Post a reply

Re: WST Announce Turkish Masters Replacement

Postby SteveJJ

SnookerFan wrote:Just noticed, it runs from a Thursday to a Wednesday.

Must be the only way they could've fitted it in.

Probably also when they could get a venue at short notice

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Just noticed, it runs from a Thursday to a Wednesday.

Must be the only way they could've fitted it in.

Probably also when they could get a venue at short notice

Yeah, that's sort of what I meant.

Postby LC

A copy and paste home nation tournament, some of the players might stop crying now but it’s a seriously underwhelming nothing tournament

Postby Iranu

LC wrote:A copy and paste home nation tournament, some of the players might stop crying now but it’s a seriously underwhelming nothing tournament

Honest question: what do you expect them to do at such short notice?

Postby D4P

LC wrote:A copy and paste home nation tournament, some of the players might stop crying now but it’s a seriously underwhelming nothing tournament

I don't necessarily disagree, but it's much better than some kind of Championship League event that seemed to be the most likely scenario...

Postby LC

Iranu wrote:

I agree there is little they could do to appease everyone on tour so have had to do a bog standard 128 tournament, still underwhelming tho

Postby Prop

LC wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I agree there is little they could do to appease everyone on tour so have had to do a bog standard 128 tournament, still underwhelming tho

I reckon managing to get this organised at such short notice will appease the vast majority of the tour, as well as the vast majority of fans. Let’s be honest, the way things have been going nobody could be blamed for assuming there’d be a big gap where the Turkish Masters was. Considering everything going on this is something to be optimistic about. I’m puzzled why anyone wouldn’t welcome this.

Postby SnookerFan

Jeez. What do people bucking want? It was a tournament arranged quickly as the planned one got cancelled.

At least it's a full ranker, and not some Championshit League. And it gives the lower ranked players an opportunity to play at a point in the season where they don't usually have one.

Postby SnookerEd25

In this social media age, some people just want to moan for the sake of moaning. One of our number might call it …

SCANDALIZED!!! :shock:

Postby SnookerEd25

McManusFan wrote:The only real problem I have with it, is that the final is best of 11. All else considered, it's great they've been able to put it together.

I can live with it, given the short notice they’ve had to put this together.

I’m one of the few who actually quite liked the PTCs; as ‘minor Rankers’, they were the only time (in my opinion) BO7s should be utilised - but I didn’t like the BO7 finals. Had they been BO11, the tournaments would have been near-perfect for what they were. Therefore, this does have the feel of an old PTC about it (much like the British Open does now) but is infinitely preferable to any more ‘Championship League’ nonsense.

I’m looking forward to it <ok>

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:The only real problem I have with it, is that the final is best of 11. All else considered, it's great they've been able to put it together.

I can live with it, given the short notice they’ve had to put this together.

I’m one of the few who actually quite liked the PTCs; as ‘minor Rankers’, they were the only time (in my opinion) BO7s should be utilised - but I didn’t like the BO7 finals. Had they been BO11, the tournaments would have been near-perfect for what they were. Therefore, this does have the feel of an old PTC about it (much like the British Open does now) but is infinitely preferable to any more ‘Championship League’ nonsense.

I’m looking forward to it <ok>

Plus the PTCs seemed to get snooker into different countries and in theory spread snooker’s popularity a bit wider.

Postby SnookerFan

Oh, is it?

I assumed it was exactly the same as the Home Nations.

A best of eleven final isn't great.

But still, better than nothing.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:Remember that time when the British Open was a best of eleven final on a Sunday evening, with no play in the afternoon?

<doh>

Yep it was careless at this level.