Post a reply

Re: Clive Everton Ronnie book

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:When Ronnie was only one three World Titles, I had Hendry ahead.

I think it's a lot closer now. The World Championships tally is pretty much the only thing that dictates it's Hendry. Most other stats say it's Ronnie. Apart from total rankers won, and even that's so close it doesn't really matter. Ronnie will win more anyway.

To be honest, I don't really see that it matters. The two best players of all time. The only real reason to decide on a best is fanboyism of one or the other. Which is why it tends to lead to such massive arguments.

Besides, greatness is a subjective term. Two players can be great for different reasons. Hendry was a greater continual winner, who popularised a certain style of play. Ronnie is the greatest natural talent. Both great for different reasons.

Good post. :hatoff:

Postby Dan-cat

Who pinched my frame??

Seeing as this is a pure Ronnie love in (apart from Alex0) here are two joyous Ronnie steals from the 2016 Masters. I was at the Selby match. It was electrifying. The first frame against Bingo he needed a snooker and the last three reds with blacks. The way he took the three reds and laid the snooker was pure textbook. Check the black from the green spot in the middle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfP19G82_Vg

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:Who pinched my frame??

Seeing as this is a pure Ronnie love in (apart from Alex0) here are two joyous Ronnie steals from the 2016 Masters. I was at the Selby match. It was electrifying. The first frame against Bingo he needed a snooker and the last three reds with blacks. The way he took the three reds and laid the snooker was pure textbook. Check the black from the green spot in the middle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfP19G82_Vg

Superb.

Thanks DC

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:Just ordered on Amazon. Can't wait!

I will too mate. Mine will be a little bit more expensive due to shipping abroad, but it wont be much more.

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:

I will too mate. Mine will be a little bit more expensive due to shipping abroad, but it wont be much more.

I’ll read and then send to you mate if you like :-D

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I’ll read and then send to you mate if you like :-D

I appreciate it, really do, but I prefer to buy it and keep it for myself. But many thanks.

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:I appreciate it, really do, but I prefer to buy it and keep it for myself. But many thanks.

Totally understand. I want to keep it on my shelf too, next to Clive's Black Farce and Cueball Wizards which is an essential book for anyone with more than a passing interest in the game. It sits pride of place next to a first edition of Joe Davis' How I Play Snooker. Or The Bible, as the Nugget calls it.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Dan-cat wrote:This book is absolutely brilliant. Clive - never one to mince his words. It's not a fluff piece by any means. It's warts and all. He is a proper journalist.

Sounds tops. I'm looking out for it.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Dan-cat wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simply-Best-Biography-Ronnie-OSullivan/dp/1785314440/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1539873230&sr=8-1

I was gonna offer to post you mine Chalky but have decided to keep it on the shelf :-D

Ive a mini library at home myself so i'll add it to collection. I've often read books a second and third time with years in between. A good book beats a film all day long.

Postby vodkadiet

Dan-cat wrote:Clive has spoken. Put that in your pipe Vodka.

rofl rofl rofl

Clive is having a lot of 'senior' moments these days. Bless the old boy!

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:

rofl rofl rofl

You do realize that his opinion is more valuable than yours, right ?! :chin: :chuckle:

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:

rofl rofl rofl

He's learning from Dennis Taylor haha rofl

But joking... if Clive thinks that, who are we to blame him...

Postby vodkadiet

Johnny Bravo wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

rofl rofl rofl

You do realize that his opinion is more valuable than yours, right ?! :chin: :chuckle:

You are entitled to your wrong opinion.

By the way, record books outweigh all the opinion in the world.

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

rofl rofl rofl

Record books don't outweigh anything. The Davis brothers and John Pullman are not better than the likes of Ding, Robbo, Higgo, etc, despite the fact that they have a hell of a lot more world titles.

Postby vodkadiet

Johnny Bravo wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

rofl rofl rofl

Record books don't outweigh anything. The Davis brothers and John Pullman are not better than the likes of Ding, Robbo, Higgo, etc, despite the fact that they have a hell of a lot more world titles.

You sound like one of these bonehead Brexiteers who just keep screaming "Leave means leave!"

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:You may not agree with Vodka's opinion but it is a valid one. The statistics do indicate that Hendry had a better career than O'Sullivan or anybody else.

In a way Hendry did. But career achievements should be evaluated by taking into account the era one's played in and the opposition he faced.
Second of all, career achievements are just a factor in assesing greatness. You also have to look at peak form, longevity and impact on the game.

Postby Alex0paul

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:You may not agree with Vodka's opinion but it is a valid one. The statistics do indicate that Hendry had a better career than O'Sullivan or anybody else.

In a way Hendry did. But career achievements should be evaluated by taking into account the era one's played in and the opposition he faced.
Second of all, career achievements are just a factor in assesing greatness. You also have to look at peak form, longevity and impact on the game.

Yea it’s a tough era facing Mark Davis in semi finals