Post a reply

Re: Liang Sentenced For Assaulting a Woman

Postby Iranu

SnookerArcher wrote:
mick745 wrote:When people complain about our justice system i simply ask what other country's justice system would they rather live under? Although the UK's isnt perfect by any means (which is?) it is a damn sight better than lots of places.

It's also pathetically slow too so definitely nothing to cheer about, just like the NHS.

The NHS is well worth cheering and one of the UK’s best ever productions, if not THE best.

What’s not worth cheering is the Tory government’s constant budget reduction and handcuffing of the NHS.

Postby SnookerArcher

Iranu wrote:
SnookerArcher wrote:
mick745 wrote:When people complain about our justice system i simply ask what other country's justice system would they rather live under? Although the UK's isnt perfect by any means (which is?) it is a damn sight better than lots of places.

It's also pathetically slow too so definitely nothing to cheer about, just like the NHS.

The NHS is well worth cheering and one of the UK’s best ever productions, if not THE best.

What’s not worth cheering is the Tory government’s constant budget reduction and handcuffing of the NHS.

In principle at least yes. Not good if you got a society of people refusing healthcare & getting sick or dying due to money. Yes, one would have hoped after BoJo's near brush with death, saved by the NHS he'd be more generous with NHS funding... All fairness my dad recently did go to Whitechapel hospital and the service was garbage, won't go into it it will just annoy me lol.

London Transport certainly isn't one of the UK's best services and unfortunately I have used far better and more reasonably priced in numerous countries to say so.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Wildey wrote:Cant Believe some here actually trying to find a reason why a Man Assaulted a Woman Doesn't Matter if it was provocation, it was undefendable anyway. Assault can turn out Manslaughter and has many times with Domestic Abuse.

For the millionth time, nobody is trying to defend his actions or say it was ok, I'm trying to understand WHY he did it.

It was a domestic violence incident.

Are you happy now?

No. I need all the details. Was the woman his girlfriend ? Did she parakeet ? etc

Look, I'm not sure why any of this matters. A reporter has to give a fair and accurate report. If the BBC report seems one-sided, it's probably because Wenbo doesn't have much in his favour. If he had his reasons, it would have come out in court and would have been in the report.

Postby Minimum Break

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Wildey wrote:Cant Believe some here actually trying to find a reason why a Man Assaulted a Woman Doesn't Matter if it was provocation, it was undefendable anyway. Assault can turn out Manslaughter and has many times with Domestic Abuse.

For the millionth time, nobody is trying to defend his actions or say it was ok, I'm trying to understand WHY he did it.

Are you happy now?

No. I need all the details. Was the woman his girlfriend ? Did she parakeet ? etc

Look, I'm not sure why any of this matters. A reporter has to give a fair and accurate report. If the BBC report seems one-sided, it's probably because Wenbo doesn't have much in his favour. If he had his reasons, it would have come out in court and would have been in the report.

Correct. And quite right that the victim is not named as well.

Postby mick745

Cant have it both ways, more money for the NHS either means more taxation or equivalent funding cuts in other services.

The pandemic has already cost HUNDREDS of BILLIONS with furlough, roll out of vaccines and other measures. The war in Ukraine is sending prices sky high which will require more government in remedial measures.

Postby Iranu

mick745 wrote:Cant have it both ways, more money for the NHS either means more taxation or equivalent funding cuts in other services.

The pandemic has already cost HUNDREDS of BILLIONS with furlough, roll out of vaccines and other measures. The war in Ukraine is sending prices sky high which will require more government in remedial measures.

The Tories were gutting the NHS long before the pandemic.

Postby mick745

Iranu wrote:
mick745 wrote:Cant have it both ways, more money for the NHS either means more taxation or equivalent funding cuts in other services.

They have just put national insurance up 2.5% for extra NHS funding.

Every election Labour come along and say the NHS will be privatised under a Conservative government. And it hasnt been. But they'll still bang the same drum. Maybe that was one of the reasons they had their worst election result since the 1930s.

But perhaps the biggest proponent of bringing in private investment into the NHS in its history was Tony Blair.

Postby SnookerArcher

Iranu wrote:What does people refusing healthcare or dying due to money have to do with the NHS?

That's a non 'free' health system although the service is usually better with less overstretched demand, sounds great a free system but reality is that's long waiting times that does often affect health badly to the point some die, had they been in a system that charged money they'd not have waited as long (Assuming they could afford it), it's a balancing act (UK being so overpopulated is a big issue too plus to be frank a lot of people don't deserve the NHS, those who don't take care of themselves & cost the system far more than they give back)

mick745 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

They have just put national insurance up 2.5% for extra NHS funding.

Every election Labour come along and say the NHS will be privatised under a Conservative government. And it hasnt been. But they'll still bang the same drum. Maybe that was one of the reasons they had their worst election result since the 1930s.

But perhaps the biggest proponent of bringing in private investment into the NHS in its history was Tony Blair.

Definitely the NHS cuts made dealing with covid far more shambolic than if it had been a healthy system, simple answer is we're overpopulated whatever system you implement. That is why lots of governments haven't responded too efficiently with covid as it overwhelmingly affects & kills pensioners & people already in bad health. Had it primarily been a disease killing working age people and children it would be handled far more urgently.

