Post a reply

Re: Clive Everton steps down as editor

Postby Andre147

His contribution to the game will forever be remembered, him and Ted Lowe are for me the greatest commentators the game has seen. Hopefully his health doesn't deteriorate and he stays with us for a few more years.

Postby SteveJJ

Unlike a lot of commentators in many sports, Clive knew when to speak, when he could add to events and more importantly when to let the events speak for themselves. Many commentators speak for the sake of speaking, add nothing and even sometimes detract from the spectacle by doing so.

I always hoped Hendon, Yates or Nunns would take over Snooker Scene. But its a big undertaking and print media must be a loss making enterprise these days. A shame that our sport will lose its main/only print magazine of any stature.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:His contribution to the game will forever be remembered, him and Ted Lowe are for me the greatest commentators the game has seen. Hopefully his health doesn't deteriorate and he stays with us for a few more years.

Clive's contribution was far greater than a commentator He held the establishment to account, always asked the difficult Questions of the WPBSA He was a proper Journalist not the yes men there is today across most Newspapers.

Postby csprince

i spoke to clive everton on july 5th to renew my subscription for 12 months. i received the august issue and today the september issue.turns out mr everton hasn't taken my payment but sent the two issues anyway.

it says on page one world snooker were given an option to continue the magazine but chose not to.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I might apply for the job. Shake things up. Lot more nudity.

You got my vote.

I've hired Acé to head up the photo department.

I’d also recommend him as History Editor

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I might apply for the job. Shake things up. Lot more nudity.

You got my vote.

I've hired Acé to head up the photo department.

I’d also recommend him as History Editor

But he's already Northern Ireland correspondent.

Postby Satch4

https://wst.tv/snooker-scene-end-of-an-era/

Although I will be 85 this month, I was fully intending until very recently to continue to at least until the end of the season but conversations with doctors, accountants and colleagues have led me to conclude that this, our 619th issue, should be my last.

:sad:

It has had an impact on the politics of snooker because I wanted to keep the readership informed. Barry Hearn’s transformation of the sport might never have happened otherwise.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard Clive take credit for something and it's a biggie

Postby SnookerFan

Satch4 wrote:https://wst.tv/snooker-scene-end-of-an-era/

Although I will be 85 this month, I was fully intending until very recently to continue to at least until the end of the season but conversations with doctors, accountants and colleagues have led me to conclude that this, our 619th issue, should be my last.

:sad:

It has had an impact on the politics of snooker because I wanted to keep the readership informed. Barry Hearn’s transformation of the sport might never have happened otherwise.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard Clive take credit for something and it's a biggie

Clive always struck me as somebody who liked to stick it to the man, as it were.

I once got a Snooker Scene magazine and it had a tagline that was something like; "Exposing the lies and mistruths of World Snooker." (I'm paraphrasing because it was years ago, and I can't even come close to remembering the exact quote.)

There is a sense that sometimes, just sometimes, he may over imagine the importance of his rebellious nature.

But that's a quibble. Obviously his contribution, and knowledge, of professional snooker is immense. The latter, I'd say, unequalled.

Postby gmg

Sad news even though most readers will probably have sensed this was on the way. Ironically Clive's role in turning Snooker's fortunes around has probably contributed to the end of the magazine as Messrs Hendon, Yates and Nunns just don't have the time to take it over with their current hectic schedules.

Interesting to hear that circulation of Snooker Scene peaked in June 89. That may have been because Cue World had just folded but on the other hand Pot Black Magazine was in the ascendancy at the time so it's probably a good benchmark of when snooker was at its most popular in the UK.

Anyway, a massive thanks to Clive for all the joy he's given over the years. I always loved his commentary and the early B&H Yearbook's were gold to me as a kid too, sorta like the glossy Snooker Scene annual of the mid-80's. I'll also be eternally grateful to him for writing a very generous review of my own snooker book a few years ago. Happy retirement Clive, you absolutely deserve it.

Postby Raiel

I was not going to log into this forum any more because I have been continuously been accused of being a sock puppet account.

But I have changed my mind and I am logging in one last time to express my gratitude for the fantastic work Clive Everton had done for snooker (and billiards) for the last 50 years.

Thank you, Clive. You are a true legend.

Postby Johnny Bravo

The_Abbott wrote:This and Queen dead. What else can ruin this day?

Charles was probably waiting for ages for the queen to die. Now he can finally be king.

Postby HappyCamper

The mercury prize award ceremony has been postponed!

Raging. Liz wasn't even shortlisted!

Postby Pink Ball

HappyCamper wrote:

Think Black Country New Road's album might be the best ever not to pick up so much as a nomination. Would have been my pick to win. Shows what I know.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Charles was probably waiting for ages for the queen to die. Now he can finally be king.

rofl

Postby HappyCamper

Pink Ball wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

Think Black Country New Road's album might be the best ever not to pick up so much as a nomination. Would have been my pick to win. Shows what I know.

Not listened to it yet. But I caught their set at Connect Festival the other week and they were fantastic.