Post a reply

Re: Stephen Hendry coming out of retirement?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Sickpotter wrote: The thing about these guys is they still have the ability/game, they just lack the confidence.

No they do not, at least not to the level they used to play to.

Sickpotter wrote:If Sight Right fixes Hendrys confidence/yips issue and he starts enjoying the game again look out. :mosh2

If he ever decides to come back, he'll just make a fool of himself and be the laughing stock of the snooker world.
He's not even good enough to be a top 32 player anymore. He's 51 years old, for crying out loud.

Postby SnookerEd25

Funny that - over the last three days i've been watching John Higgins v Steve Davis from the 2010 World Champs on YouTube, all 8 and a half hours of it (a session a day) and Steve played some of his best ever snooker to oust the defending champ 13-11.

Steve was 52

:bowdown:

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerEd25 wrote:Funny that - over the last three days i've been watching John Higgins v Steve Davis from the 2010 World Champs on YouTube, all 8 and a half hours of it (a session a day) and Steve played some of his best ever snooker to oust the defending champ 13-11.

Steve was 52

Yea, but that match took place under special circumstances. The news about Higgins agreeing to parakeet had just came out, so his mind was far more preocupied with that than the actual match.
Plus it's just one match, so it's hardly relevant. He didn't do much for the rest of the season as far as I can remember. Also, due to his style of play, Davis was far more likely to be more successful at an old age.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Funny that - over the last three days i've been watching John Higgins v Steve Davis from the 2010 World Champs on YouTube, all 8 and a half hours of it (a session a day) and Steve played some of his best ever snooker to oust the defending champ 13-11.

Steve was 52

Yea, but that match took place under special circumstances. The news about Higgins agreeing to parakeet had just came out, so his mind was far more preocupied with that than the actual match.
Plus it's just one match, so it's hardly relevant. He didn't do much for the rest of the season as far as I can remember. Also, due to his style of play, Davis was far more likely to be more successful at an old age.

The news had not come out. He had not even been to Kiev by then. At least not for that infamous meeting.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Steve was 52

The news had not come out. He had not even been to Kiev by then. At least not for that infamous meeting.

This.

Lame excuse. Blaming something that hadn't even happened, let alone come out. It was announced during The Crucible final.

Postby LC

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Steve was 52

The news of the world put the video out of him during the final that year, so Higgins went to Kiev pretty much straight after that defeat? The red he misses to middle in the last frame doesn’t look great either adding to the rumours

Postby SnookerFan

LC wrote:The news of the world put the video out of him during the final that year, so Higgins went to Kiev pretty much straight after that defeat? The red he misses to middle in the last frame doesn’t look great either adding to the rumours

Yes. That's exactly what happened.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:I play acoustic fingerstyle guitar. I play a lot of songs that I've learned a long time ago and I play them without thinking about the structure of the songs or what my fingers are doing. In fingerstyle guitar, the right hand is often doing complicated things. The thumb is playing a bass line pattern while the fingers are playing melody patterns. Sometimes a friend who also plays asks me to show him a certain pattern. Sometimes it happens that I break down a fingering pattern that I've been playing for years without effort, and because I break it down for him I'm thinking about it too much and now I forgot how I played it and I need to learn it again myself! This has happened to me a couple of times.

I think this might be a little similar to the yips. When you think about something you've been doing for years with the help of muscle memory, sometimes the thinking makes you change the way you did it before..

Yea spot on.

Hendry was a complete natural it took him only 4 years from the time he first played on 6 ft table to win his first ranking event he's never been taught or coached his problems started when coaches started to dissect his game from Frank Callen to Chris Henry and Terry Griffiths he should have left all that alone at that time.

Postby HappyCamper

hendry plans to actually play! at the welsh open and the new pro series.

Stephen Hendry says he will “probably” make his sensational return to professional snooker next month.

The seven-times world champion revealed he was looking at February’s Welsh Open as a possible tournament for which to mark his dramatic comeback into the sport.

The news was revealed when Hendry joined Eurosport snooker presenter Andy Goldstein in a live Instagram chat on Wednesday afternoon from his home.

The Welsh Open – one of snooker’s most established ranking events – is due to start on February 15 at a venue to be confirmed.

When asked by a fan when ‘Crucible King’ Hendry was planning to make a comeback, the snooker legend said: “Probably the Welsh Open.”

Hendry also said he was looking at playing the new Pro Series event in March, which World Snooker Tour announced at the end of 2020.

Last year Hendry took the snooker world by storm when he announced he would be coming out of retirement following an impressive semi-final run in the World Seniors Championship in August.

Since then Hendry has been working closely with SightRight coach Stephen Feeney – a man who has coached recent world champions Stuart Bingham, Mark Williams and Ronnie O’Sullivan – to get his game back to a top standard.

However despite the headline announcement, Hendry has not yet featured in the 2020/21 snooker season.

He was planning a return for the UK Championship but announced a delay to his comeback in November because he wanted to play in front of a crowd and not behind closed doors and stated at the time his game was not yet ready.

But the likelihood of fans returning to live snooker events by the time the Welsh Open starts is almost impossible with both England and Wales in lockdown until mid-February at least.

Postby Cloud Strife

Alex0paul wrote:Why are the BBC not calling him out on this

Somebody really ought to call him and Hearn out on this.

If it was Ronnie pulling this sort of stunt he'd get dragged over the coals and we wouldn't hear the end of it, but for some reason Hendry gets a free pass.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Why are the BBC not calling him out on this

Somebody really ought to call him and Hearn out on this.

If it was Ronnie pulling this sort of stunt he'd get dragged over the coals and we wouldn't hear the end of it, but for some reason Hendry gets a free pass.

I thought everybody just already accepted that he looked a bit of a bernard because of this.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerEd25 wrote:And what is ‘a bit of a Bernard’?

Swear-filter strikes again?

:chin:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bernard

Bernard
A tall, dark, handsome guy that is strong and brave as a bear. He always makes you laugh, and have a nice personality. He’s pretty much a humbled guy. He’s nice, friendly, cool, unique and a smart person. But usually not too focus at having friends.

Postby SnookerEd25

Hmmm. I’m struggling to equate that with Stephen Hendry if I’m honest.

More a Mark Williams-type (if he were a bit more handsome but, hey, thats in the eye of the beholder, I guess)

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:And what is ‘a bit of a Bernard’?

Swear-filter strikes again?

:chin:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bernard

Bernard
A tall, dark, handsome guy that is strong and brave as a bear. He always makes you laugh, and have a nice personality. He’s pretty much a humbled guy. He’s nice, friendly, cool, unique and a smart person. But usually not too focus at having friends.

Yeah, that's not what I meant.