I have a low opinion of either big party but there's little that will change it's always one or the either in charge.

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Minimum Break wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Are you happy now?

He pleaded guilty regardless of the circumstances. I'm sure his defence team would have used everything they had for their client, Liang may not be a big winner but he's made over a million in prize money & I'm sure some more from commercial interests, he was for a time China's 2nd top player so he'd have access to good lawyers.

Postby Prop

How anyone can make a serious case for the Tories in any sense right now is beyond me. They’re criminals.

Postby SteveJJ

Banned until 1st August. 4 month ban. Lucky for him that a lot of it is between seasons.

I make that he misses the Championship League and European Masters on top of the Worlds he already missed

Postby SnookerArcher

SteveJJ wrote:Banned until 1st August. 4 month ban. Lucky for him that a lot of it is between seasons.

I make that he misses the Championship League and European Masters on top of the Worlds he already missed

That's not much of a punishment with it coinciding with the offseason, it should be 4months during the season, doesn't seem right he gets a shorter ban for beating up a woman than the likes of Bingham for snooker betting, who got a 6month ban, I know betting is a serious offence sports wise but you'd think assault is a worse crime.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerArcher wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Banned until 1st August. 4 month ban. Lucky for him that a lot of it is between seasons.

That's not much of a punishment with it coinciding with the offseason, it should be 4months during the season, doesn't seem right he gets a shorter ban for beating up a woman than the likes of Bingham for snooker betting, who got a 6month ban, I know betting is a serious offence sports wise but you'd think assault is a worse crime.

Perhaps it is because the assault took place during the off season in which case the 'punishment' makes more sense? Kind of natural justice I suppose

An eye for an eye and a toof for a toof as me old mam used to say

Postby SnookerArcher

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerArcher wrote:

Perhaps it is because the assault took place during the off season in which case the 'punishment' makes more sense? Kind of natural justice I suppose

An eye for an eye and a toof for a toof as me old mam used to say

Still a bad image for snooker but yes some logic to that, like if you did a crime but it wasn't in the office or workspace so they punish you differently....

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:I hope Liang can redeem his tarnished reputation and the damage his actions did to the sport of snooker by winning a tournament this season.

I am hoping that's sarcasm.

Postby mick745

Every case has to be judged on its own merits. Liang has now been punished twice for the same crime, once by the courts and once by the sport's governing body.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:Every case has to be judged on its own merits. Liang has now been punished twice for the same crime, once by the courts and once by the sport's governing body.

Poor guy.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:I hope Liang can redeem his tarnished reputation and the damage his actions did to the sport of snooker by winning a tournament this season.

Not at all. What better way to apologise to that woman he beat up than to have shots of himself beamed across the world, holding the winner's cheque in one hand and the trophy aloft in the other?

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Not at all. What better way to apologise to that woman he beat up than to have shots of himself beamed across the world, holding the winner's cheque in one hand and the trophy aloft in the other?

Did you mean to log in to your Johnny Bravo alias?

Postby The_Abbott

Didn't Selt get a 4 month ban for words on social media?

Seems a light sentence but then Boris only got a fine of a fiver for partygate so probably about right in todays standards.

Postby SnookerArcher

SnookerFan wrote:I wonder what the reaction will be to Liang coming back.

Lots of boos surely, Ronnie got boos for the Masters which was after his walkout on the UK in 2006, Liang beating up a woman's much worse one would think....

Yeah the double standards of punishment...
I read a woman in Hackney was fined £15000 for a lockdown party in a garden where she hired a bouncing castle, the lords of the land get fined £50?! Should be like divorce settlements & bail, punishment is relative to your wealth cos the wealthy will just laugh at these petty fines.

Agreed Abbott doesn't seem right & Bingham got a 6month ban for match betting which to me is a far lesser crime than beating someone up. Law is messed up how people get punished harder for financial crimes or hacking than for rape.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerArcher wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I wonder what the reaction will be to Liang coming back.

Lots of boos surely, Ronnie got boos for the Masters which was after his walkout on the UK in 2006, Liang beating up a woman's much worse one would think....

Yeah the double standards of punishment...
I read a woman in Hackney was fined £15000 for a lockdown party in a garden where she hired a bouncing castle, the lords of the land get fined £50?! Should be like divorce settlements & bail, punishment is relative to your wealth cos the wealthy will just laugh at these petty fines.

Agreed Abbott doesn't seem right & Bingham got a 6month ban for match betting which to me is a far lesser crime than beating someone up. Law is messed up how people get punished harder for financial crimes or hacking than for rape.

I thought you didn't get into snooker till around 2012/2013? I remember watching most of The Masters in 2007 and I don't recall Ronnie getting booed.

Postby SteveJJ

Assuming there was not a punishment ceiling, it is interesting to compare it to bans of other offences. It doesn't come up well against them.

Are we still awaiting Milkins punishment? Wonder if he will have a ban or just a fine. If a ban and its similar to Liang's it would be ludicrous

Postby mick745

Prisons are for people considered a danger to society. The courts didnt deem Liang a danger to all women and imposed what they believed was an appropriate punishment for the circumstances of the case.