Post a reply

Re: Hearn speaks about Saudi

Postby Ash147

vodkadiet1 wrote:Any player with principles would boycott this event,

Please refrain from espousing your blatant Islamophobia.

Postby Iranu

Surprised to see Wilson displaying such a mercenary, amoral attitude.

Postby vodkadiet1

Iranu wrote:Surprised to see Wilson displaying such a mercenary, amoral attitude.

No doubt he is a Tory.

Postby Alex0paul

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:Surprised to see Wilson displaying such a mercenary, amoral attitude.

Which one?

Cliff

Postby LC

Wilson saying he doesn’t get involved in politics, when do you get involved with politics? A what point does it become unacceptable to basically endorse a country by turning up to play sport?

Postby donthittheblue

Ash147 wrote:

Since when was not thinking people should live in dictatorships islamophobia. That's some leap your making here....

Postby Cloud Strife

donthittheblue wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

Since when was not thinking people should live in dictatorships islamophobia. That's some leap your making here....

He was being sarcastic...

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:Players aren't actually obliged to enter any tournament, are they?

So, no change there then.

If they award 'ranking points' then some players could drop off the tour if they don't play in it, potentially ending their career. Others could miss out on the Crucible.

Postby Sauce321

What's not suitable for you is maybe ok for other people.

Some people could think EU countries or China doesn't match their moral values.

This ain't mathematics... everyone has his own opinion.

Wilson is a snooker player, with a family to feed. Just because you don't like a country means you will miss the opportunity to win life changing money?

PS: And if you think Saudi Arabia is a bad country, according to EU standarts, do you really think a boycott will help them change their politics ? LOL. Quite the contrary.

Postby Iranu

Sauce321 wrote:

Wilson is a snooker player, with a family to feed. Just because you don't like a country means you will miss the opportunity to win life changing money?

PS: And if you think Saudi Arabia is a bad country, according to EU standarts, do you really think a boycott will help them change their politics ? LOL. Quite the contrary.

Except some things are empirically morally wrong, e.g. the human rights violations of Saudi Arabia. The same could well go for China as you say.

Kyren is earning more than enough to forgo this event. Even if he does think what you say, I’d respect him a lot more if he came out and said, “I disagree with a lot of what they do but I have to put my family first,” rather than just saying he’s not getting involved in it. And by the way that’s the exact attitude that SA is taking advantage of - throwing money at sport to convince top stars to essentially endorse their country and distract from their political and social atrocities.

There’s a huge difference between thinking women shouldn’t wear short clothes and thinking women should be thrown in detention centres for speaking to a man other than their husband, for example.

And yes, I believe a worldwide boycott of Saudi Arabia in the sporting community might at least influence the country to change some things.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Saudi Arabia hosts sporting events to show a positive image of itself internationally. Talking part in this is promoting the Government there. It was/is the same with Apartheid South Africa and Israel. Tournaments in a place like China don't serve the same purpose.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:What's the time difference between Saudi Arabia and the UK?

They’re about 500 years in the past.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:

:spot on:

Postby Sauce321

Iranu wrote:
Sauce321 wrote:

Except some things are empirically morally wrong, e.g. the human rights violations of Saudi Arabia. The same could well go for China as you say.

Kyren is earning more than enough to forgo this event. Even if he does think what you say, I’d respect him a lot more if he came out and said, “I disagree with a lot of what they do but I have to put my family first,” rather than just saying he’s not getting involved in it. And by the way that’s the exact attitude that SA is taking advantage of - throwing money at sport to convince top stars to essentially endorse their country and distract from their political and social atrocities.

There’s a huge difference between thinking women shouldn’t wear short clothes and thinking women should be thrown in detention centres for speaking to a man other than their husband, for example.

And yes, I believe a worldwide boycott of Saudi Arabia in the sporting community might at least influence the country to change some things.

In my country, Switzerland, same in France, you can be sent 1 year in jail for challenging the outcome of the Nuremberg's trial.

Human rights are variable geometry.

Each country has its rules/values.

You can boycott or dislike countries for their rules, but blaming players for not boycotting an event is absolutely ridiculous.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:

So, we'll still have Dennis Taylor telling his John Spencer anecdote.

Postby Cloud Strife

I agree with Saucy.

Kyren is free to play wherever he wishes to. He does not have to justify to himself to anyone about the choices he makes.

Postby LC

So basically as long as there’s tons of money to be made, what that country gets up is no concern to sports people?

Postby Andre147

LC wrote:So basically as long as there’s tons of money to be made, what that country gets up is no concern to sports people?

Pretty much.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

It was often said in the late 00's when Snooker was struggling that the players weren't interested in the politics of the game and just wanted to play. If they couldn't be bothered to care about something that directly affected their own livelihood then I wouldn't expect them to pay much notice to this.

Postby Sauce321

Option 1 : You stay away from politics.
Option 2 : You spend your life frustrated, arguing on the Internet about politics.
Option 3 : You get involved in politics for real, and try to make your wish happen.

I think there are 2 decent options, and neither of them better than the other.