Post a reply

Re: Virgo and Taylor last World Champs?

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:We will end up with Reanne Evans ffs

As long as it ain't Yates.

As much as Yates is a master of bellendery, you never get the sense he’s drowning. Maybe one day Reanne will have honed her broadcasting skills. She comes across as nervous. Which is pretty normal I guess, and not a personal criticism, but it doesn’t come across as something she’s put herself forwards for.

Postby SnookerFan

Yeah, Reanne does come across as nervous. Which is a shame, because she's quite likeable and it's not like she's talking bullocks or anything when on commentary. She just talks too fast at times, a sign of nerves.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, Reanne does come across as nervous. Which is a shame, because she's quite likeable and it's not like she's talking bullocks or anything when on commentary. She just talks too fast at times, a sign of nerves.

She should settle into it. Others have been similar in their first forays into broadcasting, but once they find their voice, they’re fine.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:
Iranu wrote:
cupotee wrote:Ian mcculloch’s knowledge and enthusiasm would be really good for the presentation , allan taylor i think would fit in well too , and more lisowski when he’s no longer in tournaments , there’s three that would add well to the mix.

I don’t think players should commentate or do punditry if they’re taking their snooker seriously. I did like Jack at the Worlds though. Maybe he could do more next year since it’s the end of the season anyway

Ronnie being the exception because he’s shown he can make it work. Look at Murphy’s results when he was doing commentary and punditry.

It's a good way for players to transition into retirement. I think Dominic Dale is excellent, very knowledgeable and certainly not dull.

Oh yeah totally. Murphy was about 35 when he did it. And he’d even said a year before on Snooker Scene that when you start doing punditry it’s a sign that you think you’re finished as a player!

If you’re in your career twilight that’s completely different.

Yea But Murphy was Playing Robertson he was 5-3 down over night then in the Morning he came out for the second session he went 10-6 down and in the afternoon he came out and did Punditry before the evening session where he lost 13-6. cant remember any player do that in the past or future while still involved in a match.

Postby orky

Virgo is a better commentator/analyser than Taylor but does need to keep in touch with knowledge of modern younger players. Taylor I'm sure is a lovely man however you can't take his commentating seriously. I wouldn't say he's annoying but he doesn't really bring any serious insight into the game when commentating. Still be sad to see him go as I've got a soft spot for him.

Postby LC

Watching old videos you can see that Virgo and Taylor where excellent summarisers and co commentators, but naturally over the years the cliches have crept in and they have become tired, saying that I don’t mind them and I always enjoyed it when it was Willie and Virgo together

Postby Prop

I’d like to think at least Virgo is still somewhat in demand. Imagine he joined Eurosport? Less Studd, less Yates (I’ve warmed to Yates but I realise many haven’t).

I mean, he’s not suddenly become useless. He’s a voice of snooker in the same way Steve Davis or Hendry are household names. ES should really be looking at this.

Postby 1892

Prop wrote:I’d like to think at least Virgo is still somewhat in demand. Imagine he joined Eurosport? Less Studd, less Yates (I’ve warmed to Yates but I realise many haven’t).

I mean, he’s not suddenly become useless. He’s a voice of snooker in the same way Steve Davis or Hendry are household names. ES should really be looking at this.

Would love that.

Then again, you could replace Studd with someone who is deaf and mute and it would be an improvement.

Postby Prop

1892 wrote:
Prop wrote:I’d like to think at least Virgo is still somewhat in demand. Imagine he joined Eurosport? Less Studd, less Yates (I’ve warmed to Yates but I realise many haven’t).

Would love that.

Then again, you could replace Studd with someone who is deaf and mute and it would be an improvement.

<laugh>

Postby Prop

badtemperedcyril wrote:In fairness to Yates, his knowledge of his subject is second to none. Maybe if he could plug himself into one of those voice enhancing devices then he might become almost tolerable.

Thing is, when he’s not in comms (on a podcast for example) he doesn’t try so hard to create those ridiculous puns, or use such hammy overemphasis. He’s quite tolerable. I used to really hate listening to him, but for whatever reason I don’t find him that nauseating these days. Stockholm Syndrome maybe <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

orky wrote:Virgo is a better commentator/analyser than Taylor but does need to keep in touch with knowledge of modern younger players. Taylor I'm sure is a lovely man however you can't take his commentating seriously. I wouldn't say he's annoying but he doesn't really bring any serious insight into the game when commentating. Still be sad to see him go as I've got a soft spot for him.

Both Taylor and Virgo I've actually enjoyed when I've seen them do exhibitions. So as personalities they can be entertaining. Also Dennis Taylor is on Richard Osman's House of Games all week. He'll probably be a good laugh on that.

Just neither of them seem to know about the modern game though, Virgo even implied that he shouldn't have to know about in the Metro comment on the original post. That's where they fall down.

Postby SnookerEd25

The_Abbott wrote:FYI - Dennis finished last place in House of Games. Not very bright this young lad from Northern Ireland.

No Golf questions then :sad:

Postby Raziel

Well, John Virgo and Dennis Taylor are both white males. So, according to CRT (Critical Race Theory) they are both THE DEVIL.

So, for the diversity quotas, they will definitely be replaced by at least one woman (Reanne Evans).

But now they are in trouble, because I don't know of any other female/black/african/indian/muslim etc potential replacements.

Maybe they will train up Rory McLeod or one of the Indian ex-professionals.

God forbid that they replace John or Dennis with another EVIL WHITE MALE.

Postby Iranu

Why can’t the white man catch a break? :-(

Let’s make a petition to demand that the BBC hire two white males to join:

Stephen Hendry
Steve Davis
John Parrott
Alan McManus
Joe Perry
Ken Doherty
Rob Walker

WHEN WILL THE WHITE MAN CATCH A BREAK?! :-(

Postby Juddernaut88

They should hire Nasser Hussain <ok> he is a great Cricket expert, he has that special unique voice when commentating and presenting. He is a former England captain from 1999-2003. Whether he knows anything about Snooker though I don't know.

Postby SnookerFan

Raziel wrote:Well, John Virgo and Dennis Taylor are both white males. So, according to CRT (Critical Race Theory) they are both THE DEVIL.

So, for the diversity quotas, they will definitely be replaced by at least one woman (Reanne Evans).

But now they are in trouble, because I don't know of any other female/black/african/indian/muslim etc potential replacements.

So you think that they're being fired for being caucasian and male, and being replaced Reanne Evans who already does commentary and punditry? Makes sense....

It could just be that neither of them know anything about the modern game, as stated.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:They should hire Nasser Hussain <ok> he is a great Cricket expert, he has that special unique voice when commentating and presenting. He is a former England captain from 1999-2003. Whether he knows anything about Snooker though I don't know.

Don’t go there. Eurosport had Matthew Syed on comms at one point, a former table-tennis player who likes to think he’s an authority on everything. It was pretty clear he knew little or nothing about professional snooker but that didn’t stop him.

It was not a salubrious experience :irk:

Postby lhpirnie

Raziel wrote:Well, John Virgo and Dennis Taylor are both white males. So, according to CRT (Critical Race Theory) they are both THE DEVIL.

Indeed, I do agree that they will be desperate to have Reanne Evans. As for non-white candidates, there are several Chinese players who do regular commentary for Rigour (Zhang Anda, Xiao Guodong, Tian Pengfei). Let's not forget that yet again no Chinese players have been interviewed so far this season. Surely it would make sense? But nodoubt the BBC would be terrified of all the criticisms they would get.