agreeing to fix matches which then overshadowed the whole world championship was far more cringey. Pity he wasn't given the Stephen Lee/Quinten Hann treatment.

You have either misunderstood, or not bothered to find out about, what Higgins was charged with and subsequently (on the basis of the evidence available) found guilty of.

I’m no fan of Higgins but to compare his situation with Stephen Lee’s, for which there was a lengthy dossier released as to what he was charged with - I read every page - and his ‘excuses’ (which were somewhat lame) or Quinten Hann who didn’t even bother to respond to the charges against him - just sulked off back to Australia, is somewhat disingenuous- but I suspect that was your aim here anyway.

Postby CaldoTheKid

SnookerEd25 wrote:
CaldoTheKid wrote:I think John agreeing to fix matches which then overshadowed the whole world championship was far more cringey. Pity he wasn't given the Stephen Lee/Quinten Hann treatment.

You have either misunderstood, or not bothered to find out about, what Higgins was charged with and subsequently (on the basis of the evidence available) found guilty of.

I’m no fan of Higgins but to compare his situation with Stephen Lee’s, for which there was a lengthy dossier released as to what he was charged with - I read every page - and his ‘excuses’ (which were somewhat lame) or Quinten Hann who didn’t even bother to respond to the charges against him - just sulked off back to Australia, is somewhat disingenuous- but I suspect that was your aim here anyway.

Maybe so but in my opinion given how he talked about how to launder the money etc, he should have been charged with conspiracy to fix matches.

Postby SnookerEd25

It would have been a non-starter and a waste of everybody’s time. Charges can only be brought on the evidence available and, after investigation, there was little if any to suggest a charge of conspiracy to fix matches would have been justified.

In fact, given the subsequent behaviour and collapse of the tabloid newspaper involved, I’m surprised anyone is giving any credibility to this sorry episode at all.

Postby SnookerFan

I mean, I know this is old news, but my opinion was that the NOTW got him bladdered, got him to admit a few stupid things. BOOM! News story. It wouldn't surprise me if he had no intention of doing it.

That's my uninformed, no evidence to back it opinion.

His line about believing he was dealing with the mafia was a blatant lie though.

Postby Andre147

It wasn't cringey in my opinion. Like it or not, Tennis is a much bigger sport than Snooker in terms of global audience, and Federer has inspired millions across the world. Will remain my favourite ever sportsman the way he conducted himself on and off the court. I cried and became emotional, like many, at his retirement speech and everyone's reaction.

Ronnie doesnt need to have a retirement like this, because like I said, like it or not Tennis is much bigger globally than Snooker.

Postby LC

Andre147 wrote:It wasn't cringey in my opinion. Like it or not, Tennis is a much bigger sport than Snooker in terms of global audience, and Federer has inspired millions across the world. Will remain my favourite ever sportsman the way he conducted himself on and off the court. I cried and became emotional, like many, at his retirement speech and everyone's reaction.

Ronnie doesnt need to have a retirement like this, because like I said, like it or not Tennis is much bigger globally than Snooker.

I agree tennis is much bigger, federer like Ronnie wins with flair and was the best to watch, when Ronnie retires it will leave a big mark on snooker more than any other player who’s retired before

Postby Wildey

LC wrote:
Andre147 wrote:It wasn't cringey in my opinion. Like it or not, Tennis is a much bigger sport than Snooker in terms of global audience, and Federer has inspired millions across the world. Will remain my favourite ever sportsman the way he conducted himself on and off the court. I cried and became emotional, like many, at his retirement speech and everyone's reaction.

I agree tennis is much bigger, federer like Ronnie wins with flair and was the best to watch, when Ronnie retires it will leave a big mark on snooker more than any other player who’s retired before

Snooker will dust itself off and move on no different to any other player.

People said word for word when Alex Higgins Retired or in his case Banned The Legacy of Ronnie will be pretty rubbish if we harp on to the past when hes gone Move on we must and move on we will.