Post a reply

Strangest Cue Action

Postby Lou147

Saw a post on here recently mentioning Joe Swail's odd cue action and it got me thinking, whats the weirdest you've seen from a player who has had reasonable success or played to a high level?

Trump is obviously the one that springs to mind, Dave Harold and Selby as well. Any others?

Re: Strangest Cue Action

Postby Iranu

Is there a better answer than Alex Higgins?

Postby McManusFan

Certainly not as strange as those already mentioned, but Alan McManus is known for lifting his body up off the cue before the strike. Also there's the famous Selby head wobble.

Postby rekoons

I noticed Nigel bond also has Some kind of tic when finishing the shot. Gary wilson’s stance is also weird.

Postby lhpirnie

There are many players with strange techniques. The most unusual at the moment are probably Sunny Akani and Fan Zhengyi. Also, I'd say Ronnie's cue action is pretty unusual, but it seems to work for him!

Postby SnookerEd25

For the old-timers out there, Graham Miles.

Postby Sauce321

"The people in the game know my World Championship win was not a fluke," he told BBC Sport. "You will always have haters, even with winning this."

That would have been a very long fluke...

Postby Johnny Bravo

McManusFan wrote: Also there's the famous Selby head wobble.

Many players learn/have learned to play in pubs and not with a coach since they were kids, therefore they don't have the right fundamentals. But given hours upon hours of practice and with talent, they can be successful.
However, for those players with a weird cue action, the problem lies in the delivery of the cue and the way their arm moves.
Sometimes I apply unintentional side, move on the shot, or my arm twitches a bit. However, Selby is the strangest example ever. Why the buck he moves his head I can't possibly understand. Has he ever been asked about it or did he mention it in an interview ?!?