Post a reply

Re: Bazza's annual press conference

Postby Godot

OoNebsoO wrote:Per seasons (just several recent ones)...

2018-19 12 so far
2017-18 8
2016-17 13
2015-16 4
2014-15 9
2013-14 8

From the World Snooker website:

This replaces the previous ‘rolling prize’ system

So World Snooker basically just wanted to save themselves approx 50 grand a season then.

Postby Lemnas

Dan-cat wrote:- Betfred signs on for two more years
- Tiered qualification system for the Worlds (including 16 worldwide wildcards who will play the lowest ranked)
- if more than 20 147s then a 1 million pot gets shared
- Jimmy White wildcard for two years

- Q School provides 4 more places this year using the order of merit
- Asian event of Q School next year
- 180k more for the worlds next year
- Real punishments for slow play and too much breaks between frames are kicking in but no details yet

Postby eraserhead

Godot wrote:

2018-19 12 so far
2017-18 8
2016-17 13
2015-16 4
2014-15 9
2013-14 8

So World Snooker basically just wanted to save themselves approx 50 grand a season then.

Shitty move if that’s the case. :td:

Postby Andre147

eraserhead wrote:
Godot wrote:

2018-19 12 so far
2017-18 8
2016-17 13
2015-16 4
2014-15 9
2013-14 8

It's like the 1 million for the Home Nations... they know it's highly unlikely it will be done.

I'd say the 20 147s are more likely, but still a very long shot.

Postby Lemnas

Andre147 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Still no 19/20 calendar

Monday it will be revealed.

My prediction is one new tournament in a different region of the world with decent prize money and Hearn will act like snooker is about to overtake football.

Postby eraserhead

Andre147 wrote:It's like the 1 million for the Home Nations... they know it's highly unlikely it will be done.

I'd say the 20 147s are more likely, but still a very long shot.

Home nations is a PR move but it isn’t taking anything away. Having a prize for a max can actually help someone lower down the rankings.

Postby Godot

eraserhead wrote:
Godot wrote:

2018-19 12 so far
2017-18 8
2016-17 13
2015-16 4
2014-15 9
2013-14 8

Just read they're including non ranking events like the Masters and the Championship League, but even then it's a huge stretch.

Postby eraserhead

I’d love for a group of players to make it their mission in the championship league.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The Championshit League is exactly the tournament for this

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:If someone has already hit a 147 and is 5-0 up in a best of 11 he could smash the pack open to leave his opponent an easy maximum.

Postby SnookerFan

Godot wrote:

2018-19 12 so far
2017-18 8
2016-17 13
2015-16 4
2014-15 9
2013-14 8

Yes.

Postby Ronnie79

Lemnas wrote:
- Tiered qualification system for the Worlds (including 16 worldwide wildcards who will play the lowest ranked)

- Real punishments for slow play and too much breaks between frames are kicking in but no details yet

I watched the press conference online I saw no mention of an Asian QSchool so where did you hear about it ?.

Postby D4P

If the new 147 prize scheme is in place for awhile, it seems very likely that Ronnie will make another "protest 146" or some such thing at some point in the near future.

Ronnie's comments are exactly right: If a player is not guaranteed any extra money for a 147, then there will be less incentive to risk taking on a potential frame-losing shot to keep a maxi going, which means that this new scheme might very well result in fewer maximums. Thanks, Barry.

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:If the new 147 prize scheme is in place for awhile, it seems very likely that Ronnie will make another "protest 146" or some such thing at some point in the near future.

Ronnie's comments are exactly right: If a player is not guaranteed any extra money for a 147, then there will be less incentive to risk taking on a potential frame-losing shot to keep a maxi going, which means that this new scheme might very well result in fewer maximums. Thanks, Barry.

It does seem an odd one.

You get no prize money unless it happens 19 other times a tournament.

Ronnie should try to get the 20 by himself.

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:Ronnie should try to get the 20 by himself.

That would be the ultimate troll. Ronnie could just give up on the idea of winning events and just try for maxis in every single frame, as a way to make Barry have to fork over the dough...

Postby Andre147

Not offering a prize for making a 147 unless 20 are made does seem silly to me... I can also see Ronnie making a few more 146s and protest against the whole thing.

Postby The_Abbott

So what is this punishment for slow play now? They will put their name up on a chalkboard or something that won't make a difference?

Deducting money is the best motive to speed people up but they have to be careful because any player can play slow if they are in constant difficult snookers.

Postby Dan-cat

The_Abbott wrote:So what is this punishment for slow play now? They will put their name up on a chalkboard or something that won't make a difference?

Deducting money is the best motive to speed people up but they have to be careful because any player can play slow if they are in constant difficult snookers.

Six of the best.

Postby Cloud Strife

What happened to all the potential events in USA, Russia, Japan and France that Hearn was looking into? Where were all the game-changing announcements?

Instead we get some crap about a 147 prize which even Superman couldn't win.

Postby Lemnas

Ronnie79 wrote:
Lemnas wrote:

I watched the press conference online I saw no mention of an Asian QSchool so where did you hear about it ?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl8xD1EKnSM
At about 16:35

Postby Dan-cat

Cloud Strife wrote:What happened to all the potential events in USA, Russia, Japan and France that Hearn was looking into? Where were all the game-changing announcements?

Well I'd say this season has been pretty brilliant, the different formats, long and short match tournaments. I'm glad there aren't major changes.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:So what is this punishment for slow play now? They will put their name up on a chalkboard or something that won't make a difference?

Hearn murders them.

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:What happened to all the potential events in USA, Russia, Japan and France that Hearn was looking into? Where were all the game-changing announcements?

Well I'd say this season has been pretty brilliant, the different formats, long and short match tournaments. I'm glad there aren't major changes.

Fair enough. As you were then. <ok>

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Until more players from different parts of the world break through I wouldn't be fussed about having tournaments in new locations. Apart from Brazil which I thought could have done alright if managed better.

Postby Erza Scarlet

This 147 rule is just a marketing gimmick and no one will ever make 20 147s. If they are prepared to share a £1 million pot for 20 147s (£50k for a 147) then why not just offer the money for a single 147?

I would offer £25k for a 147 and £50k for a 147 made at a Triple Crown event.