Post a reply

Re: R.O’Sullivan rules out ‘anyone alive’ matching his TC re

Postby TheRocket

Holden Chinaski wrote:He's right.

People sometimes say the BBC invented the Triple Crown term, but it's players like Ronnie, Higgins, Hendry, and Selby who keep talking about Triple Crown titles and how they set their goals to win those three every season.

yes true. Maybe in 20 or 30 years it will change if lets say the Tour Championship is still there and already became a permanent feature but right now as it is, the Triple Crown tournaments are the benchmark in greatness.

Postby Juddernaut88

Let's just say hypothetically speaking if a player like Yan Bintago or Zhao Xintong ended up winning 22 triple crown titles but only 1 of them was a world championship. Would I consider them as one of the most succesful player of all time based on that stat? nope.
World championships are the stats that matter!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Juddernaut88 wrote:Let's just say hypothetically speaking if a player like Yan Bintago or Zhao Xintong ended up winning 22 triple crown titles but only 1 of them was a world championship. Would I consider them as one of the most succesful player of all time based on that stat? nope.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wait a minute, you wouldn't call a player with 22 Triple Crown titles including one World Championship one of the most successful players? That's crazy. I agree the player would need a lot more World Titles to be considered one of the very best, but surely 22 Triple Crowns is very successful! Players would die for a record like that.

Postby lhpirnie

Holden Chinaski wrote:He's right.

People sometimes say the BBC invented the Triple Crown term, but it's players like Ronnie, Higgins, Hendry, and Selby who keep talking about Triple Crown titles and how they set their goals to win those three every season.

We obviously can't tell - Liam Davies or Stan Moody might do it! And there may be kids who haven't even started playing yet... Of the younger players currently on tour, Yan Bingtao or Zhao Xintong might end up with the most, but there are too many obstacles for overseas players to threaten longevity records, and there aren't any obvious British candidates.

If snooker goes into decline, then it could be possible for a player to win a lot of tournaments in a weak era. Let's not forget that John Pulman won 8 World Championships...

But as usual, it's yet another journalistic piece quoting Ronnie O'Sullivan, designed to get attention.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:If anyone breaks Ronnie’s TC record during my lifetime, I will put a daffodil up my bottom and streak during a live snooker match.

Yeah but with all your enemies and the way your liver’s going, that only gives them about four years.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:Sport is riddled with seemingly ‘insurmountable’ records being toppled.

Hell, Hendry’s TC wins looked unreachable just a few years ago.

I took an one of a kind player to break Hendrys records. But there isnt any special player out there to break Ronnies.

We talk about someone who has to go far beyond the Tier 2 level players (Higgins,Selby,Williams) to reach 21 TC titles. As things stand there isnt even someone out there who can reach Tier 2 level.

I dont expect the record to be broken in the next 50 years.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:
Iranu wrote:Sport is riddled with seemingly ‘insurmountable’ records being toppled.

Hell, Hendry’s TC wins looked unreachable just a few years ago.

I took an one of a kind player to break Hendrys records. But there isnt any special player out there to break Ronnies.

We talk about someone who has to go far beyond the Tier 2 level players (Higgins,Selby,Williams) to reach 21 TC titles. As things stand there isnt even someone out there who can reach Tier 2 level.

I dont expect the record to be broken in the next 50 years.

Yeah there’s definitely nobody on tour who looks like they can beat the new record.

(FWIW I do think Judd can reach Tier 2 but he’ll have to improve his TC performance, which I think he will.)

But 50 years is a very long time in sport. I’d be surprised if it’s not broken - or at least gotten very close to - by then.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Let's just say hypothetically speaking if a player like Yan Bintago or Zhao Xintong ended up winning 22 triple crown titles but only 1 of them was a world championship. Would I consider them as one of the most succesful player of all time based on that stat? nope.

rofl rofl