Post a reply

Re: The World Number 1 Speaks Out

Postby Running side

Not much wrong with pro game in my opinion,sure Barry and his team are looking for improvement to protect the game and their investment .problems in amateur game compounded by covid, no matches or travel. Good chance to reset and develop a long time plan.

Postby cupotee

Prop wrote:You’re dodging my question. I’ll reiterate.

How does a young player find themselves in the position where they believe they are worthy of the cost of entering this tour?

i wasn't dodging anything , they play in high street clubs or whats left of them still around and garner whatever interest and experience they can before making that decision , i don't think its realistic to get anything outside of wst to replicate pro conditions except the european and billiards snooker association and to enter that you'd need plenty of money too , i have no problem with keeping these tuppence hapeny high street clubs open for aspiring players to garner their hopes and aspirations and upon that they can take the plunge financially and go for it , they'd only make a better decision about whether they want to stay in this venture while on the tour and not outside of it because there's insufficient facilities to replicate wst conditions , i know that sounds precarious but i don't see any other way around it as i said there's insufficient facilities outside of the wst .

Postby Iranu

Sickpotter wrote:They've done studies, average attention span has dropped significantly but more with the advent of smart phones than the internet.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/te ... 497182.cms

But that’s not really the issue. Young people binge tv shows for hours at a time. It’s about getting them to tune into snooker in the first place so that some stick with it, even if they’re using their phones at the same time. Hell I do that anyway. I guess most of us do otherwise the forum would be dead during matches.

Postby Iranu

cupotee wrote:

How does a young player find themselves in the position where they believe they are worthy of the cost of entering this tour?

i wasn't dodging anything , they play in high street clubs or whats left of them still around and garner whatever interest and experience they can before making that decision , i don't think its realistic to get anything outside of wst to replicate pro conditions except the european and billiards snooker association and to enter that you'd need plenty of money too , i have no problem with keeping these tuppence hapeny high street clubs open for aspiring players to garner their hopes and aspirations and upon that they can take the plunge financially and go for it , they'd only make a better decision about whether they want to stay in this venture while on the tour and not outside of it because there's insufficient facilities to replicate wst conditions , i know that sounds precarious but i don't see any other way around it as i said there's insufficient facilities outside of the wst .

Won’t those youngsters be left with the same problem? Getting beaten by pros who already have pro conditions experience? I don’t see how it solves anything. Particularly if they turn pro sooner than they otherwise would - won’t they just get disillusioned sooner?

Postby Prop

cupotee wrote:

Yeah, that’s fair enough. My worry is the opportunity, or rather lack of, for young lads and lasses to actually form an interest in playing the game and then try it out in the first place. It got discussed a bit in another thread; in terms of promotion of the sport and then being able to fulfill that interest.

Postby cupotee

Iranu wrote:
cupotee wrote:

Won’t those youngsters be left with the same problem? Getting beaten by pros who already have pro conditions experience? I don’t see how it solves anything. Particularly if they turn pro sooner than they otherwise would - won’t they just get disillusioned sooner?

i think that happens to every player everywhere when they step up to a higher league , its just part of the learning curve , if they can afford it and are willing to stick with it i think its conceivable they can become better attuned to staying in matches and eeking a living out of the game , look at someone like duane jones today , i think he qualified from the 2015 q school so he was obviously a good player then but that play we saw today i think is perfectly attainable for new entrants willing and interested enough to stick with it , and even someone like him i guess had to ask questions about sticking with it , likewise i guess jamie jones when he was out , their level of play isn't unattainable to those that want to get there but the system now i think is too constrictive .

Postby gallantrabbit

mantorok wrote:I tell you what else would also help, a complete and utter shake-up of the commentary, and I don't mean getting rid of them and putting new people in, although there are some I would drop in a heartbeat, but generally the commentary is still very old school, where's the enthusiasm, the excitement? Why do some commentators feel the need to create that funeral-home feel?

And no I don't have any suggestions, some of the commentators comment really well on every stage of a match, and frame, take Fouldsy, when he speaks it's for reason and he is really engaging, they need more commentary like that, and they shouldn't go silent for too long, and if there's not much to say then talk about something interesting, maybe a bit more trivia about the players or something juicy, and yeah, they need to go a little over the top with the drama. Like I say there are a handful that do this already, the rest should be shot.

This is all theatrical and shallow I know, but unfortunately it works, viewers want to feel something important and exciting is happening, even if it is just a white ball hitting a another ball into the pocket.

Yes , refer back to Anthony Hamilton interview. Do we really have to put up with more DT dross in a couple of weeks?

Postby gallantrabbit

I think Trump is suggesting a bit of balance. Probably a sly dig at the Jimmy Hendry circus too. Sure he's having a go at the archaic BBC set up too. Certainly time to shift out deadwood there, (ie DT).
As for dress code, yes the waistcoat thing does seem a bit archaic too and players should learn to self promote better. But then at the end of the day the young players have also got to bring it to get seen. No good a dashing Ollie Lines cracking in 5 breaks over 70 in the first round of the qualies only to get beat by the almost retired Dominic Dale next match up...

Postby Running side

I would be surprised if this is not the last championship for JV and Den, admitted showing signs of past their best,still loved by senior viewers who make a large percentage of TV ratings. Sport seems to rely on experience in com box,Murray, Allis,motson,Arllot all worked into their 80s. Snookers com style developed because commentary was done sat in the audience, hence whispering Ted Lowe. Until fairley recently com boxes at the Crucible were not totally sound proof. Personally I prefer the little and often approach rather than talking for the sake to time fill. Regarding waistcoats ,imagine they would be many more fouls ,shirts dropping closer to the table so actually in a players favour .

