Post a reply

Re: Another Saudi tournament announced for August

Postby mantorok

Then, in August (31st-September 7th) in Riyadh, the inaugural Saudi Arabia Snooker Masters – spearheaded by the world’s leading players – takes place and officially becomes the sport’s ‘fourth major’ alongside the traditional Triple Crown events. A prize pot of over £2million will be at stake in what is the second richest event on the prestigious World Snooker Tour schedule in 2024.

The Saudi Arabia Snooker Masters will be a world ranking event open to all 128 tour players, plus six local wild cards from the Saudi Arabian Billiard & Snooker Federation.

https://www.wst.tv/news/2024/february/13/saudi-arabia-snooker-masters--new-ranking-event-announced-/
Last edited by mantorok on 13 Feb 2024, edited 1 time in total.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:Ah, yes. The fourth major.

what vacuous marketing piffle. the idea of three majors as it is in nonsense enough. to just declare a new one on the waving of a saudi cheque is risible.

Postby Iranu

I don’t really have a moral problem with Saudi Arabia tournaments - that ship sailed as soon as we got in bed with China, and tbh I think Saudi is just the “fashionable” country to be outraged at right now that doesn’t involve a war, like Qatar before the World Cup (where’s that outrage gone?)

It’s the flagrant arrogance in designating a tournament the “fourth” major, adding new balls and spitting in the face of existing tournaments. They can’t just bring the Champion of Champions to Saudi Arabia with an increased prize pot, no, they have to have their own Saudi Arabia Masters.

As much as anything else it’s just tacky as buck.

Postby SteveJJ

Iranu wrote:I don’t really have a moral problem with Saudi Arabia tournaments - that ship sailed as soon as we got in bed with China, and tbh I think Saudi is just the “fashionable” country to be outraged at right now that doesn’t involve a war, like Qatar before the World Cup (where’s that outrage gone?)

It’s the flagrant arrogance in designating a tournament the “fourth” major, adding new balls and spitting in the face of existing tournaments. They can’t just bring the Champion of Champions to Saudi Arabia with an increased prize pot, no, they have to have their own Saudi Arabia Masters.

As much as anything else it’s just tacky as buck.

Feel a little sorry for China, surely one of their tournaments should have been positioned as a fourth major based on history and longer investment in the game.

But money talks

Postby Prop

SteveJJ wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Is the Triple Crown nonsense disbanded?

BBC will be fuming...unless they get the broadcast rights

Good point. Imagine calling something the fourth major and having it hidden away on Discovery. It’s going to have to be done properly if they want people to take it seriously.

Postby McManusFan

I doubt the BBC will want to touch it. It'll be tucked away on Disco+ and all this 'fourth major' talk will disappear. Unless of course they do something exceptional with the format (multi-session matches etc)

Postby McManusFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:As long as they get rid of the ranking version of the championship league then I'm not overly fussed.

I'd rather they got rid of the non-ranking one. There's space for a proper league style event (with draws and groups), that would be something different.