Post a reply

SI's greatest matches - the OPEN edition

Postby Pink Ball

Hello ladies and gentlemen

You may remember 2 years ago, I asked Snooker Island voters to PM me their top 10 greatest matches of all time, but there were lots of conditions involved: a match had to be best of 17 at least, and it had to be tight.

This time, I'm opening it up hugely. You can pick ANY recognised competitive, professional match from the 1927 World Championship up to December 31, 2023. Send me your 10 picks, ordered from 1 to 10, any time before April 12th, 2024. Again, I'll use the F1 scoring system.

The only condition is that a match has to be nominated by at least two posters to qualify for the final list. This is to limit the chances of any joke entries appearing (please try to be as honest as possible rather than skewing the results for a laugh).

Re: SI's greatest matches - the OPEN edition

Postby Juddernaut88

Pink Ball wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Can you include best of 9 matches and best of 11s? I may not include those matches but having a large choice of options available will be good.

All matches allowed. Length and final score don’t matter.

<ok>

Postby Prop

I’ll have to give this some thought. My memory isn’t great so I might come up with a load of nonsense. This may take some time.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't know if I should include it, as it features a banned player.

But at the time I bored everyone on the site, by raving about the China Open 2011 match between Mark Willams and Stephen Lee. In which Mark Williams made four centuries, and still lost 5-4. I believe he even made a 50 in one of the frames that he lost too. Possibly the deciding frame, but it's been 13 years, and that might be my mind playing tricks on me.

Postby SnookerFan

And talking of 2011, I'll put the 18-15 final where John Higgins beat Judd Trump. Trump played unreal all tournament, and lead after the first day.

I was lucky enough to be in all four sessions of that match, and the ovation the players got coming into the final session was unlike anything I've seen for a snooker match.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:And talking of 2011, I'll put the 18-15 final where John Higgins beat Judd Trump. Trump played unreal all tournament, and lead after the first day.

I was lucky enough to be in all four sessions of that match, and the ovation the players got coming into the final session was unlike anything I've seen for a snooker match.

I didn't like that match >-(

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:And talking of 2011, I'll put the 18-15 final where John Higgins beat Judd Trump. Trump played unreal all tournament, and lead after the first day.

I didn't like that match >-(

AND THAT MATCH DIDN'T LIKE YOU! :grrr:

Postby mack501

Empire State Human wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Mack501 has submitted his list.

1. Mark Allen 3-2 Reanne Evans British Open 2021

2. Mark Allen 3-2 Reanne Evans British Open 2021

999. Mark Allen 3-2 Reanne Evans British Open 2021

No that match isn't on the list.

Postby Pink Ball

Only two lists submitted yet, and one of them was mine. We need to start getting a move on or I'll scrap this and there'll be no fun for anyone.

Looking at the list Mack501 submitted, I think the final rankings could be bonkers and great fun, not that Mack picked bad matches or anything, but the current top 20 is already much wilder than what I had when I did the closed version of this.

As long as people aren't blatantly taking the snake hiss, I'll waive the requirement that a match needs two nominations to be valid when I've received all submissions.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:Only two lists submitted yet, and one of them was mine. We need to start getting a move on or I'll scrap this and there'll be no fun for anyone.

Looking at the list Mack501 submitted, I think the final rankings could be bonkers and great fun, not that Mack picked bad matches or anything, but the current top 20 is already much wilder than what I had when I did the closed version of this.

As long as people aren't blatantly taking the snake hiss, I'll waive the requirement that a match needs two nominations to be valid when I've received all submissions.

Tbh it’s just way too big an ask for someone with match memory as bad as mine