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:
Jester82 wrote:Young folks do not have the attention span for Snooker. With Darts you can drink yourself to death and behave obnoxiously, while Snooker is more gentle and worldly. To some it might seem almost dull.
You don't see fighting like you do in the football stadium, flip a birdie and what not. And there is no real controversy in Snooker beyond sb. wearing his bow tie incorrectly. It does not make any headlines. And the players who participate aren't any interesting characters when you walk around looking like a penguin.

It's true - smart phones / the internet have killed attention spans.

Have you any proof of...

Just a mo’

<checks phone beep>

Postby The_Abbott

gallantrabbit wrote:I think Trump is suggesting a bit of balance. Probably a sly dig at the Jimmy Hendry circus too. Sure he's having a go at the archaic BBC set up too. Certainly time to shift out deadwood there, (ie DT).
As for dress code, yes the waistcoat thing does seem a bit archaic too and players should learn to self promote better. But then at the end of the day the young players have also got to bring it to get seen. No good a dashing Ollie Lines cracking in 5 breaks over 70 in the first round of the qualies only to get beat by the almost retired Dominic Dale next match up...

Trump just wants the attention. He's probably annoyed that a 99 year old man is dominating the news and schedules right now.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:I think Trump is suggesting a bit of balance. Probably a sly dig at the Jimmy Hendry circus too. Sure he's having a go at the archaic BBC set up too. Certainly time to shift out deadwood there, (ie DT).

Trump just wants the attention. He's probably annoyed that a 99 year old man is dominating the news and schedules right now.

rofl

Postby Johnny Bravo

Told you guys a long time ago polo shirts are the way.
Now Judd backs me up. :mosh:

And he also said (indirectly) that the BBC should get rid of old darts like Taylor.

Postby SnookerEd25

Running side wrote:Trump has never said anything noteworthy in his career, he may be world no1 but as little personality, turns up play usually wins takes money and goes home. Does he put anything back into the game, doubt it.

That I have to agree with. he is an exceptional player, extremely watchable in himself but an ambassador for the sport?

Sadly no. Those who have gone before him (Davis, Hendry, O’Sullivan, even Williams, J. Higgins, Selby) as dominant players for a time have had a measure of intelligence and charisma befitting their status.

Judd has little charisma and even less intelligence I’m afraid, and should concentrate solely on playing and keeping his mouth shut. But as the current dominant player, the television and media outlets look to him for quotes and sound bites and I get the impression he is not very comfortable with it hence continually putting his foot in his mouth.

That’s my opinion, anyway.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:Told you guys a long time ago polo shirts are the way.
Now Judd backs me up. :mosh:

And he also said (indirectly) that the BBC should get rid of old darts like Taylor.

Old darts?

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Running side wrote:Trump has never said anything noteworthy in his career, he may be world no1 but as little personality, turns up play usually wins takes money and goes home. Does he put anything back into the game, doubt it.

That I have to agree with. he is an exceptional player, extremely watchable in himself but an ambassador for the sport?

Sadly no. Those who have gone before him (Davis, Hendry, O’Sullivan, even Williams, J. Higgins, Selby) as dominant players for a time have had a measure of intelligence and charisma befitting their status.

Judd has little charisma and even less intelligence I’m afraid, and should concentrate solely on playing and keeping his mouth shut. But as the current dominant player, the television and media outlets look to him for quotes and sound bites and I get the impression he is not very comfortable with it hence continually putting his foot in his mouth.

That’s my opinion, anyway.

:goodpost:

Postby SnookerFan

Good job that we have Ronnie giving intelligent opinion like; "Power Snooker is the future of the sport" and "I'm going to create a breakaway tour with Higgins and the banned Chinese payers".

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Good job that we have Ronnie giving intelligent opinion like; "Power Snooker is the future of the sport" and "I'm going to create a breakaway tour with Higgins and the banned Chinese payers".

Like him or not, but you have to admit Ronnie has been great for the popularity of the game. He's the sport's biggest attraction and has been for some time. Without Ronnie, the game would have been in dire straits.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Good job that we have Ronnie giving intelligent opinion like; "Power Snooker is the future of the sport" and "I'm going to create a breakaway tour with Higgins and the banned Chinese payers".

Ron has charisma in abundance, and intelligence by the bucketload but, like Eric Cantona before him, knows ‘the seagulls will follow the trawler’, and deliberately wrong foots them with nonsense. It’s a clever way of dealing with it.

(Although the Australian accent was a bit of a bungke rofl)

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:

Like him or not, but you have to admit Ronnie has been great for the popularity of the game. He's the sport's biggest attraction and has been for some time. Without Ronnie, the game would have been in dire straits.

Snooker would have gone the way of the dodo if it wasn't for Ronnie.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:

That is factual.

Postby SnookerFan

I never quite understand why people like Ronnie and not Judd. They both play an attacking style and talk cobblers. They seem quite similar in that respect. rofl

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:I never quite understand why people like Ronnie and not Judd. They both play an attacking style and talk cobblers. They seem quite similar in that respect. rofl

It is because Judd is a poor imitation. People much prefer the real thing.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:I never quite understand why people like Ronnie and not Judd. They both play an attacking style and talk cobblers. They seem quite similar in that respect. rofl

Especially when some have a complete meltdown when you dare criticse Ronnie in anyway.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:Can't we all just agree that they both act like fannies?

Well I admit that Judd sometimes says stupid things, I have called him out for it.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Can't we all just agree that they both act like fannies?

Well, they do - that’s for sure.

I just get the feeling Ron’s tongue is firmly in his cheek, whilst Judd goes home and shouts at himself in the mirror.

Postby Running side

Did nobody get my double entrondre. Acting like fannies, not to be sniffed at quote or are you just ignoring me.