Post a reply

Re: ROS proposes breakaway tour

Postby sas6789

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I'd definitely take Ronnies career over Hendrys career. Particularly as Hendry had a very poor and painful span of 10 years before he finally retired in 2012.

Ronnie on the other hand has been playing at a high level for more than 25 years. A quarter of a century. This is quite insane.

The only thing missing from Ronnies point of view are another 1-2 world titles. From ROS point of view that would be biggest dissapointment should his last world title really came in 2013.

Me too. Ronnie's over Hendry's all day long. Much longer time at the top, still winning tournaments. Hendry had 10 very good years and that was it.

You saying Hendry's career was no good then?

Postby Andre147

sas6789 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I'd definitely take Ronnies career over Hendrys career. Particularly as Hendry had a very poor and painful span of 10 years before he finally retired in 2012.

Ronnie on the other hand has been playing at a high level for more than 25 years. A quarter of a century. This is quite insane.

The only thing missing from Ronnies point of view are another 1-2 world titles. From ROS point of view that would be biggest dissapointment should his last world title really came in 2013.

Me too. Ronnie's over Hendry's all day long. Much longer time at the top, still winning tournaments. Hendry had 10 very good years and that was it.

You saying Hendry's career was no good then?

It was great, but as a fan I'd rather be a ROS fan... 26 years and counting winning titles...

Postby SteveJJ

Snooker89 wrote:Apologies if this has already been mentioned but why not give all tour players a vote on whether they want a flat 128 draw or Tiered system?

Or a mix of the two

Postby OoNebsoO

Snooker89 wrote:Apologies if this has already been mentioned but why not give all tour players a vote on whether they want a flat 128 draw or Tiered system?

Next they'll want the vote on allowing sneakers.

Postby gallantrabbit

I'm sure players can vota on many things. If 100 players turn up to a meeting Barry Hearn would have to listen? Has O'sullivan ever been to a meeting? Doubt it. Does he think it's beneath him? Probably? Does he have the other players' interests at heart including the 'numpties'? Kinda doubt it? Is John Higgins in league with him?? :santa:

Postby gallantrabbit

It doesn't. O'sullivan is delighted about winning a seventh UK but is next off to play a glorified exhibition against a 5 year retired Stephen Hendry with the yips...

Postby Badsnookerplayer

gallantrabbit wrote:It doesn't. O'sullivan is delighted about winning a seventh UK but is next off to play a glorified exhibition against a 5 year retired Stephen Hendry with the yips...

Oh no!

But what about all of the other players who agreed with the idea?

Maybe they can make it happen?

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan has a point about taking the best results of a designated amount of events and using this to calculate a player's ranking.

I would suggest taking a player's best 25 events. I would also say a player should be punished if he doesn't play at least 15 events a season. Let's say, they should be banned from playing in The World Championships.

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan has a point about taking the best results of a designated amount of events and using this to calculate a player's ranking.

I would suggest taking a player's best 25 events. I would also say a player should be punished if he doesn't play at least 15 events a season. Let's say, they should be banned from playing in The World Championships.

25 is way too much. 10 is more than enough.

Postby mick745

In golf (Sorry!) the number of ranking points available in a tournament is worked out by who has entered, so the more higher ranked players there are the more ranking points are available.

Would something like that work
?

Also in tennis the grand slams have a flat 128 draw, the top 32 are seeded with all the others randomly drawn, so Federer et al are not exempted.

Postby Dan-cat

Johnny Bravo wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan has a point about taking the best results of a designated amount of events and using this to calculate a player's ranking.

25 is way too much. 10 is more than enough.

Lolz. Stop taking him seriously! :-D

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

mick745 wrote:In golf (Sorry!) the number of ranking points available in a tournament is worked out by who has entered, so the more higher ranked players there are the more ranking points are available.

Would something like that work
?

It could work but Snooker has only had rolling rankings since 2010, I can't see them getting their heads around something that complicated. I think Golf also has one eight of the points from a tournament go after three months meaning two years later it's all gone. And that's in a sport with about 20 different tours and hundreds of ranked events every year.

Postby Ash147

Dan-cat wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Is Vodka a worse troll than The Saviour?

The Saviour is the gentleman's spammer.

:goodpost:

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:John Higgins definitely sounds up for the idea of Ronnie's breakaway tour. Have a listen to his latest interview with Eurosport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKAiQK5Z7c

Its called the senirs tour just join that and stop bollocksing about its not going to happen hearn holds all the cards.

Reason Darts had a breakaway tour was there was hardly any tournaments now these 40 plus players wants to be part timers its called retiring and play for fun

Postby Ash147

Wildey wrote:
Ash147 wrote:John Higgins definitely sounds up for the idea of Ronnie's breakaway tour. Have a listen to his latest interview with Eurosport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKAiQK5Z7c

Its called the senirs tour just join that and stop bollocksing about its not going to happen hearn holds all the cards.

Reason Darts had a breakaway tour was there was hardly any tournaments now these 40 plus players wants to be part timers its called retiring and play for fun

I don't see a problem with some of the top players setting up their own mini tour on the side. Then they can play in the big events of the main tour, and have a few events with the top guys in between.

Postby Andre147

Wild does have a point...

I wouldn't be surprised if this breakaway tour did happen, it was mostly of 40+ players....

Postby Wildey

No TV Brodcasters can get on board Hearn has that sawn up tight. Not even the pink ribbon could be streamed without World Snooker approval. Without TV its a no go for sponsors. Its a pipe dream from lazy players in the twilight of their careers.

Postby Ash147

Wildey wrote:No TV Brodcasters can get on board Hearn has that sawn up tight. Not even the pink ribbon could be streamed without World Snooker approval. Without TV its a no go for sponsors. Its a pipe dream from lazy players in the twilight of their careers.

If think there would be a lot of interest in something like this, as it could make someone a lot of money. Lots of people would pay to see the best players, especially people like Ronnie and Higgins. I think we can all agree that most of the best ever matches have been played by the top guys.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Wild is right. There may well be interest but no TV unless the players give up their tour cards. O'Sullivan's concern for the lower ranked players will evaporate now he is in the ITV events.

Postby Wildey

Ash147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:No TV Brodcasters can get on board Hearn has that sawn up tight. Not even the pink ribbon could be streamed without World Snooker approval. Without TV its a no go for sponsors. Its a pipe dream from lazy players in the twilight of their careers.

If think there would be a lot of interest in something like this, as it could make someone a lot of money. Lots of people would pay to see the best players, especially people like Ronnie and Higgins. I think we can all agree that most of the best ever matches have been played by the top guys.

I wouldn't pay 1p to watch players take snooker back words like they would if this happened. Player power screwed up snooker in the first place and ROS and Higgins was at the forefront of that cockerel up.

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Wild is right. There may well be interest but no TV unless the players give up their tour cards. O'Sullivan's concern for the lower ranked players will evaporate now he is in the ITV events.

He may have made good points, especially when someone has just won an event and has to play anothet match the following day or 2 days after... but I agree that now that he's almost certain to be in all ITV events, he wont care about the other players... he did have selfish reasons in some of his comments. But, like I said, at the same time he also raised interesting points worth of discussion.

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan only cares about one thing and one thing only; Ronnie O'Sullivan.

He is the 'Boris Johnson' of the baize.

Postby Ash147

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan only cares about one thing and one thing only; Ronnie O'Sullivan.

He is the 'Boris Johnson' of the baize.

Ronnie can undoubtedly be selfish, but he’s done more for other people than you could dream of. Now buck off back to killing innocent plants.