Post a reply

Re: Ten players banned over match-fixing allegations

Postby HappyCamper

Any chance? Sure. But would be a remarkable coincidence for enough people to do so independently and materially affect the market so as to be noticeable. The fact it's gone as far as a provisional suspension suggests there is some corroborating evidence.

King has a history of gambling addiction too.

Postby SteveJJ

LC wrote:Is there any chance it’s coincidence? Didn’t ebdon I think get investigated and nothing happened? So maybe a few ppl just fancied him to get smashed 4-0

What might have helped Ebdon was the game in question wasn't recorded. Alec Chamberlain was so upset about it that he drew up some of the shots he had concerns with. Plus it wasn't Ebdon playing badly, it was him playing abnormally badly if I recall the reports. What also might have helped was him being on the board at the time

Postby lhpirnie

LC wrote:Is there any chance it’s coincidence? Didn’t ebdon I think get investigated and nothing happened? So maybe a few ppl just fancied him to get smashed 4-0

Well, Mark King was interviewed this morning, upon turning up for his match. After the interview, he was suspended, but can appeal. If he'd been completely innocent, he will certainly appeal and make a statement soon.

Postby SteveJJ

Womble wrote:Still no news?

According to a Chinese link on twitter, Liang Wenbo was a no show and Lu Ning has had one of the charges dropped against him. Apparently the one around approaching another player to fix.

Meetings to reconvene this week to discuss and confirm penalties.

A report prior to the world championships said outcomes may not be made public until June, although that may not have been set in stone.

Postby Dan-cat

RunningSide wrote:If the reports are valid very sad day for snooker. Yan and Xintong massive future in snooker all thrown away.

Yeah, but maybe if there was coercion involved it will be looked on more leniently and they may get shorter bans and the time out already taken into consideration.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Yeah I read something. Apparently Yan and Xington have admitted to falsifying matches and gambling on snooker.

Falsifying matches!! You mean throwing games? Or manufacturing 10 - nil scorelines in a massive final? SMH

Those two are the most disappointing, because they were the ones having the most success.

I'd never condone match fixing, but you can at least understand somebody hard-up and struggling for money doing something they regret, especially if they had a family to feed or some such.

But these two had such a bright future ahead of them. They were both top-16ers. A shame.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
RunningSide wrote:If the reports are valid very sad day for snooker. Yan and Xintong massive future in snooker all thrown away.

Yeah, but maybe if there was coercion involved it will be looked on more leniently and they may get shorter bans and the time out already taken into consideration.

Even if that’s the case this will hang over them for the rest of whatever careers they have left.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Yeah I read something. Apparently Yan and Xington have admitted to falsifying matches and gambling on snooker.

Falsifying matches!! You mean throwing games? Or manufacturing 10 - nil scorelines in a massive final? SMH

Those two are the most disappointing, because they were the ones having the most success.

I'd never condone match fixing, but you can at least understand somebody hard-up and struggling for money doing something they regret, especially if they had a family to feed or some such.

But these two had such a bright future ahead of them. They were both top-16ers. A shame.

IF the reports are accurate, there will still be mitigating factors.

If they did do what's being claimed they did, they have to work out what level of coercion there was. If there was a high level of coercion, that would change the picture dramatically.

If there was no coercion or very little, their ages will be taken into consideration. Would go some way to explain how they were very stupid. Although it wouldn't change the fact they did behave stupidly.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:

they weren't always in the top 16, zhao had even fallen off the tour once in the past.

Postby Dan-cat

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

they weren't always in the top 16, zhao had even fallen off the tour once in the past.

And by the time he had success already in too deep? Maybe