Post a reply

Re: Ronnie's at it again

Postby Wildey

JIMO96 wrote:
Yeah but there's coming from behind to win triumphantly, in cavalier fashion, and then there's the Selby way. Applying pressure to your opponent by adopting crushingly depressing shot selections, may win Selby some titles (has already, in fact), but he'll never be fondly remembered for it.....there's no glory in consistently going beyond what is acceptable for a shot time. Compare this to the Paul Hunter approach when facing a deficit. Do you think there'll be a "Mark Selby Classic" in the future?

Doesn't Matter how you come back just come back and Win.

Naming it The Paul Hunter Classic had nothing to do with Pauls Style of play but he died young from a Bastard of a disease and was a Guy that Backed the Furth event from the Off.

Heaven Forbid anything Like that happens to Selby.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:"The bold has been added by me", well buck me I didn't realise that given you've quoted that exact thing about a million times to back up your opinion which you seem convinced is totally right even though you admit yourself you don't understand or appreciate matchplay.

To get it in context, that quote was written at the time he was struggling, the time I mentioned earlier when I got my timelines slightly mixed up; the time when he had people like you all over him on in the internet calling him boring and negative. He was talking about a phase of his career, not his overall game. That's the difference, there is nothing wrong with his game, he's a big match player like ranking semis and finals, that's when he brings his A game and that's the game that is a joy to watch.

The whole "playing not to lose instead of playing to win" was specifically around the time he'd just turned WN1 and is not a general rule and he's stopped doing it.

Sonny I think I do understand matchplay, and I do appreciate it. Matchplay isn't the same as negative play. Matchplay is positive without being reckless. Negative play is … negative and rarely works on the long term.
Yes he has stopped doing it - to an extend. I never said that Selby is negative all the time. But he is, at times, when he struggles or when he plays certain opponents.

Postby Roland

You never said he is negative all the time, but funnily enough whenever you mention him you also use the word "negative" all the time.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:You never said he is negative all the time, but funnily enough whenever you mention him you also use the word "negative" all the time.

That's because I usually do it in the context of discussions like this one with people like you denying that he is negative at times and in spells actually a lot of times - to his own admission - and you go against the opinion of other pros like Dott that you otherwise respect. You like him, fair enough, you like his style of play, no problem, but you should accept the facts.

Postby The Cueist

Wild WC wrote:Doesn't Matter if there's nobody like Ronnie.

its time we Move on hes 37 he cant go on forever Ronnie wont want to go on forever.

there's nobody today that compares to Alex Higgins he was just Electric other players will come and Go Snooker will remain.

Oh! you are so funny. ;-)

It does matter,There is know one that comes near to him,Luca who?

If he was thet good he would have titles by now.

Wrong comparisins pal. :no:

Postby Wildey

The Cueist wrote:
Wild WC wrote:Doesn't Matter if there's nobody like Ronnie.

its time we Move on hes 37 he cant go on forever Ronnie wont want to go on forever.

there's nobody today that compares to Alex Higgins he was just Electric other players will come and Go Snooker will remain.

Oh! you are so funny. ;-)

It does matter,There is know one that comes near to him,Luca who?

If he was thet good he would have titles by now.

Wrong comparisins pal. :no:

no it don't if snooker relies on one man which it doesn't then we are screwed.

Ronnie is closer to retiring than he is to turning pro so unless we start to concentrate elsewhere then snooker has no chance.

that's not to say Ronnie is yet set to retire but the game can and will be flourishing long after hes gone.

Ronnie wasn't in Germany and the Atmosphere for the Paul Hunter Classic was Electric People are Fickle and they soon Forget people whose not around.

Postby Roland

If Luca was that good he'd be winning titles now at the age of 17 ffs. Qualifying for the Crucible beating seasoned campaigners along the way such as Ian McCulloch, Barry Pinches, Michael Holt and Mark King doesn't mean he's any good at snooker!

<doh>

I just wish some of these Ronnie obsessives would concede that the game has plenty of exciting talent like Judd and Luca breaking through instead of sticking to the mantra that Ronnie saved snooker and is the only player worth watching.

By the way, I'm looking forward to watching Ronnie play at PTC 3 next week.

Postby Skullman

Luca's still 17. It's unlikely but he could win a title before he's 18. You can't write him off because he hasn't won a title yet, that's ridiculous.

Postby TheSaviour

Might be so, but something once again should be done in order to keep the interest. The Power Snooker was an interesting idea but it always was just too posh. If you know what I mean. The Shoot-Out just sees the lads to go do reveal it all for once and all. Can´t be that much great idea either. The game works with concept of patience, and that´s how it always should be.

So called yellow maximum is something which has highly interest me for some time now. Years ago I read that at least Alex Higgins once made during a practice match! Given how many normal maximums there just is going on, all the time, it can´t be the only a yellow one. To put it a very mildly lol. And given how many truly great mental strenght great players there currently is around. And given how many practice hours there just is. And so on. But my point is that making the "yellow maximum" there could be a bonus of perhaps even rewarding something really heavy.

Or then just receiving a hand ball after any given foul.

But the "yellow maximum" really "rewards" (it should reward...) the ones who can really see and keep the clear lines even when the cue ball really needs to travel.

Use both of those thumbs simultaneously and there´s your freedom.

I do understand his reasoning to withdraw from the Masters. Currently we realistically have Mark Selby, Ding Junhui, Ronnie O´Sullivan and Judd Trump to battle it out and to share it all. After that comes Mark Williams with his rock solid-contributions and John Higgins with his ever present "green" shot selections.

Ronnie O´Sullivan always prefers when there are more than that. Stuart Bingham usually is more than that, but currently he´s bit struggling. Too many "Smirnoffs" with Mark Allen.

What are the colours of the working class (currently)? YES, orange, yellow, green. They would wear those any way…… Great! A few neutral colours as well now available. They all can´t be working class people, but at least they would bull the people either way.

Ronnie O´Sullivan´s personality is too loose lol. Too relaxed. He also should have few those Smirnoffs with Mark Allen and Stuart Bingham, me thinks. But his attitude always is from superb to great. From superb to great. He always prefers the advantage of the whole sport of snooker, instead of his titles and winning percentages.

Fair play to Rod Lawler and to Mike. Just the PIIP is enough to them to call it as a profession! But I always need both of my thumbs, and really fastly so.